The Student Room Group

GCSE options

My son interested in computer coding, what would be the best GCSE options to take.
Original post by jackiec123
My son interested in computer coding, what would be the best GCSE options to take.

I’d say definitely Computer Science if his school does it, it’s pretty much essential for computer coding! Then the others that might be useful are GCSEs like Maths and maybe Physics but they’re compulsory anyway :smile:
If his school offers computer science, that would be the best choice.

I'm a current year 11 and I do computer science. There is a lot of theory involved and the latest controlled assessment where you had to code a program based on the given scenario was just cancelled due to a leak of the solution. The coding aspect can be very difficult for someone who only has a basic level of coding, and the schools usually only offer python coding.

Other than computer science, I'd wouldn't really say there was any other subjects specific to computer coding.

Hope this is helpful :smile:
Computer Science if his school offers it, but if not then IT would be ok. Triple Science would be extremely helpful, and then I would suggest that he does a humanity (geography would be more relevant but it doesn't really matter, just which of history and geography he enjoys the most) and a language, but only if he enjoys them:smile:
Reply 4
Computer Science is a good course (minus the government's incompetence at the coursework), covering a lot of stuff which is very relevant. Schools usually use Python but other languages (C#/C++/C, VB.Net, Pascal/Delphi, Java) are available from the exam board. If he knows any of these languages or any other text based one, he will find Python pretty easy, it's one of the easiest languages to get your head around. IT is the next best fit if CS if not offered.

Maths is critical, and while it's a compulsory subject he needs to be good at it to take Computer Science to A Level or University. Some schools require good maths skills as a requirement to do Computer Science.

Triple Science, but particularly Physics as it includes some electronic principles (not a great deal of use, but can help in the Computer Systems section of CS), but more importantly lots of use of formulas and maths skills, which transfer across to the use of algorithms.

Other than that, if your school offers Systems and Control (either the GCSE or the Cambridge National), that is a course that ties in very well with CS (it has programming itself, plus system design and more useful electronic theory). Some parts even directly cross over with each other, making them very easy as I had covered them already.

Quick Reply

Latest