The Student Room Group

Schools Minister says more exams is the solution to Mental Health

Scroll to see replies

Changing it so that students only have one set of exams in May/June was a mistake, definitely.

I am always so amazed how out-of-touch the people in these high-flying roles are, like they're not in the real world.
Original post by bones-mccoy
I am always so amazed how out-of-touch the people in these high-flying roles are, like they're not in the real world.
:sadnod:
Hmmm I don’t think Nick Gibb is a gifted individual.
Am I being thick here or is he making no sense at all? What good will more exams do?

Ok, spreading out exams is a better idea than cramming them into the exam season in May / June.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Am I being thick here or is he making no sense at all? What good will more exams do?

Ok, spreading out exams is a better idea than cramming them into the exam season in May / June.
From what I'm reading he doesn't even want to spread them out, just add more from the age of eleven onwards so that pupils get used to them.
Original post by 04MR17
From what I'm reading he doesn't even want to spread them out, just add more from the age of eleven onwards so that pupils get used to them.

That seems a good idea imo. Can't see the problem of doing exams all in one go. At the end of the day if you revise well then there can be no problems.
bell

end
Does he not comprehend that pupils already have far more exams than external exams if you include mocks that my school had an obession with and made us do loads of them in exam conditions. If you added more exams in where would the 'practise' exams be situated, or are you just gonna add more exams until its wall to wall exams with no actual learning time, bearing in mind that doing mocks takes up about a weeks worth of time as you have to revise for the mock (usually get like 1 revision lesson and less homework cos of revision) then do the actual mock, then the teacher has to mark it, then you have to have another lesson going through it.
Let's all be outraged without reading what he even said. And then listen to teachers who have done a fat load of nothing for generations.
I'm pretty sure there was less pressure around exams because it was easier compared to now to have a secure and successful career without qualifications in Mr Gibbs' time :beard:
Original post by PQ
bell

end

Well Said.
In my point of view it's not an correct decision and It might leads to face many other problems in the future... It might cause effects on their mental health conditions.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I'm pretty sure there was less pressure around exams because it was easier compared to now to have a secure and successful career without qualifications in Mr Gibbs' time :beard:
I mean the way that he puts it down to celebrity culture is a.) rude to young people in general and b.) dim of him to think it's so simple
Original post by Trinculo
Let's all be outraged without reading what he even said. And then listen to teachers who have done a fat load of nothing for generations.
Can't seem to find your point.
I think he has a point that a lot of stress and pressure comes from sitting exams. That pressure could be alleviated if students were more used to (and thereby more comfortable with) sitting exams.

I think the true "cure" could be having more exams spread over the academic year, rather than one determinative exam at the end. Naturally, sitting a sole determinative exam is incredibly intimidating for most students.

But at the same time, if you're a student applying to Oxbridge and you need flawless examination performance, it could well be more pressure having to excel on 12 occasions rather than on one.
Original post by thatapanydude
At the end of the day if you revise well then there can be no problems.
This is what the government would like you to believe. But at the end of the day it simply isn't true.
this is so stupid

what a complete moron
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

:lockstock:

Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
I think he has a point that a lot of stress and pressure comes from sitting exams. That pressure could be alleviated if students were more used to (and thereby more comfortable with) sitting exams.

you already get that from doing mocks in exam conditions
Original post by 04MR17
Can't seem to find your point.

People are commenting with the usual anger and Tory hate without even reading what he said.

Standard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending