The Student Room Group

Thoughts on fountain pen?

Hello!

Random off-work kind of question....

I have been collecting fountain pens for approx 5 years and have a collection of 11 from basics such as a Parker sonnet to my most expensive being a viscontini homosapien Bronze Age with quite a few sailor fountain pens.All these -ens are within a comfortable price range for my parents to purchase for me{below £400).

However I have been working really hard at school/A-levels etc lately and my parents are willing to buy me another pen.I was thinking of other stuff I may need but none came up{covered in terms of tech, clothes,etc...}

I was looking at a montblanc meisterstuck 149 fountain pen.Its pushing the comfort zone in terms of price at £650 but surely as a Montblanc it will retain its value and I believe I will cherish it for decades to come{hopefully at least:}

Would you say its worth pushing and getting this pen or to invest in something else/A cheaper pen{recommendations from other enthusiasts appreciated:}

Thanks.
Original post by VNN
Hello!

I have been collecting fountain pens for approx 5 years and have a collection of 11 from basics such as a Parker sonnet to my most expensive being a viscontini homosapien Bronze Age with quite a few sailor fountain pens.All these -ens are within a comfortable price range for my parents to purchase for me{below £400).

However I have been working really hard at school/A-levels etc lately and my parents are willing to buy me another pen.I was thinking of other stuff I may need but none came up{covered in terms of tech, clothes,etc...}

I was looking at a montblanc meisterstuck 149 fountain pen.Its pushing the comfort zone in terms of price at £650 but surely as a Montblanc it will retain its value and I believe I will cherish it for decades to come{hopefully at least:}

Would you say its worth pushing and getting this pen or to invest in something else/A cheaper pen{recommendations from other enthusiasts appreciated:}

Thanks.

Couldnt you ask a pen expert as to whether hey have appreciated over time? If thats where you get your pleasure from then go for it but personally id rather have the cash. If the pen becomes so valuable then the only place you can use it will be at home for fear of it being stolen.
Original post by 999tigger
Couldnt you ask a pen expert as to whether hey have appreciated over time? If thats where you get your pleasure from then go for it but personally id rather have the cash. If the pen becomes so valuable then the only place you can use it will be at home for fear of it being stolen.

I will check that out but I believe that they remain steady as those which do appreciate are vintage pens or limited editions new len(which runs into the thousands)...
Original post by VNN
I will check that out but I believe that they remain steady as those which do appreciate are vintage pens or limited editions new len(which runs into the thousands)...

If you have the money and its what you want then buy it. I could think of better things, but your money. If your parents cant easily afford it, then it is a definite no.
If you have the money and its what you want then buy it. I could think of better things, but your money. If your parents cant easily afford it, then it is a definite no.

Cool thanks for the advice.Out of curiosity what would you spend the money on?
Original post by VNN
Cool thanks for the advice.Out of curiosity what would you spend the money on?

All depends how much money your family has and whether your parents can afford or not. I'm assuming you have plenty.

If I was going into A levels, then savings are good as you can use them on things you will need in the future. That might be revision books r paying to go to open days or a laptop.

If the pen is what you want, you will use it, plus it keeps its value then go for it. There must be some pen forums somewhere?
you could try the "fountain pens uk" on facebook.
they are a very active group and very knowledgeable.
I am a member but my collection and knowledge is limited.
All depends how much money your family has and whether your parents can afford or not. I'm assuming you have plenty.

If I was going into A levels, then savings are good as you can use them on things you will need in the future. That might be revision books r paying to go to open days or a laptop.

If the pen is what you want, you will use it, plus it keeps its value then go for it. There must be some pen forums somewhere?

That’s a very good point.Were not rich as such😛However I’m very worried about the value proposition.

My idea has always been that my parents pay for anything study related and I pay for luxuries but I have dangerous like train of thought that saving is useless since I’m going to spend that money anyway and money is to be spent.

Please help😅?
Original post by RuthieG101
you could try the "fountain pens uk" on facebook.
they are a very active group and very knowledgeable.
I am a member but my collection and knowledge is limited.

Cool.Thx I’ll check it out
Original post by VNN
Hello!

Thanks.

You'll call me stupid but get yourself a Jinhao X250 or X450, I've been through loads of top brand fountain pens and I've yet to find anything better... oh and the fact they cost under £5. Don't let price dictate quality.
Original post by Peter Westbury
You'll call me stupid but get yourself a Jinhao X250 or X450, I've been through loads of top brand fountain pens and I've yet to find anything better... oh and the fact they cost under £5. Don't let price dictate quality.

Stupid😛Just joking.Are you sure as to the fact that fountain pen being inferior as that saddens me to just hear that😉How So?
Original post by VNN
Stupid😛Just joking.Are you sure as to the fact that fountain pen being inferior as that saddens me to just hear that😉How So?

Hahaha knew it 😂 A lot of mid range £300 to £500 pens I've used are either too scratchy, have barely any flex in the nib or just feel like crap in the hand, the X250 and X450 I find have a nice weight to them, very flexible nib and increadibly smooth flow. It's worth picking one up from Amazon, X250 is about £2.99 with free p&p so you're not loosing anything by trying, and to be fair some of them do look pretty sexy ngl 😂
Hahaha knew it 😂 A lot of mid range £300 to £500 pens I've used are either too scratchy, have barely any flex in the nib or just feel like crap in the hand, the X250 and X450 I find have a nice weight to them, very flexible nib and increadibly smooth flow. It's worth picking one up from Amazon, X250 is about £2.99 with free p&p so you're not loosing anything by trying, and to be fair some of them do look pretty sexy ngl 😂

🙃Wow I’m shocked that the X250 is a fountain pen and it looks soooo good for that price and has heat review on amazon😧Bit I’m baffled there must be a catch it can’t be anything more than a steel nib yet how?
Original post by VNN
🙃Wow I’m shocked that the X250 is a fountain pen and it looks soooo good for that price and has heat review on amazon😧Bit I’m baffled there must be a catch it can’t be anything more than a steel nib yet how?

Literally my thoughts exactly 😂, it's a scam in that you'll feel like **** spending all that money on others only to find out there's something just as good for a butt load cheaper 😭 added bonus of coming with an ink converter for free, the whole thing has such and expensive and premium weight and feel to it honestly I don't understand how they're so damn cheap 😂 if you ever get one shoot me a message, I'm genuinely curious to see what your opinion on it is 👌
Literally my thoughts exactly 😂, it's a scam in that you'll feel like **** spending all that money on others only to find out there's something just as good for a butt load cheaper 😭 added bonus of coming with an ink converter for free, the whole thing has such and expensive and premium weight and feel to it honestly I don't understand how they're so damn cheap 😂 if you ever get one shoot me a message, I'm genuinely curious to see what your opinion on it is 👌

Ikr😂I’ll check it out and get back to you on this thread.
Original post by VNN
Ikr😂I’ll check it out and get back to you on this thread.

Oh sh*t yeah I just remembered the X250 has like a month delivery time, I think the X450 is fine though. Good luck 😂
Any more thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest