The Student Room Group

biology or further maths a-level??

so I'm in year 11 and have selected these a-level options for next year: chemistry, psychology, maths and further maths. I want to study medicine at uni and I know that it would be better if I did biology but the biology facilities and teachers at my school aren't very good and I would really like to take further maths instead as the class is tiny (there are only 2 in the current year 12 class and from the 180 in my year only 3 people have selected it ) so I would have really focused teaching and maths is my favourite subject. I have spoken to the school careers advisor and she said that based on my current grades and report I could take either but I know that it may be harder to get a place at uni if I don't have biology. please could some one give me some advice as I don't know what to do??
Original post by tkh2807
so I'm in year 11 and have selected these a-level options for next year: chemistry, psychology, maths and further maths. I want to study medicine at uni and I know that it would be better if I did biology but the biology facilities and teachers at my school aren't very good and I would really like to take further maths instead as the class is tiny (there are only 2 in the current year 12 class and from the 180 in my year only 3 people have selected it ) so I would have really focused teaching and maths is my favourite subject. I have spoken to the school careers advisor and she said that based on my current grades and report I could take either but I know that it may be harder to get a place at uni if I don't have biology. please could some one give me some advice as I don't know what to do??

I would suggest doing biology if medicine is the goal. Have you found medicine schools that will take you without biology as most stipulate it as a compulsory subject. If I was you I’d ditch psychology and do both biology and further maths. If your good at maths, futher maths is an easy one to get an A or even A* in.

Most or possibly all universities will not even consider you for medicine without biology and chemistry A Level. To not take biology would probably end your chances of doing medicine.
Biology is only needed by a few medical schools I believe, and the others wont look at you different for not doing it. I Suggest looking at possible universities' entry and requirements before you decide.
What are you expecting from a medicine degree? Are you not aware that is it involves biology for 6 years? I find it concerning that you're not passionate about doing Biology at A-Level yet still want to do medicine as a degree.

Do biology. If you want to do further maths, drop psychology.
Original post by tkh2807

If maths is your favourite subject, why do you want to do medicine?
Do you have to take 4 at your school ? I would try to do 3, but not including further maths as medical schools don’t accept fm as a suitable third a level with maths as well.

Many unis ask for chemistry and one day other science out of biology, maths and physics, but biology would leave more open to you. I just think that, if you really want to do medicine, then why limit your options now ?? There could be places that ask for bio and chem, that you would be guaranteed an interview at with your GCSEs or ukcat, yet you would have cut them off already. You should look at uni websites to see just how many want biology and chemistry.

I would take chemistry, biology and maths or chemistry, biology and psychology. Doing further maths will not get you anywhere, because it tends to be only suitable as a forth subject and (I’m not sure, so maybe do research on this bit) I think that could mean your offer would only include grades in your other 3.
Original post by tkh2807

i do both biology and further maths, and lemme tell you, further maths is very challenging and the rate at which it becomes challenging is very steep, meaning you'll have to dedicate a good amount on it.

do biology, I personally find it easier than FM
Original post by tkh2807

An easier option would be don’t do psychology. Taking Maths, Chemistry and Biology would be enough and what is typically taken. Or, Further maths in place of Biology if you’d prefer.
definitely do biology, its also worth pointing out that some universities do not consider maths and further maths separate subjects if you have both for stuff like medicine

Quick Reply

Latest