The Student Room Group

German Social Democrats vote to join government

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43276732

Another social democratic party willingly commitiing suicide. Especially crazy given how the UK Labour Party has shown how to reinvigorate european social democracy.
AFD are also now the official opposition :yay:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Another social democratic party willingly commitiing suicide. Especially crazy given how the UK Labour Party has shown how to reinvigorate european social democracy.

tbh they didn't have many options. The FDP torpedoed the Jamaica Coalition talks for publicity, so it was either this or new elections, which would have benefited the AfD most.

Maybe when the SPD dies next election, they'll be replaced with an actual leftist party that doesn't only exist to prop up Mutti Merkel and her austerity project. Die Linke has become less taboo in western Germany (seemingly propelled by middle class hipsters, but useful idiots are still useful), maybe next election they'll be the second largest party.
Reply 3
this is good news for the AFD - hope they gain more seats now!
Kamikaze move?
Reply 5
Original post by So-Sarah
this is good news for the AFD - hope they gain more seats now!

Cough *fascist* cough.
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
Cough *fascist* cough.

so you mean you are acutally part of the 1% who agree with letting in 1 million plus illegal immigrants, nuff said
so you mean you are acutally part of the 1% who agree with letting in 1 million plus illegal immigrants, nuff said

That's it?
Reply 8
sure, I mean, who actually voted to let in all these illegals?
sure, I mean, who actually voted to let in all these illegals?

Those who voted the German Chancaller into power. Again and again. Those Germans sure like that woman for some reason.
perhaps, but the % is low - and mainly because the Germans are brainwashed to be scared of nationalist parties
Original post by Napp
Cough *fascist* cough.

Just finished my leftist loony buzzwords bingo, thanks.
Reply 12

I don't recall saying that?
Original post by AperfectBalance
Just finished my leftist loony buzzwords bingo, thanks.

Eh?
No great surprise, as they did not want more elections. Coalitions are a regular feature of German governments.
Original post by Napp
I don't recall saying that?

Eh?

Just shouting fascist at things that are clearly not fascism, especially when you think it is an argument, as stupid as me just having the argument of "Commie" against Corbyn
Reply 15
Original post by AperfectBalance
Just shouting fascist at things that are clearly not fascism, especially when you think it is an argument, as stupid as me just having the argument of "Commie" against Corbyn

Err are you unfamiliar with that users politics?
Equally who said i'm 'left wing' ? :lol:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

You do realize this is a recurring situation, this will be the 3rd in 4 governments that is a grand coalition. Suicide happened a long time ago, given that one can't even really call it grand anymore given how low SPD's numbers have fallen.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
tbh they didn't have many options. The FDP torpedoed the Jamaica Coalition talks for publicity, so it was either this or new elections, which would have benefited the AfD most.

Maybe when the SPD dies next election, they'll be replaced with an actual leftist party that doesn't only exist to prop up Mutti Merkel and her austerity project. Die Linke has become less taboo in western Germany (seemingly propelled by middle class hipsters, but useful idiots are still useful), maybe next election they'll be the second largest party.

No, the other option would have been if both the SPD and our President had the cojones to tell Merkel to **** off and host a minority government. The President can call a vote in the Bundestag, and Merkel would have been elected. No new elections needed. The only problem for her then would have been that she would actually have needed proper dialogue every time she wanted something done. It would have been real democracy. She would have had to make compromises. But ofc being the power hungry lunatic that she is, she didn't want that, so bribed SPD with a ludicrous number of cabinet positions. Her own party is rather pissed off at her for it.
Original post by Chucke1992
Kamikaze move?

In a way. For the party as a whole.

Not for the people involved. They were bribed with the best cabinet positions. E.g. finance is now out of CDU's hand...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending