The Student Room Group

BT apprenticeship scheme 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WaqarAliShabir
Hi Guys

I have been invited to BT Apprenticeship Service Operations - Assessment Centre on 11th July Manchester

Can someone please tell me what to expect? What is the best way to prepare? etc.

Thanks

When I did mine it was pretty much standard stuff. The day I went to consisted of an interview, a group task and a presentation that I had to prepare for in my own time.

The interview was pretty much standard stuff. The thing I'd say you need to prepare for is learning how the company works and what they are expecting of you when you go to work there.

The group task was easy, you get given all of the information and then all you need to do is present a few ideas and not talk over anyone else. You all need to take part so make sure no one is sitting there saying nothing.

The presentation was a tad tricky but was okay. Just prepare enough information to keep talking for a few minutes. You're allowed notes so you should be okay on that front. After you have been speaking for a few minutes they will ask you some generic questions about how this would help BT and stuff like that. Once again make sure you know how BT works and what they expect from you as a worker.
Original post by Clara725
😢😢😢 Honestly Ive been thinking about it all day today 😢😢😢 worst part is I havent heard anything at all, even an email saying they hventbforggoten abojt me etc. Like what other on here got 💔💔

I didn't receive a reply for ages either. I sent them an email asking if they did actually receive my application and then they got back in touch with me quite quickly after that.

Send them an email and let them know that you are still interested.
Reply 182
What did they say
I applied for BT Business and Public Sector Core Construction Engineer apprenticeship Advanced on the 19th June, That Monday evening I completed the situational strengths test and immediately received an update stating how I was progressing to the next stage, I completed the video interview on the 26th of June, I received only one more update from BT, this was on the 27th of June stating I had passed the screening and was being considered for an assessment center... Kinda annoying waiting in that state of completely unknown if they are going to be willing to give a place on an assessment centre. Looking for a change in career, these BT apprenticeships seem like a hell of an opportunity, fingers crossed I hear something soon. First time posting on here too, made an account just to comment in here. I am a little concerned that i am going to receive an email stating that the vacancies are filled, try again next year? any thoughts? Northern Ireland based.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ssstephennn
I applied for BT Business and Public Sector Core Construction Engineer apprenticeship Advanced on the 19th June, That Monday evening I completed the situational strengths test and immediately received an update stating how I was progressing to the next stage, I completed the video interview on the 26th of June, I received only one more update from BT, this was on the 27th of June stating I had passed the screening and was being considered for an assessment center... Kinda annoying waiting in that state of completely unknown if they are going to be willing to give a place on an assessment centre. Looking for a change in career, these BT apprenticeships seem like a hell of an opportunity, fingers crossed I hear something soon. First time posting on here too, made an account just to comment in here. I am a little concerned that i am going to receive an email stating that the vacancies are filled, try again next year? any thoughts? Northern Ireland based.

I applied for a different apprenticeship, but the process seems to have been long and drawn out for everybody on here.I applied at the beginning of the year(early February?) And have been given a start date of October, which will more than likely get pushed back I think.

The time inbetween recruitment stages e.g tests to video interview, was a long wait for me personally and it took he longest period of time to find out if I had been given a place at an assessment centre. In fact I had an email first saying I had passed the video interview but this did not guarantee me a place at the next stage😅 it sounds like your waiting time has been slightly less so fingers crossed you will hear from them soon but do not be downhearted or discouraged, they have even sent me numerous emails that just say "we haven't forgotten about you, thanks for your patience" type thing. Seems like it's par for the course to be honest
As I have said before I have already received an unconditional offer for the Higher Networking Apprenticeship in Ipswich.

From Situational Strength Questions to Video Interview there is quite a wait, I believe i waited around 1-2 months before receiving a video interview offer.
The video interview is nothing to worry about and just a chance for you to say a bit about yourself and your hobbies, make sure you have a sort of draft to what you are going to say as you have one attempt but don't worry if you make a mistake just carry on.
I attended my assessment centre with around 12-15 others and made a mental note as to who might stand in my way of achieving a job offer...
After meeting everyone else and meeting our fellow colleagues should we be successful we then had a group panel talk where we had 1 min to study X information and then explain our given topic to the "dragons?" essentially.

Not much to say about presentation interview other than be original and confident, also make endless notes as it shows time and effort.
Reply 186
Anyone know anything about BT Fleet?
Reply 187
I have been invited to the assessment centre. Does anyone know what kind of things to expect?
Not sure on what problems that they want us to talk about or try and solve.
any help would be great.
Hi can I just ask how long you were waiting between your video interview and being invited to the assessment centre thanks!
Reply 189
Original post by JackJ493
Hi can I just ask how long you were waiting between your video interview and being invited to the assessment centre thanks!

It was about a week.
Hello guys, very nervous for the video interview, can anyone tell me what types of questions to expect?

Cheers 😀
Original post by Harrybrown1992
Hello guys, very nervous for the video interview, can anyone tell me what types of questions to expect?

Cheers 😀

Currently sat at my job with BT 😂 interview isn’t that bad. Nothint security related (on cyber security apprenticeship) just general questions so that they can get a feel of who you are. If it’s with Sonru, you will get as many practice questions as you like that aren’t sent to BT. Have a go at them, they’ll give you a feel of what to expect 😊
Hi Deerreed,I started with BT this year on a HR apprenticeship so if you've got any general questions I might be able to help :smile: The video interview for my apprenticeship seemed more about getting a taste of your personality than anything else, quite general questions and you get to practice every answer and watch your self back as many times as you want, but when you are ready to record, you get one shot and can't watch it back. My biggest tip there would be to smile and be yourself, be enthusiastic :smile:
what were the questions you were asked for the video interview? can anyone remember??
Original post by Tommunnelly
what were the questions you were asked for the video interview? can anyone remember??

For the video interview they just asked you stuff a long the lines of "How would you work well in BT" "What would you bring to BT" "How could you apply your skills to your role in BT"

Stuff a long the lines of that. For me personally the questions were no the hard part, the hard part was me trying to present myself well on camera as it was a really strange experience.

Also I found the practice questions really hard, so I spent ages on them trying to do them and then I worked myself up for the actual thing which wasn't good.

I did pass the video interview and I also passed the session where you have to go down to BT and they actually interview you.
Hey guys, I have an AC coming up for an apprenticeship & I was just wondering if anyone remembers how it went. i.e. was the presentation in front of everyone (assessors, candidates etc? or just one assessor?) and were there any role play/case study exercises? any help would be so appreciated!
Original post by rdlewiss
Hey guys, I have an AC coming up for an apprenticeship & I was just wondering if anyone remembers how it went. i.e. was the presentation in front of everyone (assessors, candidates etc? or just one assessor?) and were there any role play/case study exercises? any help would be so appreciated!

I did mine arouns april time 2017. The presentation was a one-to-one with an assessor in a rather relaxed area. There were no role playing and no case study exercises, mine was for a Cyber Security Apprenticeship though, so could be different depending on the apprenticeship 😊😊
Original post by E_m_i__l_y
I did mine arouns april time 2017. The presentation was a one-to-one with an assessor in a rather relaxed area. There were no role playing and no case study exercises, mine was for a Cyber Security Apprenticeship though, so could be different depending on the apprenticeship 😊😊

Yeah mine was pretty much the same as yours, I had an interview in a room on my own with the assessor, the same as when I had the presentation. Both felt really chill and went so much quicker than I expected them to.

The group task was by far the best for me, I ended up in a group with loads of people from my local area somehow so we all kinda knew each other and just had so much chemistry so it just worked really well.

I ended up having a really good day!
Reply 198
Original post by adamjfoskett
Yeah mine was pretty much the same as yours, I had an interview in a room on my own with the assessor, the same as when I had the presentation. Both felt really chill and went so much quicker than I expected them to.

The group task was by far the best for me, I ended up in a group with loads of people from my local area somehow so we all kinda knew each other and just had so much chemistry so it just worked really well.

I ended up having a really good day!

What was the group task about? What type of questions do they ask abour your presesntation? Sorry im so nervous omg ahaha
Original post by jan20
What was the group task about? What type of questions do they ask abour your presesntation? Sorry im so nervous omg ahaha

The group task was about how should we advertise BT products and there was some different case studies etc. They asked us some questions and we had to present them with our ideas on how we would advertise the product to the general population.

Theres no need to be nervous, you just need to calm down think about it and work to your full potential.

I would definitely just in general do some research on different BT products and services that they offer before you go to the Interview. As they like it when you can throw a reference into one of their products etc as it kind of makes it look like you put some effort in to prepare before you came to the centre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending