The Student Room Group

Meng vs Beng

Hi, I have just finished my second year at University and I am currently studying EEE. I have applied for many internship roles but didn't manage to get selected for one. So currently I have no experience in the engineering industry.

I have met the requirement to upgrade my course from a Beng to an Meng and was wondering if it was worth upgrading. I have heard doing Meng makes it easier to be Chartered and is now the industry norm and companies now expect students to graduate with Meng rather with Beng.

I am now it a tricky situation where I dont know what to do, should I carry on Beng apply for jobs and gain experience which I am lacking as more and more companies are looking for people with industry experience? or should I carry on studying for a year and graduate with Meng but have no experience in the engineering world, would this make me overqualified for some entry level jobs?
Original post by Zixon57
Hi, I have just finished my second year at University and I am currently studying EEE. I have applied for many internship roles but didn't manage to get selected for one. So currently I have no experience in the engineering industry.

I have met the requirement to upgrade my course from a Beng to an Meng and was wondering if it was worth upgrading. I have heard doing Meng makes it easier to be Chartered and is now the industry norm and companies now expect students to graduate with Meng rather with Beng.

I am now it a tricky situation where I dont know what to do, should I carry on Beng apply for jobs and gain experience which I am lacking as more and more companies are looking for people with industry experience? or should I carry on studying for a year and graduate with Meng but have no experience in the engineering world, would this make me overqualified for some entry level jobs?

Is there an opportunity to get any work experience if you upgraded to the Masters? In theory it could give you another summer to find an internship and if you try to get ahead and put feelers out in advance of the next summer break you might be able to line something up.

I can appreciate your thought process with Chartership, but ultimately you've got to be comfortable doing another year of study. Did you originally intend on doing an MEng at some point?
With EEE generally I have seen more success for graduates to move into industry with a bachelors (relative to other engineering disciplines). Generally MEng is standard for a graduate engineer (although strong EEE grads will be alright with a BEng).

That said if you don’t have much experience or something strong on the cv, id go for the MEng. The hardest job is a good graduate job, and you don’t want to settle for a below average employer if you can get into a company with excellent development processes.

With chartership, yes an MEng meets the full academic requirements so it’s less to work on once you are in industry. Although chartership is not always necessary.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Zixon57

This isn't actually a particular unusual position to be in. Many companies only take penultimate year students for internships/placements, and have a preference for MEng. And there are probably a lot less internship than graduate positions, too, so many people are getting graduate jobs without having actual engineering experience beforehand.

This sounds like something I would say. I do believe this is still accurate though, particularly if you are talking about the biggest or most well known companies.

You won't be overqualified for any entry jobs with an MEng; in fact, an MEng is generally more competitive than a BEng.

Quick Reply

Latest