The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

what is Southampton univeristy and it's surroundings like?

I haven't had a chance to visit yet, and I'm not sure I will be able to.
I've been watching videos on the area and university and it seems quite good, but I'd like any personal opinions of what people think?

I'm really stuck between birmingham and Southampton. The modules for both appeal to me, so I mostly have to differentiate by the area and that one has a placement year and the other an internship.

help
Reply 1
It will be difficult for you to choose without visiting them. This is where you are going to spend the next 3 years of your life and shouldn't do that based on other people's opinions.

Both unis are in nice areas of their cities. Both have good reputations. Halls and private accommodation are about the same cost in each.

Birmingham is roughly 4 times the size of Southampton in both area and population. So its big city versus smaller city.

My son is in Southampton so I don't want to influence you but we visited there twice to make sure it was the right place for him, visiting the campus, halls and the city centre. He loves it there.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Lia22
I haven't had a chance to visit yet, and I'm not sure I will be able to.
I've been watching videos on the area and university and it seems quite good, but I'd like any personal opinions of what people think?

I'm really stuck between birmingham and Southampton. The modules for both appeal to me, so I mostly have to differentiate by the area and that one has a placement year and the other an internship.

help

I am a current student at Southampton. Southampton is a bleak and depressing 'city'; it feels a bit like it has lost a war. The university campus is in a suburb disconnected from the city centre. I have little good to say about it. I suggest you visit both cities before making a decision.
Reply 3
Original post by deimos88
I am a current student at Southampton. Southampton is a bleak and depressing 'city'; it feels a bit like it has lost a war. The university campus is in a suburb disconnected from the city centre. I have little good to say about it. I suggest you visit both cities before making a decision.

Can I ask why in particular it feels bleak and depressing?
Reply 4
Original post by Lia22
Can I ask why in particular it feels bleak and depressing?

Sure, no problem:

The city lacks culture. It is oriented around a medium sized shopping centre with the same old chain stores. The top attraction is IKEA. There is little diversity in terms of bars / restaurants / shops unless you really love chains. There's also little diversity in terms of people. Its much trumpeted new arts centre seems to have been redesigned as a luxury flat development; there was a recent Guardian article about this.

Southampton was bombed heavily in WW2 and rebuilt with low-grade architecture. In other words there's a lot of grey boxy concrete, which gives a depressing street scene. It also rains a lot.

The University campus is disconnected from the city centre and has very limited facilities. For example, there are no nearby places to get food or have a drink after lectures other than those operated by the University itself (which are turkey-twizzler-school-dinner level offerings).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending