The Student Room Group

English literature mock exam Edexcel.

Tomorrow I am doing an exam on poetry, on which I will be assessed on Keats, and some contemporary poetry.

How would I structure my Keats essay, all the question would ask is "I what ways does Keats present poetic ambition in poem 1 and poem 2.

The second essay will be on an unseen poem and a contemporary poem I've studied.

I really wanted to get someone's opinion on a methodical way to structure such a question.
Reply 1
First I would suggest 5 mins for planning. For the seen part of the section I list down the theme (what’s presented, how it’s presented etc...), structure, ideas, and language. Then I list those for the other poem. Then just compare in the essay. Eg: Keats presents poetic ambition as....in poem 1 with the use of an extended metaphor..... In poem 2 poetic ambition is presented as....
Do that for theme, structure, ideas and language and you should be fine. I would recommend structuring each paragraph like this:
-Point about a theme/structure/language/idea
- What it means
-Alternative idea
How it links to the whole poem
-why the poet has done this
Switch between poems from paragraph to paragraph. Good luck!
Reply 2
For the unseen part do the same, however you made need longer planning time.
Original post by Saftwo
For the unseen part do the same, however you made need longer planning time.

Thank you so much, such a big help!
by al
Original post by Saftwo
First I would suggest 5 mins for planning. For the seen part of the section I list down the theme (what’s presented, how it’s presented etc...), structure, ideas, and language. Then I list those for the other poem. Then just compare in the essay. Eg: Keats presents poetic ambition as....in poem 1 with the use of an extended metaphor..... In poem 2 poetic ambition is presented as....
Do that for theme, structure, ideas and language and you should be fine. I would recommend structuring each paragraph like this:
-Point about a theme/structure/language/idea
- What it means
-Alternative idea
How it links to the whole poem
-why the poet has done this
Switch between poems from paragraph to paragraph. Good luck!

By the way, what do you mean by an alternative idea?
Reply 5
Original post by MansRatherchilly
by alBy the way, what do you mean by an alternative idea?

Such as: Keats could also be referring to the intensity portrayed by the ....as well as the ambition.

This shows the assessor that you recognise poetry can be subjective and that you have a broad knowledge of the poem as you can think of more than one interpretation.
This isn’t needed in every paragraph but is just an extra thing to put in to get closer to the 7/8/9
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest