The Student Room Group

Chemical Analysis Problem!

4) Some sodium hydroxide solution was added to a solution of substance E. A white precipitate formed which dissolved when more sodium hydroxide solution was added. Some sodium hydroxide solution was added to another sample of substance E. On warming there was no effect on damp red litmus paper. However, when aluminium powder was added, and again warmed, a gas was formed that turned red litmus paper blue.

a) Name and give the formula of substance E.
b) Identify the white precipitate.
c) Write an ionic equation for the formation of the white precipitate.

Any ideas people? None are mentioned on my sheet so I am asking here :s-smilie:
Reply 1
BUMP! Anyone know? :frown:
Original post by Nator
4) Some sodium hydroxide solution was added to a solution of substance E. A white precipitate formed which dissolved when more sodium hydroxide solution was added. Some sodium hydroxide solution was added to another sample of substance E. On warming there was no effect on damp red litmus paper. However, when aluminium powder was added, and again warmed, a gas was formed that turned red litmus paper blue.

a) Name and give the formula of substance E.
b) Identify the white precipitate.
c) Write an ionic equation for the formation of the white precipitate.

Any ideas people? None are mentioned on my sheet so I am asking here :s-smilie:

OK, here's a little help.

NaOH precipitates hydroxides from their solutions. Group 1 hydroxides are soluble and do not precipitate. 'd' block metal hydroxides (except Zn) are coloured.

Amphoteric hydroxides redissolve in excess NaOH

The only (common) gas that turns litmus blue is ammonia...
a) Aluminium nitrate
b)Aluminum Hydroxide
c)Al^3+ (aq) + 3OH^1- (aq) --> Al(OH)3(s)

I think this all right.
Does anybody now where I could be able to find the answers to the worksheet? any help would be appreciated!
Original post by Marek Freitag
Does anybody now where I could be able to find the answers to the worksheet? any help would be appreciated!

You do realise that this is a seven year old thread?
Original post by charco
You do realise that this is a seven year old thread?

Sorry, i just worked that one out!

Quick Reply

Latest