The Student Room Group

Is your second job easier to get?

I just finished my 3 month temp job, but am now back to the old depressing job search. I haven't applied to jobs or contacted agencies yet as I wanted to give myself a small break.

Many I know (who have gone through the same/similar ropes as me) say your first job is always the hardest to find but, after that, it is less difficult.

Is this true? I cannot bare the thought of another 5 months until my second job.
Original post by AnEvolvedApe
I just finished my 3 month temp job, but am now back to the old depressing job search. I haven't applied to jobs or contacted agencies yet as I wanted to give myself a small break.

Many I know (who have gone through the same/similar ropes as me) say your first job is always the hardest to find but, after that, it is less difficult.

Is this true? I cannot bare the thought of another 5 months until my second job.

Idk tbh, never had a job

Saying from experience of doing temp work myself, I did find it easier to find a job after completing one job after another before successfully finding a permanent role elsewhere.
But it's the interview that is a difficult to pass sometimes due to competition against other candidates.

Remember though that an interview is a 2 way street. It is there for the prospective employer to find out more about who you are as a person and for you to know more about their company as a business.
Saying from a professional perspective and experience as an employer (I used to be self-employed), candidates always think about themselves rather than how they can help the company grow to expand and succeed.
That is what employers are looking for; they basically need someone to hit the ground running and that is how people stay in jobs. :p:

Also once you gain more experience from other places and industries, you can approach prospective employers themselves to see how you can help with their business - rather than just actively looking where everyone can apply for. This method (or process?) is called a speculative application.
That is what I did and how I gained more work experience to get where I am now. :smile:

Once you've got your first job you've got a CV with workplace experience, which adds value, but it only makes things easier than getting that first job, and then only if the skills are relevant.

Employers like employing people who are employed, not just those who have experience. Applying when employed is stronger than applying when unemployed. Taking a break just makes the situation worse.

If you really couldn't bear a 5 months wait, you should have been applying a month in to the 3 month contract when you could put some of that experience on your CV.
Original post by threeportdrift
Once you've got your first job you've got a CV with workplace experience, which adds value, but it only makes things easier than getting that first job, and then only if the skills are relevant.

Employers like employing people who are employed, not just those who have experience. Applying when employed is stronger than applying when unemployed. Taking a break just makes the situation worse.

If you really couldn't bear a 5 months wait, you should have been applying a month in to the 3 month contract when you could put some of that experience on your CV.

I agree
Having the experience does help though,and its better than never having had a job.
Reply 5

I realise this is too late for you now, but it's usually best to be looking for the next job whilst still employed in the original job.

But certainly having gained more work experience *should* make your next search easier. And I recommend getting straight on to those agencies, etc now - having a "break" after 3 months isn't a great strategy. If you manage to land another job quickly you can always ask to delay your start by a week or so - it's more relaxing to have a proper break knowing you've actually got another job waiting for you at the end of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending