The Student Room Group

Neurophysiology

Am I able to get into neurophysiology with an undergrad and masters in psychology?
Probably not, unless your course contained a large amount of neurobiology/neuroscience content (beyond the usual scope for a Psychology course - e.g. the Oxbridge courses, depending on options taken, may suffice). Ultimately though it depends on the specific project (I assume this is with regards to a PhD) and supervisor - they may be happy to "train you up" and fill the gap in the early part of the PhD if the project doesn't require a detailed knowledge of biomedical sciences and they can feasibly do so.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Probably not, unless your course contained a large amount of neurobiology/neuroscience content (beyond the usual scope for a Psychology course - e.g. the Oxbridge courses, depending on options taken, may suffice). Ultimately though it depends on the specific project (I assume this is with regards to a PhD) and supervisor - they may be happy to "train you up" and fill the gap in the early part of the PhD if the project doesn't require a detailed knowledge of biomedical sciences and they can feasibly do so.

Thanks for your advice. Well, I took modules in neuroscience and neuroimaging (masters level) and I also have research experience of administering and analyzing EEG. Although, I was thinking more about neurophysiology in a clinical setting such as hospitals etc... rather than an PhD. Do you think I would have the requirements to get into something like that?
Original post by emagine18
Thanks for your advice. Well, I took modules in neuroscience and neuroimaging (masters level) and I also have research experience of administering and analyzing EEG. Although, I was thinking more about neurophysiology in a clinical setting such as hospitals etc... rather than an PhD. Do you think I would have the requirements to get into something like that?

I couldn't say, as I'm not as familiar with the biomedical sector in terms of work outside of medicine which I have some vague knowledge of. I'd suggest speaking with some NP departments near you about what they look for in recruitment if you can, and asking if your qualifications would suffice. It's likely to depend on the specific position and who ends up applying for it though.

Within the NHS, some clinical roles may require a specific background which you would need to demonstrate by portfolio or similar, and you may not be able to do so - you'll probably have to research this further though. Certainly the HCS/BMS training programmes I think you would be at a disadvantage for, if able to realistically apply at all, however @RegisteredBMS might be able to comment more on that...?
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I couldn't say, as I'm not as familiar with the biomedical sector in terms of work outside of medicine which I have some vague knowledge of. I'd suggest speaking with some NP departments near you about what they look for in recruitment if you can, and asking if your qualifications would suffice. It's likely to depend on the specific position and who ends up applying for it though.

Within the NHS, some clinical roles may require a specific background which you would need to demonstrate by portfolio or similar, and you may not be able to do so - you'll probably have to research this further though. Certainly the HCS/BMS training programmes I think you would be at a disadvantage for, if able to realistically apply at all, however @RegisteredBMS might be able to comment more on that...?

That's great thank you! I'll have a look around :smile:
Original post by emagine18

Rather confusingly, there are two different roles within neurophysiology in the NHS.

Clinical neurophysiology is a medical specialty - you need to qualify as a doctor first:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/roles-doctors/medicine/clinical-neurophysiology

But there are neurophysiology roles available for scientists too which would allow you to set up and perform various tests (rather than analysing the results and suggesting treatment accordingly, which is the responsibility of the medically qualified neurophysiologists):

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/healthcare-science/roles-healthcare-science/physiological-sciences/neurophysiology/entry-requirements-skills-and-interests#With%20a%20relevant%20degree
Not an area I'm familiar with unfortunately @artful_lounger although their own a bracket of the PTP that covers neuroscience. My area is more laboratory based.

http://www.nshcs.hee.nhs.uk/ptp-join/nhs-practitioner-training-programme/about-the-practitioner-training-programme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending