The Student Room Group

Was The Black Panther really that good?

So I was wondering what you all took from the movie and what it meant! Did you guys enjoy it and what were your favourite parts?

To see my personal view, click below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kekK252ivA&t=17s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MirzaVlogs
So I was wondering what you all took from the movie and what it meant! Did you guys enjoy it and what were your favourite parts?

To see my personal view, click below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kekK252ivA&t=17s

I really want to watch it. It has good reviews but I want to see if it lives up to the hype.
Reply 2
The hype definitely matched what I watched! It was incredible and I would advise you not to click the link if you have not seen it haha! SPOILERS
It was a good movie.

7/10
Reply 4
Original post by Jheinexx
It was a good movie.

7/10

Better than other Marvel origin movies??
Reply 5
I'd agree with above. Very good, but not "OMG best film ever".

Not sure it even gets into my Marvel top 5.
If you like Marvel Cinematic Universe then you'll like Black Panther, it's a good blend of humour, action and memorable characters including one of the best (maybe even my favourite) villain in the MCU so far. It's one of the better movies in the series, but not the absolute best.

If you don't like the MCU movies then Black Panther isn't going to change your mind or convert you.
It's about giving black people representation for superheroes where they are predominantly white (usually male) superheroes. There are some wonderful pictures of children being able to see themselves in these wonderful, brave, and powerful heroes that there really aren't enough of. It's more than being a good movie; it's what it means for people
Better than other Marvel origin movies??

Black Panther isn't really an origin movie, he was already an active hero in Civil War and this film is a continuation of his story.
Original post by JustACoincidence
It's about giving black people representation for superheroes where they are predominantly white (usually male) superheroes.

Thats what I thought too, and realised what it must have been like for black people watching the LOTR. :h:

More power to ya. We're all the bleedin same.
(edited 6 years ago)
really enjoyed the movie, music and cinematography was beautiful as well as the costumes. and a very well-acted villain considering that i've only seen him in this film. cast was really good, they all fit the roles well and had great chemistry, and you could easily connect with them- shuri and m'baku were probably one of the most enjoyable characters. the fight scenes were also well executed as well as moments such as t'challa jumping(??) over that car.

i'd watch it again if the cinema wasn't so expensive.
Original post by OldishStudent
Thats what I thought too, and realised what it must have been like for black people watching the LOTR. :h:

More power to ya. We're all the bleedin same.

More power to them. I'm a white female, and while I can clearly see the importance, it's not for my voice to shout louder than theirs.
That wasnt meant to be specifically directed at you. Obviously I have no idea who you are. Sorry if that wasnt clear. Re-read it, it works both ways. More of a segue.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
I'd agree with above. Very good, but not "OMG best film ever".

Not sure it even gets into my Marvel top 5.

Serious?? What would you put up as your no.1?
Reply 14
I definitely agree! Especially with Killmonger being my fav villain so far
Reply 15
Original post by JustACoincidence
It's about giving black people representation for superheroes where they are predominantly white (usually male) superheroes. There are some wonderful pictures of children being able to see themselves in these wonderful, brave, and powerful heroes that there really aren't enough of. It's more than being a good movie; it's what it means for people

That was very nicely put! I agree. There was a DC hero I used to watch when I was a kid. Probably before your time BUT he was called Static Shock! I found him pretty dope but his reign on the network was short lived - sadly. The representation of struggle was depicted very well in this movie and I hope it brings about some positivity
Reply 16
Original post by entertainmyfaith
really enjoyed the movie, music and cinematography was beautiful as well as the costumes. and a very well-acted villain considering that i've only seen him in this film. cast was really good, they all fit the roles well and had great chemistry, and you could easily connect with them- shuri and m'baku were probably one of the most enjoyable characters. the fight scenes were also well executed as well as moments such as t'challa jumping(??) over that car.

i'd watch it again if the cinema wasn't so expensive.

omds I KNOW RIGHT! Shuri and M'Baku were amazing. Great energy and very very fitting for their roles. Loved the relationship they had with T'Challa and they had a great sense of humour too. haha I agree, cinema's are now far too expensive.
Serious?? What would you put up as your no.1?

For me it's:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Thor Ragnarok
3. Avengers Assemble
4. Iron Man
5. Guardians Vol 2

Then either Black Panther or Ant Man in 6th
I thought it was excellent. Best villain in the MCU, though I would put Loki as more entertaining, Killmonger had depth, he was intimidating, a well set up origin story. I wouldn't say it was the best MCU film I'd probably put Avengers there, but it was up there with Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier.

Where would you put Winter Soldier?
I never liked MCU movies but I honestly really enjoyed Black Panther, it’s probably the only MCU movie I liked so far. But i guess it’s because of the extrinsic themes embedded in the movie itself, black people having a voice as well as women who aren’t confined to archaic gender roles.

Quick Reply

Latest