The Student Room Group

A level government and politics

hi everyone, i was just looking for some advice on my a level choices. I am considering a level gov and politics, and just wanted to know a bit more about the subject. I have done history and geography at gcse, so i have decent enough essay writing skills. What did you study, was it enjoyable and is it difficult to learn? Also do you have to know alot about current politics or could you get by with a decent awareness?
Any responses greatly appreciated, thank you :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by music468
hi everyone, i was just looking for some advice on my a level choices. I am considering a level gov and politics, and just wanted to know a bit more about the subject. I have done history and geography at gcse, so i have decent enough essay writing skills. What did you study, was it enjoyable and is it difficult to learn? Also do you have to know alot about current politics or could you get by with a decent awareness?
Any responses greatly appreciated, thank you :smile:

I study Politics. Politics is really interesting but very content heavy. Some of the topics include: parliament, electoral system, political parties, democracy, constitution etc. I would say if you enjoy politics, then go for it. Your skills from history would provide to be useful when analysing sources. It would be helpful if you follow up on political news, not necessary but will be useful. But, there are enough examples in the text book - don’t worry!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Elite360
I study Politics. Politics is really interesting but very content heavy. Some of the topics include: parliament, electoral system, political parties, democracy, constitution etc. I would say if you enjoy politics, then go for it. Your skills from history would provide to be useful when analysing sources. It would be helpful if you follow up on political news, not necessary but will be useful. But, there are enough examples in the text book - don’t worry!

Thank you! :smile:
It probably depends how interested you are in the news, or how interested you are in being interested about the news. I personally find it fascinating (I also did geography and history for GCSE) - I'm slightly obsessive but even people without any real prior knowledge seen to really enjoy it. I agree with everything the post above says as well - definitely be prepared to follow some news tho
Reply 5
Original post by JoeHill00
It probably depends how interested you are in the news, or how interested you are in being interested about the news. I personally find it fascinating (I also did geography and history for GCSE) - I'm slightly obsessive but even people without any real prior knowledge seen to really enjoy it. I agree with everything the post above says as well - definitely be prepared to follow some news tho

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest