The Student Room Group

What GCSE 1-9 grade did I get?

Hey. I just got my English Lit Paper 2 result back. I got 66.6%. I am very disappointed and was fuming, but it’s a mock and so I’ll move on and work harder next time! What 1-9 grade would 66.6% be? My teacher seems to think it’s a 5... but looking at the 2017 grade boundaries that is pretty inaccurate. So, what do you think? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by s.m30
Hey. I just got my English Lit Paper 2 result back. I got 66.6%. I am very disappointed and was fuming, but it’s a mock and so I’ll move on and work harder next time! What 1-9 grade would 66.6% be? My teacher seems to think it’s a 5... but looking at the 2017 grade boundaries that is pretty inaccurate. So, what do you think? Thanks!

What do you mean Paper 2?Eng lit only has 1 paper im pretty sure... that's language.
Anyway at our school the 9 was 88%, an 8 was 83%, so im pretty sure a 66% would be around 5~6. (boundaries between 9 and 8 are usually tight, but they get wider starting from 7).
I'm sure you can get much better with harder work :smile: gl
Original post by jpark510
What do you mean Paper 2?Eng lit only has 1 paper im pretty sure... that's language.
Anyway at our school the 9 was 88%, an 8 was 83%, so im pretty sure a 66% would be around 5~6. (boundaries between 9 and 8 are usually tight, but they get wider starting from 7).

What percentage was a 7? Thanks!
depends what exam board.... the grade boundary for igcse cie english is like 65% for the top grade...
Reply 4
Original post by s.m30
What percentage was a 7? Thanks!

Sadly didn't write it down, but I would imagine the boundary would be something like 72~75% for a 7. Obviously could be marginally higher or lower in the real exam, but that seems pretty accurate from what i can tell.
BTW i'm doing Edexcel IGCSE Eng Lit, dunno about you so it may be different. You should probs ask ur teacher again
(edited 6 years ago)
Sadly didn't write it down, but I would imagine the boundary would be something like 72~75% for a 7. Obviously could be marginally higher or lower in the real exam, but that seems pretty accurate from what i can tell.
BTW i'm doing Edexcel IGCSE Eng Lit, dunno about you so it may be different. You should probs ask ur teacher again

AQA

And I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Both Language and Literature have two papers.
Reply 7
Original post by s.m30
AQA

Ok then im lost
BTW, did u take into consideration ur coursework? that makes up 40% of ur igcse eng lit, so u should calculate that too, it should raise ur grade (if u did well in it).
But for an idea, i do AQA eng lang, and our grade boundaries in that are
- 9 = 79%
- 8 = 69%
so i would imagine that because of coursework, it would be ~5% more, and boundaries a bit tighter, so i would say a 7 would be like 70-4% for AQA.
Ok then im lost
BTW, did u take into consideration ur coursework? that makes up 40% of ur igcse eng lit, so u should calculate that too, it should raise ur grade (if u did well in it).
But for an idea, i do AQA eng lang, and our grade boundaries in that are
- 9 = 79%
- 8 = 69%
so i would imagine that because of coursework, it would be ~5% more, and boundaries a bit tighter, so i would say a 7 would be like 70-4% for AQA.

AQA doesn’t have coursework and I’m not doing an IGSE, I go to a state school.
Reply 9
Original post by Goldfish4343
And I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Both Language and Literature have two papers.

like i said, im doing edexcel and ur probs doing aqa. i 100% know that for edexcel we only have 1 2hr paper for literature, but u probs have 2 for aqa. sry for any confusion
Original post by s.m30
AQA doesn’t have coursework and I’m not doing an IGSE, I go to a state school.

u dont have coursework o_0
k well then i would say like between 60-70% is a 7 then, so 66% sounds like a 6 to me. HOwever, they could've scaled it to ur year as well, maybe ur year did well on a whole. But rly ask someone else because im lost - i neither go to a state school nor do aqa so i have no idea.. sry man
thx anyways, and gl with ur exams :smile:
u dont have coursework o_0
k well then i would say like between 60-70% is a 7 then, so 66% sounds like a 6 to me. HOwever, they could've scaled it to ur year as well, maybe ur year did well on a whole. But rly ask someone else because im lost - i neither go to a state school nor do aqa so i have no idea.. sry man
thx anyways, and gl with ur exams :smile:

Thanks, you too! Yeah we are 100% exams... scary, I know! I’m aiming for a 8 so just wanted to know how far off I was. I was only 4/5 marks off a 7! So annoying!
like i said, im doing edexcel and ur probs doing aqa. i 100% know that for edexcel we only have 1 2hr paper for literature, but u probs have 2 for aqa. sry for any confusion

What edexcel specification are you doing? It looks like edexcel also has two papers for literature, neither of which are 2 hours.
What edexcel specification are you doing? It looks like edexcel also has two papers for literature, neither of which are 2 hours.

Ok so im a bit retarded
Edexcel do have 2 papers, but teachers choose which one - some schools do paper 1, some do paper 2 ( they contain literature from different centuries)
I just found this out.
Anyways, my paper is 2 hours:
Section A) Unseen Poetry - 20 Marks (25 Minutes)
Section B) Anthology Poetry - 30 Marks (40 Minutes)
Section C) Modern Prose (Of Mice and Men or To Kill a Mockingbird) - 40 marks (45 minutes)

this was our mock structure, and we have been guaranteed that this is the same one in the real one.
i rly dunno at this point. but this is the 2018 one, maybe the old ones are diferent?

im doing paper 1 btw, and the spec is called 4ET1/01
im doing paper 1 btw, and the spec is called 4ET1/01

I would look at the edexcel website because you appear to be incorrect. Also, aren't you meant to be doing a Shakespeare play?
I would look at the edexcel website because you appear to be incorrect. Also, aren't you meant to be doing a Shakespeare play?

22/05/2018 am Edexcel IGCSE English Lit 9-1 4ET1/01 2h Gym
thats whaat it says on my gcse timetable
idek anymore, all ik is that im doing 1 2 hr paper for eng lit and that 40% of our gcse is coursework.
fyi, i go to private school, if that helps at all

I'm doing the same board! do you know what percentage would be a 9? I got 88% and 83% in my English literature and language mocks respectively but idk at all what grade that would be.
Original post by hannah429
I'm doing the same board! do you know what percentage would be a 9? I got 88% and 83% in my English literature and language mocks respectively but idk at all what grade that would be.

hey sorry for the late reply, but i believe that 88 was an 8 for eng lit at my school, and 83 was a 9 for eng lang at my school too.
Ok so im a bit retarded
Edexcel do have 2 papers, but teachers choose which one - some schools do paper 1, some do paper 2 ( they contain literature from different centuries)
I just found this out.
Anyways, my paper is 2 hours:
Section A) Unseen Poetry - 20 Marks (25 Minutes)
Section B) Anthology Poetry - 30 Marks (40 Minutes)
Section C) Modern Prose (Of Mice and Men or To Kill a Mockingbird) - 40 marks (45 minutes)

this was our mock structure, and we have been guaranteed that this is the same one in the real one.
i rly dunno at this point. but this is the 2018 one, maybe the old ones are diferent?

Same here :biggrin: and boundaries at my school were (sorry I only know the boundary for a 9... I managed one in both exams so I wasn't too worried) 82 for a 9 in language, 83 in literature.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending