The Student Room Group

Physics or further maths A level

Don’t know which to pick!!! Predicted 9 in both maths and physics. I’m doing maths A level. I’m physics I kinda struggle with a little but then I guess further maths would also be very tricky.
Any experiences and which one you found easier/better?
Im also doing biology and chemistry and hope to go onto medicine.
Further Maths, without a shadow of a doubt! If you're good at Maths, have good teachers, and are passionate about it, it'll feel like only half an extra A Level. Physics is an interesting challenge, but if you can consistently achieve good grades in Maths, Further Maths shouldn't be much harder.
Reply 2
Original post by rainbowcat1437
Don’t know which to pick!!! Predicted 9 in both maths and physics. I’m doing maths A level. I’m physics I kinda struggle with a little but then I guess further maths would also be very tricky.
Any experiences and which one you found easier/better?
Im also doing biology and chemistry and hope to go onto medicine.

It's worth noting that around half of medical schools don't count further maths as a separate A Level to maths. But the vast majority will accept three of biology, chemistry, physics and maths as long as bio and chem are included.

So taking FM would be because you enjoy it and want to build your knowledge of mathematics but probably won't be useful for your uni application if you definitely want to go into medicine.

Is there a reason why you're taking 4 A Levels as opposed to 3?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
I'd suggest physics. Firstly, since you want to do medicine, most universities do not consider further maths and maths A level as two seperate A levels in the AAA offer (see attached below), so if for some reason you were to drop lets say chemistry, you would be left with Biology, Maths, and Further Maths.
If you plan to do all four courses for the full A level then further maths is a good option.
physics also shows you can apply knowledge to the real world.
Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest