The Student Room Group

Applying for a course with placement year

Does applying for a course with a placement year make it harder to get an offer as opposed to a course without? Also I know some unis are flexible adding or dropping a placement year so is it best to apply for one now or not?
Original post by ehfuewdhskjdked
Does applying for a course with a placement year make it harder to get an offer as opposed to a course without? Also I know some unis are flexible adding or dropping a placement year so is it best to apply for one now or not?

Hi @ehfuewdhskjdked

I applied for a course with a placement year and having the placement year in attached didn't make is harder/easier to get an offer. I knew before starting that I liked the sound of a placement year, so went ahead and applied straight away, but there is no harm in switching to the placement year option (or vice versa) once you get started, so long as your uni is flexible. I'm currently in second year and I've had friends change their mind on my course and they've been able to swap easily.

A placement year is a great chance to get experience before you graduate. I like to think of it as - everyone on your course who graduates will have the same degree title on their CV. But if you have your degree and placement experience, you start being set aside from everyone else. I'm in a creative industry so it's also a good opportunity for me to see how I can translate my craft into a business format. But, there is also no harm in not doing a placement year, as you'll still be completing your degree.

Hopefully this helps!
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 2
Unless it has higher entry requirements, it usually doesnt make any difference.
And, as above, definitely worth doing - and it will make an enormous difference to your graduate job chances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending