The Student Room Group

Anyone else really regret not having a job at university?

I’ve spent the last 6-7 years just being an idiot and running from my problems lol. I shouldn’t have spent so much money on weed and alcohol and just been a grown up, got a part time job at university

Maybe I would have been able to afford a car by now. I feel like such a loser for not being able to drive and not being able to go out with my friends during summer.

I don’t know if I can catch up anymore I feel so sad.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve spent the last 6-7 years just being an idiot and running from my problems lol. I shouldn’t have spent so much money on weed and alcohol and just been a grown up, got a part time job at university

Maybe I would have been able to afford a car by now. I feel like such a loser for not being able to drive and not being able to go out with my friends during summer.

Just to note I’ve spent the last 6-7 years just not really having any jobs apart from for one year. I blew through all my cash because I’m irresponsible and an addict.
Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at coventry university.
I can understand how this is frustrating for you and how it can cause you to feel guilt and anger towards yourself. However one thing to remember is it's not too late to start working and saving up and getting where you want to! Just because you can't do it now doesn't mean that you won't be able to at all.. We all do things at our own pace and this is one of those things.
You are by no means a 'loser', you are human!
Please reach out and speak with someone if you feel like you need any help, you're not alone but you can do this!
Kind regards,
Courtney H

Accept it and move on. Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at coventry university.
I can understand how this is frustrating for you and how it can cause you to feel guilt and anger towards yourself. However one thing to remember is it's not too late to start working and saving up and getting where you want to! Just because you can't do it now doesn't mean that you won't be able to at all.. We all do things at our own pace and this is one of those things.
You are by no means a 'loser', you are human!
Please reach out and speak with someone if you feel like you need any help, you're not alone but you can do this!
Kind regards,
Courtney H

I’m going into my third year. I don’t think it’s reasonable for me to start working now and I haven’t found something for the summer

Original post by Wired_1800
Accept it and move on. Good luck

Lol way easier said than done. Especially when you go to a university typically filled with kids from stable, middle or upper class households. Literally 30%+ went to private schools

completely different from having a trash upbringing
Reply 5
I’m going into my third year. I don’t think it’s reasonable for me to start working now and I haven’t found something for the summer

Lol way easier said than done. Especially when you go to a university typically filled with kids from stable, middle or upper class households. Literally 30%+ went to private schools

Not sure why you would not want to start working now and into your 3rd year? Just a part time job in a pub, restaurant, shop etc will do. There are so many jobs going that it should not be too difficult to find something. Always nice to have a bit of extra money, and it would be good for your confidence and your CV, at least for initial/graduate type jobs that you will eventually apply for.
(edited 9 months ago)

There is nothing you can do with your upbringing. You have to accept the cards that you were dealt and move on.
Reply 7
Original post by lalexm
Not sure why you would not want to start working now and into your 3rd year? Just a part time job in a pub, restaurant, shop etc will do. There are so many jobs going that it should not be too difficult to find something. Always nice to have a bit of extra money, and it would be good for your confidence and your CV, at least for initial/graduate type jobs that you will eventually apply for.

Well I didn’t do super well in my second year (nearly 2:1), I’m on track for a 2:1 but i assume I’ll have to work way harder in third year. I didn’t really do work in second year.

I also would really want some legal work experience as I haven’t gotten any all throughout uni.

Basically I’m worried that if I get a job (which I really need the money for) I won’t do well in my final year.
Reply 8
Original post by Wired_1800
There is nothing you can do with your upbringing. You have to accept the cards that you were dealt and move on.

I know, but as I said It’s much easier said than done. It’s an uphill battle in every sense.

I’m not talking about oh, “my parents didn’t buy me a car at 17” i literally shared a bunk bed with my own mother.

I’ve researched the topic and it seems I’ve been given most disadvantages one can have in life. It’s sad.
Focus on the things you can control: your studies, your interactions with your unis career services and living cleanly and healthily.

The more mental energy you spend fixating on everyone else having advantages that you didn’t have, (and the setbacks you’ve faced), the less you will have for making small, positive steps.
Reply 10
Well I didn’t do super well in my second year (nearly 2:1), I’m on track for a 2:1 but i assume I’ll have to work way harder in third year. I didn’t really do work in second year.

I also would really want some legal work experience as I haven’t gotten any all throughout uni.

Basically I’m worried that if I get a job (which I really need the money for) I won’t do well in my final year.

I think it will be the opposite. If you’ve done nothing in the 2nd year, your issue was clearly not lack of time. Getting a part time job will potentially get you out of a rut, and will boost your confidence. Doing more hours now and reducing them to say 8 or 10 hours per week during term time should be fine. I’d suggest getting any old job now and then you can look for legal work whilst working part time.
I know, but as I said It’s much easier said than done. It’s an uphill battle in every sense.

I’m not talking about oh, “my parents didn’t buy me a car at 17” i literally shared a bunk bed with my own mother.

I’ve researched the topic and it seems I’ve been given most disadvantages one can have in life. It’s sad.

It is pointless crying over the past. You cannot change it. You need to focus on the future.

as a graduate who is doing well now but only after a nightmare trying to get on the ladder for my first job, not having a job at uni or a summer job was my #1 biggest life mistake

Watch these videos:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFbv757kup4&pp=ygUpaG93IHRvIGJlIHN0cm9uZyBtZW50YWxseSBhbmQgZW1vdGlvbmFsbHk%3D

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/GzVeNVfsp-Y

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/-lADIXY2Es0

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending