The Student Room Group

Oxbridge/Imperial Medicine 2019 Entry Hopefuls

Hello fellow to-be doctors of the world,

Just as the year 13's have given in their application (good luck guys!), I thought it would be interesting to see what us year 12's are doing at the moment. So if you want to do medicine at either Oxford or Cambridge or Imperial, please state the following:

What you got for GCSES
What you've taken at A-level
Predicted (A2 not AS) grades (only if you've been given them already)
What grades you think you'll get
Which University you wish to receive an offer from
What work experience do you currently do

Remember guys,this is just for fun, PLEASE DO NOT be downhearted if other people have got higher grades than you, also PLEASE DO NOT try to tell others that they're not good enough, as it is not all depending on grades.

Lets see what we have to offer!

Scroll to see replies

Ok, so I'll start off.

1. 10 A*, 1 B (english language)
2. Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and EPQ (equivalent to half an a-level)
3. My expected grades for AS based on a national average of GCSE attainment is AAAA.
4. I'm not being 'extra', but i think i can hopefully get A*A*A*A*, AND A* (EPQ) with hard work, and the help of God.
4. I want to apply to Oxford (haven't decided on college) as 1st choice, and Imperial as Second.
5. I currently volunteer on a weekly basis at a carehome.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
4th year medical student at Imperial. @ me if you need any advice. Good luck!
Original post by Phteven

Thx for your help! What subjects did you take for a level and what were your final grades at gcse and a level?
Original post by Phteven

what was your BMAT score?
Imperial have no gcse requirement except B in English language and passes in the rest. They rank based on Bmat.
What you got for GCSES
GCSE: 4A* 5A
A Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. Doing AS level in physics and A levels in the rest.
Predictions: we don’t have them yet. Aiming for A*A*A at least.
I want to get A*A*A*
Where I want to go: Manchester, Birmingham, Kings, Barts, imperial, Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool. Basically big city universities :wink:

I have done a 2 day placement in the hospital last week... also starting volunteering in the hospital in December.

Hoping to smash out UKCAT and BMAT to get into my chosen universities.
Reply 7
10A*s, predictions all As - maths, chem, bio, French
applying to Oxford, imperial, ucl, Nottingham - lol I have to smash the bmat
Also I went to a taster course by carpe diem scholars which was awesome, run by students from Oxford, Cambridge etc. Gives you essential info before applying and makes application stand out showing interest. Also try out Sutton and qmul but they weren't as good in my opinion, Id defo go to the carpe diem scholars one
Reply 8
Original post by turbanator165
what was your BMAT score?

5.4, 5.5, 5A, but the score needed varies year to year!
Reply 9
Original post by Uranium Potato

Hiya! I'm glad that someone's made a thread for us 2019 entry lot, because there haven't really been any so far. (I mostly see threads by Year 13's applying now, and I wonder where all the people like me are.)

In my GCSE's I got 10A* (Shock of my life hahaha)
I study chemistry, biology, mathematics and AS psychology. I hope to do an extended project next year.
My predicted grades are A*A*A*A
I honestly don't know what I'll get as i've been struggling to get motivated lately. But I'd love to get at least 2 A*'s!
I would die a very happy gal if I got an offer from Oxford. But really, I don't mind where I study medicine, I just want to study it.
I have so far only done a week at the hospital as work experience but hope to do a lot more.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nylrehs
Hiya! I'm glad that someone's made a thread for us 2019 entry lot, because there haven't really been any so far. (I mostly see threads by Year 13's applying now, and I wonder where all the people like me are.)

In my GCSE's I got 10A* (Thank God)
I study chemistry, biology, mathematics and AS psychology. I hope to do an extended project next year.
My predicted grades are A*A*A*A
I honestly don't know what I'll get as i've been struggling to get motivated lately. But I'd love to get at least 2 A*'s!
I would die a very happy gal if I got an offer from Oxford. But really, I don't mind where I study medicine, I just want to study it.
I have so far only done a week at the hospital as work experience but hope to do a lot more.

Nice, I'm struggling with the motivation part too! Hope the holidays will give me a bit more energy lol. Are you going to any open days next year?
Nice, I'm struggling with the motivation part too! Hope the holidays will give me a bit more energy lol. Are you going to any open days next year?

I hope to do so! I’ve been doing a little research on different universities too. How about u?
Original post by nylrehs
I hope to do so! I’ve been doing a little research on different universities too. How about u?

I've looked mainly at Oxford but not that much at Cambridge. That's about it so far lol, might do some research over the holidays on different universities! Are you going to apply for a nuffield research placement over the summer?
I've looked mainly at Oxford but not that much at Cambridge. That's about it so far lol, might do some research over the holidays on different universities! Are you going to apply for a nuffield research placement over the summer?

It’s something I’m considering but as they take up so many weeks, I’m still thinking about it. I’d like to be doing more hospital related work experience and other application preparation over the summer as well so don’t want anything too time consuming

Just as the year 13's have given in their application (good luck guys!), I thought it would be interesting to see what us year 12's are doing at the moment. So if you want to do medicine at either Oxford or Cambridge or Imperial, please state the following:

What you got for GCSES
What you've taken at A-level
Predicted (A2 not AS) grades (only if you've been given them already)
What grades you think you'll get
Which University you wish to receive an offer from
What work experience do you currently do

Remember guys,this is just for fun, PLEASE DO NOT be downhearted if other people have got higher grades than you, also PLEASE DO NOT try to tell others that they're not good enough, as it is not all depending on grades.

Jeez you guys have good stats

1. 8 A*'s 2 A's
2. Maths Bio and Chem
3. Not been predicted anything
4. Hoping for 3 A's
5. I'd love to go to UCL, but I'd honestly go anywhere
6. Haven't done any yet :/

How are you coping with 4 a levels and an EPQ OP ?
You're not much less lol. It's not too bad so far. We do EPQ in lesson and i try to do it there and then and not do it at home. I revise all the other subjects at home though, and I don't know, I might even drop one for next year. How are your a-levels going?
You're not much less lol. It's not too bad so far. We do EPQ in lesson and i try to do it there and then and not do it at home. I revise all the other subjects at home though, and I don't know, I might even drop one for next year. How are your a-levels going?

A levels haven't been too bad and I'm thinking of starting an EPQ. I just havent done any volunteering and I really need to start this month
International Student here
GCE O Levels:- 7A* 4As 1B
A Levels:- Biology, Chemistry, Physics , Psychology and Global Perspectives and Research.
3- Haven't been predicted anything.
4- Wanna get into any medical school but Cambridge would be nice..
5- Have done internship at a local hospital and volunteered with an NGO teaching underprivielged children.

I am like super scared about these med school applications... Currently thinking of applying to Cambridge Manchester Edinburgh and Glasgow/Nottingham
Original post by hamza.shah24
International Student here
GCE O Levels:- 7A* 4As 1B
A Levels:- Biology, Chemistry, Physics , Psychology and Global Perspectives and Research.
3- Haven't been predicted anything.
4- Wanna get into any medical school but Cambridge would be nice..
5- Have done internship at a local hospital and volunteered with an NGO teaching underprivielged children.

I am like super scared about these med school applications... Currently thinking of applying to Cambridge Manchester Edinburgh and Glasgow/Nottingham

That's a good range of a levels, so where are you from?
Pakistan... :smile:
I gather you are a home student?

Latest

Trending

Trending