The Student Room Group

Havent even started uni but feel like I’ve already chosen the wrong degree

I feel like I’ve chosen the wrong degree. I’m currently doing an art foundation applied this year for art subjects like animation and illustration. Last year I had a deferred place for engineering at UCL and I was convinced I was going to do it. Then I started on foundation and J changed my mind and wanted to pursue arts. I’ve started receiving offers and at first I was really excited but now I’m deeping it and feel really unsure. I really enjoyed my a-levels doing physics maths and art and I did really well so know I would be capable of doing a subject in stem. I know my family would love if I told them I wanted to change course but its really hard to know if this is just a phase or wether I would be more happy doing engineering or physics. Besides if I applied it would have to be for next year meaning I would be turning 21 and in first year 😭😭. IDK everything just seems to confusing and I find it so hard to know ultimately what I want to do in the future.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Okay so...

It may feel like that at first, but you may learn to love it? You could look at the aspects of each subject area and lists its pros and cons (I know I did this for CS and Maths). My question is what made you want to purse arts? Was it the job prospects? Did it line up with what you wanted at that time? And have that changed? That feeling of unsureness, could it be from knowing that engineering has good oppourtunities? Ultimately, it's doing something you feel deeply passionate for. And I think to determine that is, would you go out your way to learn more about that subject (like as a hobby)? For example in maths, reading outside of a taught area.

It's great that you did really in your A-Levels, and is very capable of doing a STEM subject. That's great, but don't let that discourage you in trying to pursue arts. Both equally as good. The only way to know if it is a phase or not, is to just take both of the classes. If your current university has a engineering course, then go to some of its lectures. See how it goes. You may find it to be different to what you are expecting.

Your family would love if you wanted to change course? I would say, just do what you want to do. At the end of the day, it is your life and don't let others influence into something you don't want.

The age doesn't matter. Trust me. I know 3 people in my maths class that are much older than the rest. And maths is a wildly unpopular subject, yet there are 3 peolple much older than the rest. Don't feel discouraged about this, we all take our time and each have different paces.

And from this, I wish you the best of luck in finding what you wanna do! Remember to just take your time, no need to rush!
@Anna_dcliff

It's great that you are talented and that there are different options available to you!

It is so difficult to be making a decision about your future career, when you can see yourself doing many things.

Perhaps you will not have one career. Perhaps you will do many things.

You do not have to have it all figured out now, but you do need to make a decision.

Definitely listen to the advice of your family and people who know you well. They will give you different things to think about, but ultimately it has to be your decision.

I did science and art subjects for A' levels and went on to do a degree in Fine Art. I really loved it but continuing with art afterwards was really difficult, from money for a studio space, to applying for art internships at galleries, to inspiration and motivation to keep producing art.

I don't regret doing my degree and I still love the arts, but when it's been a couple of years out of uni and things are not coming together and you're just doing bits and pieces, trying to get some cash, it can be demoralising. (It's horrible to be a broke graduate!)

I have now found my way back to the world of science and I am doing a degree in podiatry.

So do consider the financial aspect and what your long term aim would be if you did a career in the arts.

Are you looking to work for an arts charity, go into teaching or work as an artist?
Do you have the financial support or the motivation to keep doing art work even if you have to balance this with other work?
What does a successful career in the arts look like for you?
If you were to pursue a STEM career, what would you do? Have you explored different areas of interest?

Take your time to make a decision.

Do your research.

Make a decision. (Write down your reasons for making your decision, so that later on if you feel worried or panicked about your decision you can look back at your reasons.)

Don't panic!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anna_dcliff
I feel like I’ve chosen the wrong degree. I’m currently doing an art foundation applied this year for art subjects like animation and illustration. Last year I had a deferred place for engineering at UCL and I was convinced I was going to do it. Then I started on foundation and J changed my mind and wanted to pursue arts. I’ve started receiving offers and at first I was really excited but now I’m deeping it and feel really unsure. I really enjoyed my a-levels doing physics maths and art and I did really well so know I would be capable of doing a subject in stem. I know my family would love if I told them I wanted to change course but its really hard to know if this is just a phase or wether I would be more happy doing engineering or physics. Besides if I applied it would have to be for next year meaning I would be turning 21 and in first year 😭😭. IDK everything just seems to confusing and I find it so hard to know ultimately what I want to do in the future.

Hi,

Sorry that you are feeling down. Safe to say, this is completely normal, being unsure of what you want to do.
Things to look out for:
Entry requirements and grades.
Course content.
The university or college.
Tuition and extra fees.
Opportunities offered (such as placements, study abroad, industry links).
What you'll be studying for.
The level of satisfaction you'll get from it.
If you can handle if when it gets tough.

This might help you to make a choice. If you still are unable to decide, don't fret, you can do any of them and come back to Uni and do the other while working or in your free time. Or attend the first year and if you still fancy it then go for it! You never know, one day you might just decide what you want but I hope this makes things clearer!

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending