The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do!

I was planning on taking history, philosophy and photography for A-level. In order to get into uni it would be better to take a subject like English. Should I swap photography for English language or are philosophy and English too alike?
Reply 1
Original post by maddybarton_
I was planning on taking history, philosophy and photography for A-level. In order to get into uni it would be better to take a subject like English. Should I swap photography for English language or are philosophy and English too alike?

I mean...it really depends on what you want to do at Uni?
ask teachers, research the content of all courses, different unis have different requirements on the courses. e.g. if u wanna do history of america, one uni will ask you to have an a level in english lit as they teach american history from a literature and art point of view, whereas one will ask u to have an a level in history because.. duh
I don’t know yet, I want to keep my options open as possible. What combination would allow me to do that?
i don't think having english language as an a level would make you a better candidate for a course unless it was an english course, and even then i would go for english literature. philosophy and english aren't similar at all though so don't worry about that.
it's hard to say what subjects you should take if you aren't sure what area you want to study at uni!
in general people say to pick your a-levels around your uni choice, "keeping your options open" is generally not considered the wisest thing to do? but i think that might be because for subjects like medicine, you need AAA in chemisty, biology and another science related subject. but you don't sound like you want to go into medicine :tongue:
i personally think that if you don't know yet, keeping your original options (philosophy, photography, history) sounds good :smile: then once you decide, just make sure you sound really passionate on your personal statement so the university knows you're committed
Thank you, I would love to go to uni but unsure on what I would do. I’m not planning on continuing photography in the future, do you think taking photography would close my options?

Quick Reply

Latest