The Student Room Group

I want to be a teacher AMA

Title says it all, ask away
Original post by Dodo0099
Title says it all, ask away

Why?

What subject?

What age?

What qualifications or schemes will you do?
Reply 2
Just wondering have you any teachers in the family?

Not to put you off but I have. They go to school early to prep, they have full teaching days of 5-6 lessons then stay late to do all the admin, detention follow ups, extra coaching classes, revision classes etc etc. Come home, have a quick dinner and then and do at least 2 hours of lesson prep and marking. At the weekend there is more of the same.

But if you are prepared for all the hard work and additional working hours, are ambitious and have drive then it can be rewarding.

Plus you need thick skin.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Why?

What subject?

What age?

What qualifications or schemes will you do?

Why?- I just want to see people learn really, I find teaching others immensely rewarding and just want to help people progress (in life generally) I sat down and thought long and hard about it and realized that I didn't want to be in a soul- sucking career that didn't motivate me.

What Subject- I want to teach at primary so I'll probably be doing a little bit of everything, that's fine by me, variety is the spice of life

What Age- Primary
Original post by Racoon
Just wondering have you any teachers in the family?

Not to put you off but I have. They go to school early to prep, they have full teaching days of 5-6 lessons then stay late to do all the admin, detention follow ups, extra coaching classes, revision classes etc etc. Come home, have a quick dinner and then and do at least 2 hours of lesson prep and marking. At the weekend there is more of the same.

But if you are prepared for all the hard work and additional working hours, are ambitious and have drive then it can be rewarding.

Plus you need thick skin.

Nope but I know a lot of teachers

That schedules fine by me, I get bored really quickly if I don't have anything to do, and plus i'll be working in the knowledge that I'm helping others. Honestly doesn't phase me in the slightest.

Define Ambitious? I mean i want to see people learn (even if it's just the knowledge required for the tests) and progress generally really. I'd be quite happy if I didn't progress at all in my career (ie If i didn't become a headteacher) but idk

That schedules fine by me, I get bored really quickly if I don't have anything to do, and plus i'll be working in the knowledge that I'm helping others. Honestly doesn't phase me in the slightest.

Define Ambitious? I mean i want to see people learn (even if it's just the knowledge required for the tests) and progress generally really. I'd be quite happy if I didn't progress at all in my career (ie If i didn't become a headteacher) but idk

To what level have you studied mathematics?
Original post by BuryMathsTutor

GCSE
Original post by BuryMathsTutor

GCSE but if you're wondering about the professional skills test, I've already started revising...
How are babies made?
Are you on TeachFirst
Reply 10

If you treat it as more of a vocation (it seems you will be) then you should be fine. Hopefully you'll get a lot of job satisfaction.
Original post by Racoon
If you treat it as more of a vocation (it seems you will be) then you should be fine. Hopefully you'll get a lot of job satisfaction.

Thank you, I've only been interested for a short while, I didn't really consider it as a profession until a couple of years ago (I wanted to get a job with the Environment Agency LOL)
Would you ever consider making revision resources that are widely available for anybody to use?
Original post by HotDetermination
Would you ever consider making revision resources that are widely available for anybody to use?

Yes, of course. (for money, jk jk)
Original post by niteninja1
Are you on TeachFirst

Nope
Original post by jsk800
How are babies made?

In factories

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending