The Student Room Group

Warwick A&F or Nottingham FAM

I know this has been done quite a lot of times but please help me. Out of my offers I've narrowed down to Warwick Accounting and Finance (AAA) and Nottingham Finance Accounting and Management (ABB). Initially I was thinking of making warwick my firm and Nottingham as my insurance mainly because the course seems to be one of Warwick's forte and it offers a placement year as well. But then someone on the forum mentioned that if you're pursuing ACA it doesn't matter where you get your degree from. Is it worthwhile to spend 7k more per annum as an international for Warwick's prestige when it doesn't matter in the long run or should I firm Nottingham. I don't know how things work in the UK and would be thankful for some advice.
Reply 1
Original post by Bookworm18
I know this has been done quite a lot of times but please help me. Out of my offers I've narrowed down to Warwick Accounting and Finance (AAA) and Nottingham Finance Accounting and Management (ABB). Initially I was thinking of making warwick my firm and Nottingham as my insurance mainly because the course seems to be one of Warwick's forte and it offers a placement year as well. But then someone on the forum mentioned that if you're pursuing ACA it doesn't matter where you get your degree from. Is it worthwhile to spend 7k more per annum as an international for Warwick's prestige when it doesn't matter in the long run or should I firm Nottingham. I don't know how things work in the UK and would be thankful for some advice.

You should firm Warwick simply because it will be easier to get a graduate role with the big 4 upon graduation.

It also provide you with more options in case you wanna go into IB.

If your ambition is to pursue ACA, you should have applied for the flying start programme which provide 12 exemptions and secure employment upon graduation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BLMC
You should firm Warwick simply because it will be easier to get a graduate role with the big 4 upon graduation.

It also provide you with more options in case you wanna go into IB.

If your ambition is to pursue ACA, you should have applied for the flying start programme which provide 12 exemptions and secure employment upon graduation.

I did apply for flying start but didn't get through.
Reply 3
I did apply for flying start but didn't get through.

Opps - sorry .

Did you do your interview thru Skpe & which university ?
Reply 5
Thanks!!
I don't think I'll go for IB but I think Warwick will give more opportunities, so warwick it is I think
Reply 6
Thanks!!
I don't think I'll go for IB but I think Warwick will give more opportunities, so warwick it is I think

The one year optional placement will likely land you a graduate role in UK if that's what you planned to do .

By the way , where are you from ?

I have to agree with you that Warwick fee is exceptionally higher than other universities .

I am actually in the same dilemma as you except mine is between LSE vs PWC flying start although I'm leaning towards LSE as I'm unsure whether I want to pursue accounting as a profession.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by BLMC
The one year optional placement will likely land you a graduate role in UK if that's what you planned to do .

By the way , where are you from ?

Pakistan
Reply 8
LSE is highly regarded internationally no comparison , but PwC flying start is an excellent programme too. If you aren't sure you'll go for Accounting, definitely choose LSE.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
LSE is highly regarded internationally no comparison , but PwC flying start is an excellent programme too. If you aren't sure you'll go for Accounting, definitely choose LSE.

That is what I think too.
I'm a bit suspicious about the advice given so far.

In general for accounting careers (especially for big 4/ ACA training contracts) the university you go to really doesn't make much if any difference. @J-SP would be able to give you more up to date advice on this than I would. Also, I don't think there is any additional prestige to Warwick over Nottingham in the UK market for most courses. If you were considering maths, economics or MORSE that might be a very different matter.

Certainly going to Warwick or Nottingham will not guarantee you a Big 4 job on graduation. Lots of other factors apply. In particular if you don't have UK citizenship or residency it can be difficult to get work permits - a lot of this is dependent on government policy, employer attitudes and the state of the economy at the time.

Looking quickly at the university websites the main difference between the courses seems to be that Warwick require grade A 'A' level maths while Nottingham only require a lowish pass at GCSE. That would indicate that the Warwick course will be far more quantitative and finance based.

What have you considered other that ACA (staying in the UK or returning to Pakistan?). Neither course seems to give high numbers of exemptions from ACCA - particularly the Warwick course. Might be worth checking and considering.

What difference would £22k make to you? It seems a lot of money to me but if its the difference between getting a great job in a multinational or not the financial side is covered pretty quickly.
Reply 11
Original post by J-SP
University attended, and especially when talking about the difference between Nottingham and Warwick, will mean absolutely nothing in terms of how your CV will be reviewed by the the vast majority of accountancy firms.

The only difference could be what exemptions for the ACA you get from uni vs the other, but even that doesn’t really matter that much for the larger firms as they support non A&F grads that wouldn’t have any exemptions.

Thanks for your feedback, but I'm still confused. Here I'm advised by my teachers and friends to opt for Warwick because Warwick Business School isn't exactly wow like Oxbridge but is fairly impressive and eventually I intend to return to Pakistan after getting my ACA. But then again I wouldn't want to pay extra for something that doesn't really matter even if I could afford it after all 22k IS quite expensive. As far as exemptions are concerned not much difference between them really as Nottingham gives 5 and Warwick gives around 7 but the only advantage I can think of Warwick apart from prestige is that it offers an intercalated year which will count towards the 450 days of training required by ICAEW and give opportunity to give some ACA modules before commencing the final year. Also the Warwick degree being more quantitative, isn't much of my concern because I like mathematics.
Reply 12
Thanks for your feedback, but I'm still confused. Here I'm advised by my teachers and friends to opt for Warwick because Warwick Business School isn't exactly wow like Oxbridge but is fairly impressive and eventually I intend to return to Pakistan after getting my ACA. But then again I wouldn't want to pay extra for something that doesn't really matter even if I could afford it after all 22k IS quite expensive. As far as exemptions are concerned not much difference between them really as Nottingham gives 5 and Warwick gives around 7 but the only advantage I can think of Warwick apart from prestige is that it offers an intercalated year which will count towards the 450 days of training required by ICAEW and give opportunity to give some ACA modules before commencing the final year. Also the Warwick degree being more quantitative, isn't much of my concern because I like mathematics.

Also, after 3/4 years , you might change your mind and go into IB. Warwick degree will come handy .

Side line a bit, I'm in a bigger dilemma now. Got a surprise email from Newcastle . They offer me scholarship for the flying start ....man ..how to choose ?
Reply 13
Original post by BLMC
Also, after 3/4 years , you might change your mind and go into IB. Warwick degree will come handy .

Side line a bit, I'm in a bigger dilemma now. Got a surprise email from Newcastle . They offer me scholarship for the flying start ....man ..how to choose ?

Congratulations!! If I'd been in your place I would have chosen flying start with or without scholarship because I'm dead set on Accountancy. However, in your case if you aren't too sure about Accountancy I would take expert advice because I don't know how far flying start degree will take you towards an IB career as compared to LSE. But I guess it's a win/win situation.
I'm still confused about my problem though
Reply 14
Original post by J-SP
I am looking at this from a UK perspective - it will be different in some other countries where they hang on to prestige a lot more.

From employability prospects in the UK though it will mean so little that everything else will influence your prospects first before university or degree comes into the equation.

Please can you guide me further what other factors can employers look into apart from degree,my GCE and Alevel grades. Is it very difficult to enter into an ACA training contract?
Thanks
Reply 15
Congratulations!! If I'd been in your place I would have chosen flying start with or without scholarship because I'm dead set on Accountancy. However, in your case if you aren't too sure about Accountancy I would take expert advice because I don't know how far flying start degree will take you towards an IB career as compared to LSE. But I guess it's a win/win situation.
I'm still confused about my problem though

Also , I think they're making their offers better by day. Reading yesterday changed my conditional offer to unconditional if firm but I don't think I'll firm.
Reply 16
Original post by J-SP
If you require a work permit it will be much more difficult. Many firms won’t be able to support you with a Tier 2 visa. Those that can will be at the top end of the market, and so more competitive to get into.

Work experience
Academic grades
Motivation for the career and the firm
How you write an application form
How well you do in psychometric tests
Extra curricular activities

All of those things will influence an application more than the difference between Warwick and Nottingham. In most recruiters eyes, there is no difference between the two at all.

Thank you so much for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending