The Student Room Group

Im in year 8 should I be revising what I'm learning now?

Before I start I am fully aware that I still have years to worry about this but I'm really curious about my upcoming GCSEs. My problem is that I have went through the past year and a half (I feel) not really trying my best in all my subjects and it really bothers me, of course I know that no one can go to school everyday and do the best they can but for some reason I still feel as if there are going to be consequences to not trying my best now. What I really want to know is if once I get to year 9 and start studying what I want to study will I still need the knowledge I have now? For example I am studying French and Spanish and I'm pretty sure I have to take French for my GCSEs which I'm not happy about but I want to know if the random stuff I'm learning about now (like sentence structure and modifiers) will matter when I'm in year 9. Will I be going over everything I've learnt? If not will I get revision material on it or will I just be expected to know it?Because it is basic stuff but I don't know if it's worth going over because I do still have tests almost always to be revising for instead. If anyone who is in year 9 or above could give me some sort of idea on what I'll need to know as of now that would be great.

Edit: I'm getting a lot of comments telling me to chill and just go through year 8 carefree so that's good to hear lol
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You are in year 8. Just do your homework and revise when there are end of unit/term assessments.

Enjoy your life while you can :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
You are in year 8. Just do your homework and revise when there are end of unit/term assessments.

Enjoy your life while you can :biggrin:

What about the last year of my school where I didn't do much revision for anything do u think it would be worth going over again?
Original post by idrc
What about the last year of my school where I didn't do much revision for anything do u think it would be worth going over again?

I think the really important stuff from year 8/7 your teacher will go over again.
Reply 4
Original post by SuperHuman98
I think the really important stuff from year 8/7 your teacher will go over again.

Thanks lol I needed that hopefully it's true and I wont need to revise one years worth of French :biggrin:
Reply 5
Honestly don’t stress :smile: you will start completely new topics in year 9 when you begin the gcse course. Year 7/8 is basically just prep but the majority of what you learn will be of no use once you get to year 9. Just try your best and don’t burn yourself out !! :smile:
Original post by idrc
Before I start I am fully aware that I still have years to worry about this but I'm really curious about my upcoming GCSEs. My problem is that I have went through the past year and a half (I feel) not really trying my best in all my subjects and it really bothers me, of course I know that no one can go to school everyday and do the best they can but for some reason I still feel as if there are going to be consequences to not trying my best now. What I really want to know is if once I get to year 9 and start studying what I want to study will I still need the knowledge I have now? For example I am studying French and Spanish and I'm pretty sure I have to take French for my GCSEs which I'm not happy about but I want to know if the random stuff I'm learning about now (like sentence structure and modifiers) will matter when I'm in year 9. Will I be going over everything I've learnt? If not will I get revision material on it or will I just be expected to know it?Because it is basic stuff but I don't know if it's worth going over because I do still have tests almost always to be revising for instead. If anyone who is in year 9 or above could give me some sort of idea on what I'll need to know as of now that would be great.

Bro just chill.

Like big man thing, the last thing you want is stress and daily procrastination. The only thing worth revising for is the typical topic test and end of year test.
Reply 7
Original post by 242424
Honestly don’t stress :smile: you will start completely new topics in year 9 when you begin the gcse course. Year 7/8 is basically just prep but the majority of what you learn will be of no use once you get to year 9. Just try your best and don’t burn yourself out !! :smile:

Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Bro just chill.

Like big man thing, the last thing you want is stress and daily procrastination. The only thing worth revising for is the typical topic test and end of year test.

I'll take that advice and start to try my best then lol thanks
I feel like this doesn't get explained enough to students who are currently in the education system.

There are "Key Stages". KS1 and 2 are primary school (infants and juniors). You're currently in Key Stage 3.:yep:

KS4 is GCSEs. Until then you are following a curriculum set by the national government. When you reach GCSE you will start a new syllabus set by exam boards (which are approved, but not written by the national government).

In other words, what you're learning now will not necessarily be connected in any way to GCSEs.

Take History, as I recall the Tudors is taught in year 8 under the national curriculum. Your school may not study the Tudors as a topic at GCSE level history, so spending time revising it now won't really get you far. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do, I really admire you're enthusiasm for learning, but as others have said, take it easy for now. It gets harder.:yep:

Have you thought about what you'll pick for GCSEs?
yr 8 is the best year man enjoy it, it's basically one of those years you're supposed to make great memories of at school
Year 8 was the best. Cherish the year and do whatever just complete your homework on time. After year 10 it all goes downhill x
I tell all the kids to mess around as much as they want in year 8. Just speed homework it, and keeping in line, chill, have fun.
Reply 12
Original post by 04MR17
I feel like this doesn't get explained enough to students who are currently in the education system.

There are "Key Stages". KS1 and 2 are primary school (infants and juniors). You're currently in Key Stage 3.:yep:

KS4 is GCSEs. Until then you are following a curriculum set by the national government. When you reach GCSE you will start a new syllabus set by exam boards (which are approved, but not written by the national government).

In other words, what you're learning now will not necessarily be connected in any way to GCSEs.

Take History, as I recall the Tudors is taught in year 8 under the national curriculum. Your school may not study the Tudors as a topic at GCSE level history, so spending time revising it now won't really get you far. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do, I really admire you're enthusiasm for learning, but as others have said, take it easy for now. It gets harder.:yep:

Have you thought about what you'll pick for GCSEs?

Thank you sooo much I really didn't know this and I agree that it doesn't get explained enough/at all during ks3, this really helped me out :biggrin:
And as for my GCSEs I know I'm going to do all the sciences, maths, computing and technology because I really want to be an engineer but for languages and humanity subjects I really don't know it'll come down to what I get at the end of this year on my exams.
Reply 13
Original post by tylerthegoat
yr 8 is the best year man enjoy it, it's basically one of those years you're supposed to make great memories of at school

Original post by retro_turtles
Year 8 was the best. Cherish the year and do whatever just complete your homework on time. After year 10 it all goes downhill x

Haha thanks guys
Reply 14
Will do lol
Original post by idrc
Thank you sooo much I really didn't know this and I agree that it doesn't get explained enough/at all during ks3, this really helped me out :biggrin:
And as for my GCSEs I know I'm going to do all the sciences, maths, computing and technology because I really want to be an engineer but for languages and humanity subjects I really don't know it'll come down to what I get at the end of this year on my exams.
Ever heard of "middle school"? That is a system operating in a few parts of the country which groups Key Stages 2 and 3 together. Ages 9-13. Then you'd move schools to do GCSEs at a high school.:wink:
I wouldn't bother if I were live your life a little before you start worrying about that. When you get to year 10 you just stop caring and start winging it which usually gets you better levels in my experience. Don't stress yourself with things that won't matter in a few years
Depends on how quick you are at learning and whether your grades are passing grades, if yes wait until year 10 otherwise you will burn yourself out. If no, do simple and small things like essay structures and build your vocabulary; it will be very useful in future!
Reply 18
Original post by Beth esmes
Depends on how quick you are at learning and whether your grades are passing grades, if yes wait until year 10 otherwise you will burn yourself out. If no, do simple and small things like essay structures and build your vocabulary; it will be very useful in future!

I don't get necessarily bad grades like Bs e.t.c but I could do better
During year 7 to year 9, pretty much nothing you do will really matter. Obviously you will want to pay attention to whatever the teacher is teaching, but honestly, the only outcome of those 3 years is what set for GCSEs you get put in for year 10... But even then it hardly matters.Try not to kill anyone, do your homeworks and play football with your friends. If and when you get to A levels in a few years time you will look back at year 8 and think "pfft, revising then?" :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending