The Student Room Group
Leeds Arts University
Leeds Arts University
Leeds

Official Leeds Arts University freshers 2023 chat

Hello and welcome to all the Leeds Arts University Freshers of 2023! :hello:

You made it through your exams, results day has been and gone, and now you finally know where you’ll be headed in just a few weeks! :thumbsup:

This is a place where you can introduce yourself, meet other students who’ll be joining you at university, and make a few friends even before you arrive! :yeah:

So to kick off, why not introduce yourself with:
What course you’ll be studying
What you like doing in your spare time
What you’re most looking forward to about studying at Leeds Arts University

Only share as much information as you wish.
In this forum, you can post anonymously if you tick the box at the bottom. :smile:

Finally, a few useful threads you might want to take a look at to help you prepare:
Remember to update your student finance application - The Student Room

Good luck everyone and a massive WELL DONE for everything you have achieved!
Posting as a warning, do not study fine art at leeds arts university. Almost everyone on my course who graduated this year can safely agree that the quality of the education we received was sub- par, and we would've genuinely been better off studying somewhere else or just not bothering with uni at all. In both my second and third year there were 2 submissions, with the 2nd year submission making up a third of our final grade and 3rd year making the remaining two thirds. A common issue many of my coursemates and I experienced was that the tutors essentially skim read our submissions and whatever feedback and criticism they had to give was at best unrelated to our work and at worst literally something people had already included in their submissions. For example being recommended to read books that had already been read and discussed in submissions, being told to experiment in certain ways that had already been discussed in the submission… you get the idea. There are much better arts universities out there that you can spend your student loan at. And the worst part of all this is that the people who did bring this issue up with tutors and who pointed out the flaws in assessment were told there was nothing that could be done after the fact. The fine art staff at this university simply do not care. They do not care that we are going into huge amounts of debt over this degree, they do not care enough to properly assess work. Im embarrassed to even be associated with this university. Again to reiterate this isn’t some fringe issue this is something that has affected a lot of people on this course.

Additionally if you want to explore issues around the more taboo areas of feminism ie sexuality nudity, there have been many times I have witnessed tutors make extremely rude and bigoted comments about the art of others who work in those topics (my art is not focused on these issues so this isn’t something ive personally experienced) but don’t let the fact that there is a supposed “feminist” artist or other female tutors fool you. I have overheard tutors say nasty things behind the backs of students who have been able to get their own private shows despite this degree, it's a very unserious and unprofessional atmosphere. The only person who seemed to really have a good time was someone who's father is on the board of admissions at a very prestigious university in London, because all the tutors are suck ups and will do anything to try and advance their careers instead of actually doing their jobs properly. This is not the place for the risqué, for art that seeks to actively challenge and disturb barriers. This is a place where tutors who failed to achieve the career status they wanted to have by a certain age come to get paid and then half ass their jobs. I'm disgusted that nothing can be done, I'm disgusted that this level of malpractice is tolerated.
Leeds Arts University
Leeds Arts University
Leeds
Original post by turntechdynamite
Posting as a warning, do not study fine art at leeds arts university. Almost everyone on my course who graduated this year can safely agree that the quality of the education we received was sub- par, and we would've genuinely been better off studying somewhere else or just not bothering with uni at all. In both my second and third year there were 2 submissions, with the 2nd year submission making up a third of our final grade and 3rd year making the remaining two thirds. A common issue many of my coursemates and I experienced was that the tutors essentially skim read our submissions and whatever feedback and criticism they had to give was at best unrelated to our work and at worst literally something people had already included in their submissions. For example being recommended to read books that had already been read and discussed in submissions, being told to experiment in certain ways that had already been discussed in the submission… you get the idea. There are much better arts universities out there that you can spend your student loan at. And the worst part of all this is that the people who did bring this issue up with tutors and who pointed out the flaws in assessment were told there was nothing that could be done after the fact. The fine art staff at this university simply do not care. They do not care that we are going into huge amounts of debt over this degree, they do not care enough to properly assess work. Im embarrassed to even be associated with this university. Again to reiterate this isn’t some fringe issue this is something that has affected a lot of people on this course.

Additionally if you want to explore issues around the more taboo areas of feminism ie sexuality nudity, there have been many times I have witnessed tutors make extremely rude and bigoted comments about the art of others who work in those topics (my art is not focused on these issues so this isn’t something ive personally experienced) but don’t let the fact that there is a supposed “feminist” artist or other female tutors fool you. I have overheard tutors say nasty things behind the backs of students who have been able to get their own private shows despite this degree, it's a very unserious and unprofessional atmosphere. The only person who seemed to really have a good time was someone who's father is on the board of admissions at a very prestigious university in London, because all the tutors are suck ups and will do anything to try and advance their careers instead of actually doing their jobs properly. This is not the place for the risqué, for art that seeks to actively challenge and disturb barriers. This is a place where tutors who failed to achieve the career status they wanted to have by a certain age come to get paid and then half ass their jobs. I'm disgusted that nothing can be done, I'm disgusted that this level of malpractice is tolerated.

Which course were you on if you don't mind me asking? I'm set to attend Leeds Art Uni this year and I'd previously heard good things about it but now I'm slightly concerned haha.
Original post by Anonymous
Which course were you on if you don't mind me asking? I'm set to attend Leeds Art Uni this year and I'd previously heard good things about it but now I'm slightly concerned haha.

Nevermind, just literally seen that it's fine art. Thank you for the heads up! really insightful to see. I'm on illustration so I hope that'll be better, I've heard similar stuff about fine art degrees from friends doing them at other reputable institutions. Do you have any similar feedback from illustration students or is it just a fine art issue?
Original post by Anonymous
Nevermind, just literally seen that it's fine art. Thank you for the heads up! really insightful to see. I'm on illustration so I hope that'll be better, I've heard similar stuff about fine art degrees from friends doing them at other reputable institutions. Do you have any similar feedback from illustration students or is it just a fine art issue?

from what I've heard and seen the illustration course is p good, very rigorous they had a lot of assignments from what i remember but great prep for working as an artist in the real world, fine art had the vaguest submissions that too there were only 2 so most people on my course are v behind compared to others in terms of portfolios.
from what I've heard and seen the illustration course is p good, very rigorous they had a lot of assignments from what i remember but great prep for working as an artist in the real world, fine art had the vaguest submissions that too there were only 2 so most people on my course are v behind compared to others in terms of portfolios.

Thank you for the answer! I feel much more reassured now. I'm so sorry you had such a negative experience with fine art, though, thank you for speaking up about your experiences because it's going to help other people who are potentially going onto the same course

Hi @turntechdynamite,

Firstly, I’d like to say I’m disappointed to hear of your frustration and apologise for how you have felt about your degree experience. Where there is evidence of inappropriate behaviours, we would always encourage these to be reported at the time of incident although we realise this might not always be possible. We would like to offer an opportunity for you to discuss any of the issues raised here with me. In addition, I offer an opportunity for you to discuss any of the issues raised here with me. As Course Leader, and tutor, I can assure that we care very much about the student experience and are very aware of the investment of time and costs in studying a degree.

We have two formal submission points in each of L5 (second year) and L6 (third year) where work is graded and assigned a mark. All modules include Formal Formative Feedback Tutorials, critiques and regular tutorial reviews as forums for students to engage in discursive dialogue on their practice and receive guidance on progress, indicative attainment and areas for development.

As is common practice across the Higher Education sector, the degree classification is a combination of assessments across both L5 (one third) and L6 (two thirds). Assessment practices are taken seriously, carefully scheduled with respect to load and are a substantive undertaking, with multiple quality assurance checkpoints.

I hope that by providing this information it may go some way to providing clarification and reassurance. Please direct message me if you would to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Jo Neil

Course Leader, Fine Art.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending