The Student Room Group

Ph.D. University of Edinburgh

Hello everyone,
I was just accepted into a Ph.D. program at the University of Edinburgh. I am from the United States, and I have just received a degree from Penn. Incase you are unfamiliar, Penn is an ivy-league school with a solid reputation.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not University of Edinburgh has a strong academic reputation like the Ivy-league schools i the United States.

Thank you,
Original post by dzelaya
Hello everyone,
I was just accepted into a Ph.D. program at the University of Edinburgh. I am from the United States, and I have just received a degree from Penn. Incase you are unfamiliar, Penn is an ivy-league school with a solid reputation.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not University of Edinburgh has a strong academic reputation like the Ivy-league schools i the United States.

Thank you,

If you look at the QS world university rankings you will find Penn at 19 and Edinburgh at joint 23. While such rankings are hardly official or even objective, it suggests that the two institutions are not dissimilar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats! What kind of PhD ll u be doing?
Reply 3
Thank you! it is Ph.D. in Music :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
If you look at the QS world university rankings you will find Penn at 19 and Edinburgh at joint 23. While such rankings are hardly official or even objective, it suggests that the two institutions are not dissimilar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your response!
Original post by dzelaya
Thank you! it is Ph.D. in Music :smile:

Ah that’s interesting I recently applied for master programme in science still waiting to hear back I’m so stressed. Have u visited Edinburgh city?
Reply 6
Original post by HeadsToes
Ah that’s interesting I recently applied for master programme in science still waiting to hear back I’m so stressed. Have u visited Edinburgh city?

Sounds great!

No, I haven't visited Edinburgh at all. Actually, I have never been to the United Kingdom :P.
Original post by dzelaya
Sounds great!

No, I haven't visited Edinburgh at all. Actually, I have never been to the United Kingdom :P.

I live here for almost 14 years and so far its ok big city but not that big when comparing to Glasgow which is opposite side.
Original post by HeadsToes
I live here for almost 14 years and so far its ok big city but not that big when comparing to Glasgow which is opposite side.

First time I heard Edinburgh referred to as a 'big city'...:smile:
Original post by chaotic1328
First time I heard Edinburgh referred to as a 'big city'...:smile:

Bigger than St Andrews at least :wink:
The US has the ivy-league while the UK has the Russell Group. University of Edinburgh happens to be a Russell Group University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending