The Student Room Group

as further maths roots of polynomial

I am struggling with 8d and e. Can someone help plz?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Help plz
Bump
Sorry can't really help you haven't done this chapter yet
Anyone done this before?
I did this in November/December I think, I haven't been able to do d yet but I just got e and it's correct according to the book.
What have you tried so far?
Reply 6
Original post by ralph9694
I did this in November/December I think, I haven't been able to do d yet but I just got e and it's correct according to the book.
What have you tried so far?

I got to (-3/4)^2- 6(4/3) but I got terms afterwards to get to the answer for the question that I can’t factorise. Can u show me method for e? I can’t work it out
(edited 6 years ago)
for e I started out expanding (αβγ+αβδ+αγδ+βγδ)2 (\alpha\beta\gamma + \alpha\beta\delta + \alpha\gamma\delta + \beta\gamma\delta)^2 and the comparing that to what is in the question
for e I started out expanding (αβγ+αβδ+αγδ+βγδ)2 (\alpha\beta\gamma + \alpha\beta\delta + \alpha\gamma\delta + \beta\gamma\delta)^2 and the comparing that to what is in the question

Thanks I’ll try that out. Have u got anywhere with d?
I'm trying a similar thing, expanding another squared bracket, 6 terms in each, so it's taking a while.

And do the same for (αβ)2(\sum \alpha\beta)^{2}
Original post by blockingHD
And do the same for (\sum_\alpha\beta)^{2}[\latex]

That’s the bit where I am stuck. I worked all that out but I can’t factorise them into the values I know. Not all the algebra have the same letter.
(edited 6 years ago)
with part e, after expanding the brackets, ignoring the (αβγ)2(\alpha\beta\gamma)^2 terms, try taking out a common factor (one should jump out) of everything left over
(edited 6 years ago)
with part e, after expanding the brackets, ignoring the (αβγ)2(\alpha\beta\gamma)^2 terms, try taking out a common factor (one should jump out) of everything left over

Thanks I ve got the right answer for e now
I just got it for d using the same method
I just got it for d using the same method

What is the common factor? I can’t seem to find it
I think for d it's a bit harder, I initially saw the αβγδ \alpha\beta\gamma\delta and put it aside as we are told what it's value is, but I realised it was useful to add 2 more of it if that makes sense, and then factorise from there.
Reply 18
Original post by Janej77
I am struggling with 8d and e. Can someone help plz?

For d, If you've covered the substitution method a much less tedious method for this question is to first write out the quartic polynomial in the form

x4+bx3+cx2+dx+ex^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e

Then find the polynomial with roots α2,β2,γ2\alpha^2, \beta^2, \gamma^2 and δ2\delta^2 by using substitution.

You'll only need to find the coefficient of x3x^3 in this polynomial since this will be equal to α2β2-\sum \alpha^2\beta^2 which is what you need.

And part e can be done in a similar way.

If you've covered the substitution method and want more help with this then let me know.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Janej77
How would I go on to find sum alpha ^2 beta ^2? I’ve learned substitution for linear transformation

Do you know how to find a polynomial with roots α2,β2,γ2,δ2\alpha^2, \beta^2, \gamma^2, \delta^2 if you have the polynomial with roots α,β,γ,δ\alpha, \beta, \gamma, \delta?

Then in this new polynomial the sum of the product of two roots i.e. α2β2+α2γ2+...\alpha^2\beta^2 + \alpha^2\gamma^2 + ... is what the question is asking for.

So you need to find the coefficient of x^3 in this new polynomial.

Quick Reply

Latest