The Student Room Group

Do you feel like death is a taboo topic to discuss?

Mental health in general has had more campaigns about speaking about it and I recently watched a radio interview with Martin Lewis talking about the death of his mother but personally I still feel it's a bit of a tabbo for some people. How do you feel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In regard to mental health, talking about death is very taboo imo. Feelings about death are censored for being triggering, which leaves people to struggle with those feelings alone. People are encouraged to talk about their mental health, but only if it’s PG. The reality is you’re made to bottle it up the worst of it as talking about it isn’t allowed.

In general, death makes people uncomfortable. It’s a sensitive and awkward thing to talk about. I don’t really see that changing. :no:
Original post by cat_mac
In regard to mental health, talking about death is very taboo imo. Feelings about death are censored for being triggering, which leaves people to struggle with those feelings alone. People are encouraged to talk about their mental health, but only if it’s PG. The reality is you’re made to bottle it up the worst of it as talking about it isn’t allowed.

In general, death makes people uncomfortable. It’s a sensitive and awkward thing to talk about. I don’t really see that changing. :no:

It is certainly a sensitive topic, I do hope things do get better. It took about ten years before I could mention one of my dead relatives in front of new people without them feeling awkward.
Reply 3
I'm a philosopher. Most of my conversations are geared towards death.
It's context sensitive, really. If I ever mention a certain dead uncle of mine (comes up very occasionally 'cause my middle name comes from his first), that really makes conversation take a downward spiral 'cause everybody's a bit like "oooh ****in hell". If you randomly try to ask "why the **** do we even bury our dead" at dinner that can be quite shocking for some.

Comparatively, in philosophy classes you can bring up stuff like dying all the time and people will go "oooh interesting question/contribution, hmmm" and act like it was nothing bad at all. Radio interviews is sort of some way inbetween 'cause it's geared towards a celeb giving their story to make some kind of important point and people are willing to listen to that.

I guess it could be less taboo in more mainstream areas, yeah.
Reply 5
It is less of a big deal the more of it you have experienced. I have (well, had) a (typically) huge (Liverpool-Irish) family, so death is something I had to get used to quickly, dramatic as that sounds. Never been taboo for us because it has always been there; talking about it has always been part of the process, as it were.
I think that the idea of death, the ultimate equaliser as the meekest and mightiest shall surely face it to the same degree, has the power to ease anxiety and feelings of inadequacy. I don't agree that it is taboo, in an MH setting or otherwise, but then again I don't spend much time interacting with MH content.
Reply 7
Original post by Notoriety
I think that the idea of death, the ultimate equaliser as the meekest and mightiest shall surely face it to the same degree, has the power to ease anxiety and feelings of inadequacy. I don't agree that it is taboo, in an MH setting or otherwise, but then again I don't spend much time interacting with MH content.

Yeah, I was brought up to see it that way. My Granddad had (and consequently my Dad has) this conviction that you should do what you want today 'cos ye might be dead t'morra, son'. I think like that most of the time and it means that I'm prepared to get off my arse and go get things. Not out of fear of death, but because of the pragmatic recognition that it always lurks.
Reply 8
Original post by Notoriety
I don't agree that it is taboo, in an MH setting or otherwise, but then again I don't spend much time interacting with MH content.

Not really your place to comment then is it?
It’s very taboo to talk about death in the MH community, as it can be triggering. On here comments get removed if you talk about it, elsewhere you’re meant to provide a trigger warning and you can get hurled with abuse even if you do. Generally it’s not accepted if you’re having suicidal thoughts to talk about them to anyone other than to a professional (which takes months of waiting list to get an appointment). Wouldn’t be surprised if this post isn’t allowed since I said the S word.
It shouldnt be

It’s the only gurantee in life

But humans are scared of the “unknown”
Original post by claireestelle
Mental health in general has had more campaigns about speaking about it and I recently watched a radio interview with Martin Lewis talking about the death of his mother but personally I still feel it's a bit of a tabbo for some people. How do you feel?

For some people. It shouldnt be though as it happens to us all. there was a Tony Livesey interview that made quite an impact.

They were both very moving interviews.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p060f11s
Original post by cat_mac

It makes some people uncomfortable, but not all> I think things have changed, although it has a way to go. If it hadnt then you wouldnt get articles and interviews talking so openly about it.
Original post by 999tigger
For some people. It shouldnt be though as it happens to us all. there was a Tony Livesey interview that made quite an impact.

They were both very moving interviews.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p060f11s

I agree it definitely shouldn't be as there's no escaping it, I know how I d like to die (as in what end of life care I don't want) but people find that so strange . The part where Martin said he d lost his childhood that day really got me, it puts brilliantly how I felt.
Original post by claireestelle
I agree it definitely shouldn't be as there's no escaping it, I know how I d like to die (as in what end of life care I don't want) but people find that so strange . The part where Martin said he d lost his childhood that day really got me, it puts brilliantly how I felt.

In the same week there was a Steven Nolan Podcast on his late night 5 live show where it had people ringing in about losing a parent. I think it was the weekend before last, but i think youd find that a good listen.

If you talk about it early then it gets it out of the way and you know people dont have the burden when that time arrives of worrying what to do.
It makes some people uncomfortable, but not all> I think things have changed, although it has a way to go. If it hadnt then you wouldnt get articles and interviews talking so openly about it.

It’s definitely improving, but there’s still an internal conflict over whether we should censor things like suicide/self harm/eating disorders. I have a friend who’s really struggling with anorexia right now, she’s pretty much on the verge of death, and she gets hate off the “recovery community” for taking selfies and talking about how bad she’s doing. People telling her to stop taking pictures of herself looking visibly sick even though she is literally physically sick and these aren’t even body checks. They just don’t want to see the reality of her disorder and they cut her off instead of helping.

People are trying to cut down on “glamorising mental illness” but what it’s also doing is saying “don’t talk about your mental illness unless you’re recovered or you only talk about the family friendly parts”. It feels very lonely when those who are supposed to support and listen to you shut that line of support. It isn’t everyone but it’s enough people that it actively silences some who are asking for help.
Reply 15
Original post by cat_mac
It’s definitely improving, but there’s still an internal conflict over whether we should censor things like suicide/self harm/eating disorders. I have a friend who’s really struggling with anorexia right now, she’s pretty much on the verge of death, and she gets hate off the “recovery community” for taking selfies and talking about how bad she’s doing. People telling her to stop taking pictures of herself looking visibly sick even though she is literally physically sick and these aren’t even body checks. They just don’t want to see the reality of her disorder and they cut her off instead of helping.

People are trying to cut down on “glamorising mental illness” but what it’s also doing is saying “don’t talk about your mental illness unless you’re recovered or you only talk about the family friendly parts”. It feels very lonely when those who are supposed to support and listen to you shut that line of support. It isn’t everyone but it’s enough people that it actively silences some who are asking for help.

im not sure if you just worded that wrongly, but taking selfies and posting about how bad you're doing doesn't sound like someone asking for help.
Original post by cat_mac

I suppose how youve been raised and taught to think has a large bearing. It would seem quite natural and healthy to be able to talk about it, even if at times it was difficult or awkward. I can see some people would ratehr deny or feel it was too awkward so would prefer denial.

Sorry to hear about your friend and such a waste. I hope for your own sake you can stay loyal and true because neither she nor you will forget that and you will gain strength from it in future. Loyalty is one of the most admirable traits. Just do what you know is right.
Original post by ruhplus
im not sure if you just worded that wrongly, but taking selfies and posting about how bad you're doing doesn't sound like someone asking for help.

The content of her posts are about her team not giving her the help/support she needs, asking if anyone is around to talk, ranting about friends she’s lost because she’s relapsed. She also posts selfies of new clothes (like most teenage girls) and other pictures of her life outside her disorder but, people still send her hate even though her account is on private and she has a TW in her bio and on every picture she posts.

There’s a lot more to it than specifically asking for help, I typed all that out quickly so my wording probably was dodgy!
I suppose how youve been raised and taught to think has a large bearing. It would seem quite natural and healthy to be able to talk about it, even if at times it was difficult or awkward. I can see some people would ratehr deny or feel it was too awkward so would prefer denial.

Sorry to hear about your friend and such a waste. I hope for your own sake you can stay loyal and true because neither she nor you will forget that and you will gain strength from it in future. Loyalty is one of the most admirable traits. Just do what you know is right.

Yeah it does depend on how how your family/friends are, a lot of factors can influence how people think of it really. And thanks, I’m not going anywhere. It’s heart breaking to see people leave because they only want the good part of friendship. :no:
Original post by cat_mac
Yeah it does depend on how how your family/friends are, a lot of factors can influence how people think of it really. And thanks, I’m not going anywhere. It’s heart breaking to see people leave because they only want the good part of friendship. :no:

They arent really friends though, hence the saying you only find out who your real friends are when time get tough. I hope she can turn it around, but the way you described it she seems on a set path. Such a waste, especially as it can happen so quickly. Hang in there. You seem quite self aware of whats happening. That would make it extra frustrating.

Quick Reply

Latest