The Student Room Group

Student subjected to racist abuse at Nottingham Trent University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AperfectBalance
But it is not commonplace, when there is a racist incident it is often right on the news and ends up with severe punishment, and if you think that racism is a white thing then think again, go ask an angry pakistani what he thinks of indians, go talk to a Peruvian person and ask their opinions on chile, see what the Japanese think of the chinese (Obviously it is not everyone) it is certainly not a white only thing and things are clearly being done about these issues

Racist experiences are commonplace in UK universities and this is supported by the comments from the National Union of Students officer who reported a rise in the number of incidents being reported. You have to also take into account that escalating racist incident is rare because most BME students don't report them so the few you're hearing about on the news are a fraction. I am not denying that other groups including BME students can express discriminatory views as well so I don't understand why you're trying to switch the narrative of this thread, that is, blatant racism at a UK university, into this conversation about everyone being racist therefore this racist incident is not so serious. Why are you pushing this agenda? Are you trying to shift the focus?
Reply 61
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
I hope the moderators on this forum condemn posts like this one that are attempting to normal racism under the deceitful guise of 'banter' and free speech.

Indeed. My concern is more about the black guy who thinks racist jokes are 'banter'.

I have to wonder if he really is black or if he's a white guy posing as a black person.

If he is black, then my heart really breaks for him.
Racist experiences are commonplace in UK universities and this is supported by the comments from the National Union of Students officer who reported a rise in the number of incidents being reported. You have to also take into account that escalating racist incident is rare because most BME students don't report them so the few you're hearing about on the news are a fraction. I am not denying that other groups including BME students can express discriminatory views as well so I don't understand why you're trying to switch the narrative of this thread, that is, blatant racism at a UK university, into this conversation about everyone being racist therefore this racist incident is not so serious.

And It is then their fault if they do not report it, you cannot be angry about racism directed at you if you fail to report it, I was just stating becaus e you seemed to blame this on just white people that you are wrong, not that because others do it means it is ok.
And It is then their fault if they do not report it, you cannot be angry about racism directed at you if you fail to report it, I was just stating becaus e you seemed to blame this on just white people that you are wrong, not that because others do it means it is ok.

Stop victim blaming. What century did you step out from? Your views are outdated and frankly offensive to boot. If you don't see anything wrong with your post saying that it is the fault of minority students for receiving racist abuse then I can't really continue this conversation. You're a wind up merchant, posting provocative views for a reaction.
Writing off racist chants as lads being lads is a step too far. Are you saying that the outrage over this blatant racism is misplaced? Are you a racist?

I mean if you're going to feign illiteracy sure; why not - never experienced being racist to myself but I might as well give it a shot.

On a slightly more concise and civil note - you clearly didn't understand what I was saying. You're making it out to be like they're a youth wing of National Action or something, the evidence implies they're genuine racists, experience of genuine racists vs those who think racially infused intimidation is some kind of hilarious joke educates one to what is a significant difference - but I don't know why I'm wasting my time explaining this considering you missed the mark where I condoned their behaviour, which means I'm expecting you to only pick out the parts of this that make you seem validated.
Original post by Fruli
Indeed. My concern is more about the black guy who thinks racist jokes are 'banter'.

I have to wonder if he really is black or if he's a white guy posing as a black person.

So what if a black person wants to have a different opinion to you, black people are not some hive mind that have to have the exact opinion, expecting all black people to have the same opinion is in its own way kinda racist.
Stop victim blaming. What century did you step out from? Your views are outdated and frankly offensive to boot. If you don't see anything wrong with your post saying that it is the fault of minority students for receiving racist abuse then I can't really continue this conversation. You're a wind up merchant, posting provocative views for a reaction.

I never said that it is the fault of them FOR RECIVING THE ABUSE just it is their fault if they do not then report it in and somehow expect things to be dealt with.
Glad to see these guys arrested and hopefully removed from uni as a result if they’re convicted. What morons.
Original post by Fruli

Which one is it? The poor soul has been brainwashed to self-hate.
Original post by Fruli
I think this is interesting.

As a black person I have to say, I've always been aware of prejudice and racism, I've experienced it and also know many people who have experienced it.

What's always been interesting is how fair and balanced people, e.g. colleagues often seem unaware of how there can be differences in how a person of colour is treated differently from them.

Since Brexit, racism and prejudice are finally coming to the forefront and maybe those balanced and fair people would rather default to putting the victim in the wrong? I have to wonder whether these fair and balanced people have always been aware of these differences, but chose to turn a blind eye? Just thinking out loud...

It's a shame that it's taken Brexit to bring them to the forefront.

Give it a rest.

Yeah, they shouted about Brexit.

But more than 17 million people voted for Brexit to give this country back its sovereignty. It is absurd to conflate a couple of knuckle dragging racists with a nationwide struggle to free this country from the undemocratic EU.
Reply 70
Which one is it? The poor soul has been brainwashed to self-hate.

Indeed he has
So what if a black person wants to have a different opinion to you, black people are not some hive mind that have to have the exact opinion, expecting all black people to have the same opinion is in its own way kinda racist.

This thread is hilariously single-minded in any case, the two white fellas got in trouble for it, but obviously not the girl who's screaming "we hate white [insert c word here]"

Because I'm not going to lay down on the A312 to T5 wearing a "#BlackLivesMatter" shirt I am therefore white, this is exceptionally stupid logic even for the TSR news section.
You would need to get the A level results of the people involved before making such assumptions. "small-brained racists" almost gives an excuse to these people i.e they are racist because they have small brains.
There are also incredibly intelligent racists with big brains. This is a national culture problem. They likely think like this privately but are effectively gagged by the laws of this country. Throw a bit of booze in to the mix and soften their inhibitions and the real thoughts and racial hierarchical beliefs come out.

What annoys me is the way we jump on this incident like it's some kind of anomaly and these vile creatures have no place in our society or university. In reality these people are among a sizeable group who just happened to slip up and let their prejudice out. The prejudice is the problem. I would put money on them coming from a normal background.
Reply 73
Original post by generallee
Give it a rest.

Yeah, they shouted about Brexit.

But more than 17 million people voted for Brexit to give this country back its sovereignty. It is absurd to conflate a couple of knuckle dragging racists with a nationwide struggle to free this country from the undemocratic EU.

I did not say Brexiters are racist.

Undeniably there are Brexiters who had race-based motivations and the point is that Brexit emboldened actual racists to come out of their shells.

If you missed this point, then that's not my problem.
IT is their fault if they do not then report it in and somehow expect things to be dealt with.

This is not true. There can be many reasons for why someone doesn't report it from fear of revenge or persecution, to not wanting to draw unwanted attention to themselves, to thinking you will not believed and finally not enough being done which is the real sad thing here. Just look at how long it took for the university to act in the Warwick case and here it took outrage from social media to spur action. Surely then you can't blame students for not having much confidence in the institution that has failed them repeatedly.

@nevershear
The girl who screamed 'white BLEEP' was another white student (go on the twitter thread). 3 posts ago you were just arguing with @Fruli that racism is not that serious and that 'bum' stuff happens at unis. I can't take your hypocrisy seriously.

You're right about one thing black people are not a monolith but it goes to show that an idiot can be white, black, brown or even purple!
Original post by Good bloke
This appears to be yet another case where someone reported a crime to the wrong people. Why tell the university who do nothing for hours when the police service is right place to make the report (and who treat hate crime as a priority), preferably while the crime is still being committed?

Because:

1) Going to the police is more intimidating. Filing a false report to the police can sometimes lead to charges against yourself, and people even with genuine reports are probably put off by the risk of not being believed.

2) The University can take action that police can't. For example, even if the charges against the student is dropped by the police, the University can still enforce some kind of punishment.

3) People are more and more accustomed to doing things via social media, and publicly. Publicly sharing a video online of someone committing an offense is probably becoming more natural to people, while going through police bureaucracy is becoming less natural.
Reply 76
Original post by F Creaven
You would need to get the A level results of the people involved before making such assumptions. "small-brained racists" almost gives an excuse to these people i.e they are racist because they have small brains.
There are also incredibly intelligent racists with big brains. This is a national culture problem. They likely think like this privately but are effectively gagged by the laws of this country. Throw a bit of booze in to the mix and soften their inhibitions and the real thoughts and racial hierarchical beliefs come out.

What annoys me is the way we jump on this incident like it's some kind of anomaly and these vile creatures have no place in our society or university. In reality these people are among a sizeable group who just happened to slip up and let their prejudice out. The prejudice is the problem. I would put money on them coming from a normal background.

Very true.
This is not true. There can be many reasons for why someone doesn't report it from fear of revenge or persecution, to not wanting to draw unwanted attention to themselves, to thinking you will not believed and finally not enough being done which is the real sad thing here. Just look at how long it took for the university to act in the Warwick case and here it took outrage from social media to spur action. Surely then you can't blame students for not having much confidence in the institution that has failed them repeatedly.

@nevershear
The girl who screamed 'white BLEEP' was another white student (go on the twitter thread). 3 posts ago you were just arguing with @Fruli that racism is not that serious and that 'bum' stuff happens at unis. I can't take your hypocrisy seriously.

You're right about one thing black people are not a monolith but it goes to show that an idiot can be white, black, brown or even purple!

Quote me where I said racism is not serious and I'll apologise for it, because that is far from the truth. Also it was implied that I am some kind of self-hating anarchist, yet somehow because the other student was white what she said was okay, you'll understand if I therefore don't fully comprehend your take on hypocrisy.
(edited 6 years ago)
'Racist' jokes can be funny

WTF???
Original post by AngeryPenguin
WTF???

If a joke is racist and people laugh then by definition it is a racist joke that people find funny

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending