The Student Room Group

GCSE Science Revision

This is a thread where you can all post your methods when it comes to revising for science, so you can help out others!
Post any tips that you rely on for revising and you’ll never know if it’s a solution for somebody else!

I’ll put some of my own tips down:

💗 when you make notes, don’t cram everything together! This can make it harder to read from during the exam and may make it cluttered. Use several sheets rather than one for easy revising!
💗 practise LOTS of questions! the bigger 4-6 mark questions in science rely on application skills as well as memory, which you will be able to build on in workbooks. I do OCR, but I still use the CGP AQA 10 minute tests to jog my memory! and the OCR workbook once I’ve done the 10 minute tests* If you wish to do questions over and over again, photocopy them - ask your school librarian if you haven’t got one at home
💗 it’s so much easier to make notes whilst you are learning about the topic in class, rather than piling it all up for the big exam.. it’ll stick in your head more!

*there is similar stuff in the main boards (AQA, EdExcel and OCR plus many others) so, for example, you do edexcel, it doesn’t mean you can’t use AQA 10 minute tests. just skip out the bits you haven’t learned in class yet and you can answer those another time.
Reply 1
This is a great idea! :smile:

Do you have a list of all mandatory info/success criteria? I know the SQA have them for Scottish science Qualifications. They call them ‘course support notes’ and they are a lifesaver because they only tell you exactly what you need to know.

If not, FLASHCARDS:

1) make summary cards - you will find yourself only writing important info for each topic as you only have a small card to fit it all on. Highlight definitions and examples in different colours - or any other category. It helps to imagine you are making a cheatsheet for the exam. Look over these cards before you go in.
2) make definition cards - for a lot of definitions write the word on one side and definition on the other. When working through them and questioning yourself, you want to make two piles: one of definitions you get wrong and one of definitions you get write. When you finish the pack, pick up the pile you got wrong and repeat the process. Hopefully more cards will end up in the correct pile. Just repeat until you get them all correct.
3) make question cards - write question and answer, and use the same technique as for definition cards - a correct and incorrect pile, repeating the incorrect ones.

PASTPAPER QUESTIONS - get an idea of the questions that come up again and again.
When marking, grab an extra sheet of paper and write the correct answer for any definition or explanation you got wrong. This will effectively give you a page of things you don’t know yet or need to go over.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by K8e.H
This is a great idea! :smile:

Do you have a list of all mandatory info/success criteria? I know the SQA have them for Scottish science Qualifications. They call them ‘course support notes’ and they are a lifesaver because they only tell you exactly what you need to know.

If not, FLASHCARDS:

1) make summary cards - you will find yourself only writing important info for each topic as you only have a small card to fit it all on. Highlight definitions and examples in different colours - or any other category. It helps to imagine you are making a cheatsheet for the exam. Look over these cards before you go in.
2) make definition cards - for a lot of definitions write the word on one side and definition on the other. When working through them and questioning yourself, you want to make two piles: one of definitions you get wrong and one of definitions you get write. When you finish the pack, pick up the pile you got wrong and repeat the process. Hopefully more cards will end up in the correct pile. Just repeat until you get them all correct.
3) make question cards - write question and answer, and use the same technique as for definition cards - a correct and incorrect pile, repeating the incorrect ones.

PASTPAPER QUESTIONS - get an idea of the questions that come up again and again.
When marking, grab an extra sheet of paper and write the correct answer for any definition or explanation you got wrong. This will effectively give you a page of things you don’t know yet or need to go over.

The ideas about using the flashcards more efficiently are great! I wasn't really a fan of them, but now I know some useful ways to use them!! Thank you so much! This will definitely help other students as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending