The Student Room Group

GCSE options help

I'm picking my GCSE options soon and I think I want to be a lawyer so I originally was thinking about picking History, French and Drama. But now, I'm thinking about being a doctor instead. We only get to pick 3 options and I want my options to be open so once I decide I'll be able to be a doctor or a lawyer in the future. What GCSE options should I pick?

Compulsory subjects are:
English literature
English language
Combined Science
Maths
Religious Studies

We get to pick three options out of this list:
Art
Computer Science
Design & Technology
Drama
Engineering
Geography
History
Hospitality & Catering
French
Music
Photography
PE
Sociology
Statistics
Triple Science
Textiles
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What options do you have?
Reply 2
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
What options do you have?

Art
Computer Science
Design & Technology
Drama
Engineering
Geography
History
Hospitality & Catering
French
Music
Photography
PE
Sociology
Statistics
Triple Science
Textiles
Not History because there’s so much to remember
Which subjects do you have to take at your school, and which are optional?

But I can tell you that I did History and French at GCSE and have applied for medicine at uni, and one of my classmates also did History and French and has applied to do law.
Reply 5
Original post by kristewart
Which subjects do you have to take at your school, and which are optional?

But I can tell you that I did History and French at GCSE and have applied for medicine at uni, and one of my classmates also did History and French and has applied to do law.

Compulsory subjects are:
English literature
English language
Combined Science
Maths
Religious Studies

We get to pick three options out of this list:
Art
Computer Science
Design & Technology
Drama
Engineering
Geography
History
Hospitality & Catering
French
Music
Photography
PE
Sociology
Statistics
Triple Science
Textiles
I would say pick French, Triple Science and then a more vocational option. History is tough- especially with French and Science Triple Award. You won't get a break, and you'll probably need to spend more time on your core subjects + science because you'll need to pick A Level Biology. You'll also need to do training and will need a medical diploma to be a doctor- this will take a long time so you don't want to burn yourself out now.
Original post by Bekah_m
I'm picking my GCSE options soon and I think I want to be a lawyer so I originally was thinking about picking History, French and Drama. But now, I'm thinking about being a doctor instead. We only get to pick 3 options and I want my options to be open so once I decide I'll be able to be a doctor or a lawyer in the future. What GCSE options should I pick?

Your gcse options don't really matter, it's your a-levels that dictate what you are able to do in the future in university e.t.c. (i was told this when i picked my gcse options but didn't really listen and lowkey regretted it) But, i would suggest that you should definitely think about doing double or triple science, as to be a doctor you must have biology and chemistry as a-levels and to do those a-levels, you need to do well in your gcse sciences. If you're thinking aboout doing law, i would suggest doing gcse history so you get an idea of how it might be for you in the future. However, you don't have to do gcse history to do a-level history, so don't worry, you don't actually have to pick gcse history if you dont want to, and you'll still be able to do law in the future. If double science is compulsory in your school or it doesnt take up one of your options, i would suggest that you go with your original choices of drama, history and french. Whatever you choose for your gcse options, make sure you pick at least one subject that you know you're really going to enjoy, because you might kind of regret it later in 2 years' time since gcse subjects don't completely choose your future for you. All you gotta really do is make sure you get good grades. good luck with choosing your options, your gcses and have fun in this exciting,stressful and interesting chapter of your life. Any more questions, feel free to ask me! :h:
Reply 8
Original post by drwhoisit
I would say pick French, Triple Science and then a more vocational option. History is tough- especially with French and Science Triple Award. You won't get a break, and you'll probably need to spend more time on your core subjects + science because you'll need to pick A Level Biology. You'll also need to do training and will need a medical diploma to be a doctor- this will take a long time so you don't want to burn yourself out now.

But how about if I want to be a a lawyer? History is really good if you want to go into law and I want to try keep my options open for being a doctor and a lawyer. So should I pick Triple science, French and something else, maybe a creative subject e.g. drama?
Reply 9
Original post by kawaii sashimi
Your gcse options don't really matter, it's your a-levels that dictate what you are able to do in the future in university e.t.c. (i was told this when i picked my gcse options but didn't really listen and lowkey regretted it) But, i would suggest that you should definitely think about doing double or triple science, as to be a doctor you must have biology and chemistry as a-levels and to do those a-levels, you need to do well in your gcse sciences. If you're thinking aboout doing law, i would suggest doing gcse history so you get an idea of how it might be for you in the future. However, you don't have to do gcse history to do a-level history, so don't worry, you don't actually have to pick gcse history if you dont want to, and you'll still be able to do law in the future. If double science is compulsory in your school or it doesnt take up one of your options, i would suggest that you go with your original choices of drama, history and french. Whatever you choose for your gcse options, make sure you pick at least one subject that you know you're really going to enjoy, because you might kind of regret it later in 2 years' time since gcse subjects don't completely choose your future for you. All you gotta really do is make sure you get good grades. good luck with choosing your options, your gcses and have fun in this exciting,stressful and interesting chapter of your life. Any more questions, feel free to ask me! :h:

I heard that you have to do triple science if you want to be a doctor. Could I just do combined science and still be a doctor, if I decide that's what I want to do ?
Triple Science, History and Drama/Sociology/French
You already have RE as a compulsory which is good meaning you have more choices for keeping your options open towards both sides. You'll have the Triple Science for doctor and the RE for law. That too Sociology, French and Drama are good for law. Now you have a wide range though it's really your A Levels that will matter.
Original post by Bekah_m
But how about if I want to be a a lawyer? History is really good if you want to go into law and I want to try keep my options open for being a doctor and a lawyer. So should I pick Triple science, French and something else, maybe a creative subject e.g. drama?

If you want to do law, stick with core subjects at A Level I think? I'm a year 11 and I'm just regurgitating knowledge i've heard. And Drama is good but also takes up a lot of time. It is very relaxed though and isn't as intense though still tricky. I'd say Drama, French and Triple Science.
I would suggest taking Triple Science because if you do end up deciding to go down the medicine route, that would be really helpful down the line.

History is fine for medicine (after all, I did it!), but I think it would be helpful to you if you ended up choosing law because I know most, if not all, of the law applicants at my school take history, and based on my own experience of it/what I've heard from A Level, the essay writing, reading and critiquing of sources required in History could really help with studying law.

For your third option, I think French would be more beneficial than drama, especially if you want to go to a uni like UCL who require a language GCSE (for medicine at least), but otherwise pick any other subject you want to fill that last space, I think you'd be fine.
Original post by Bekah_m
I heard that you have to do triple science if you want to be a doctor. Could I just do combined science and still be a doctor, if I decide that's what I want to do ?

You definiately do not have to do triple science if you want to be a doctor. How many gcses do you get at the end of combined science? 1 or 2? tbh, if you do triple science, it gives you the most teeniest advantage when you do your a-levels and whatever science you do in the future. Because, as soon as your gcses are over and you have that wonderully long summer holiday, you tend to forget most of the science, so it doesn't matter whether or not you do triple and it doesn't affect your chances of becoming a doctor. i did triple and every single one of my triple peers are at the same level of knowledgeas those in my class now who did additional/double science at gcse. triple did get a bit overwhelming at times.
Reply 14
Original post by deltagolf
Triple Science, History and Drama/Sociology/French
You already have RE as a compulsory which is good meaning you have more choices for keeping your options open towards both sides. You'll have the Triple Science for doctor and the RE for law. That too Sociology, French and Drama are good for law. Now you have a wide range though it's really your A Levels that will matter.

What do you think I should pick out of French and Sociology
Original post by Bekah_m
What do you think I should pick out of French and Sociology

I am doing GCSE French myself and I enjoy it a lot, pretty much from the end of Year 8 I started to enjoy French a lot and would do quite well in it then I had to do French as a compulsory subject. Had I been given the less academic pathway for choosing my GCSEs I would have still chosen French either way. I'd say for French you need to be able to understand it well. Mainly you need to be able to understand the grammar of the language and be able to retain loads of vocabulary in your head. If you are currently doing French and you think you do well in it and if you genuinely enjoy it then pick it, in addition to that you will be studying all EBacc subjects and if you pass all your GCSEs then it would look good for you school. Both ways you are learning a new skill and you are doing something good for your school. The other day I was reading an article about MFLs and Law careers, you might want to take a look: https://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/jul/07/the-case-for-foreign-languages-as-an-aspiring-lawyer
As for Sociology I think it's quite good for law. It is all about understanding society, its structures, processes and issues. I think Unit 2 of Sociology seems quite good for a law route, Crime and Deviance; Mass Media; Power; Social Inequality. It would be quite useful. To be fair you could even decide to do Sociology and French in place of Triple Science because if you want to be a doctor you just need Biology and Chemistry A Levels. It is really your A Levels that matter. I actually think it would be better if you chose French because from browsing the internet I have seen many people saying they have done an A Level in an MFL and gone onto a law degree whereas I have not really seen many people mentioning Sociology. GCSE French will lead onto A Level French. However, this is your GCSEs so pick subjects you think you will be comfortable with and subjects you enjoy.
Textiles is a really good subject apparently, I don’t take it but it’s popular at my school. For your career i would say Textiles History and Statistics or Triple Sci
You should be fine with those 3. Some of the top universities require you to have a language (which you would do with French), but this requirement is petering out. History is good for Law as they usually want people with humanities. If looking to be a Doctor you only need to have Biology and Chemistry at A-Level. Bio isn't essential at A-Level but it is much more helpful than to not have it
Reply 18
I'm currently doing History and the new GCSEs make history horrendously hard! So much to learn in so little time and with other subjects clogging your mind; not worth in my opinion. Sociology would be good cause you can understand society and well for a doctor and lawyer you need to understand people and where they come from. French is always a good choice as no matter what you do languages are liked! Also, triple science is good if one you're not that good at a particular science as that 'rotten apple' won't pull your score down like it does in combined!

My advice though is to pick what you want to pick at GCSE. As long as you get good enough maths and English language, not many options at college will be cut off to you. You may change your mind a bajillion times before you finally enter the work area so choosing what you enjoy at KS3 will help you get through GCSEs and help find a job that you actually like and is closer to your interests.

Hope this helps you :smile:
History, French and Triple Science would leave your doors open, to either Medicine or Law!

Quick Reply

Latest