The Student Room Group

High 2:2 in maths is the same performance as a mid to low 2:1 in other subjects?

Is my understanding correct that more students in maths (and sciences?) are awarded 2:2 than in Arts and other subjects, where the majority receive a 2:1?
I remember having a conversation with a tutor, who suggested one of the things he can do in these cases is to write a letter to employers, who demand a 2:1, to explain that variation.

Scroll to see replies

Classification will only hold you back getting your first job. It won't make any difference throughout the rest of your career.
Reply 2
True. Apparently after 6 months of graduation, there isn’t much difference in employment rates between a 2:1 and a 2:2.
But some people change careers and securing an entry level job in a new profession could mean HR again consider degrees to be more important than work experience.
Reply 3
Original post by micwhite
Is my understanding correct that more students in maths (and sciences?) are awarded 2:2 than in Arts and other subjects, where the majority receive a 2:1?
I remember having a conversation with a tutor, who suggested one of the things he can do in these cases is to write a letter to employers, who demand a 2:1, to explain that variation.

Do a degree in a subject you enjoy... there's as big a variation in the proportion of 2:1+s by university as there is by subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure about 2:1 Vs 2:2 but I'm pretty sure maths is one of (if not #1) the subjects with the highest portion of people getting a 1st.
I don't think (m)any HR departments would care about a letter from a uni lecturer saying 'this person is just as good as someone else who did a different degree and got a better grade'.
Reply 6

It would still affect your application, you can’t just ask an employer to consider you because your degree is in maths therefore exceptions should be made, no one will hear you out.
Reply 7
Well, I’m not sure about that. If variations can be proven to exist, a sensible employer should want to logically apply them in a hiring decision. Indeed, some major, well known employers have scrapped the 2:1 requirement, preferring to assess overall academic achievement and performance in interviews. They’re also accepting the fact that a 2:2 from somewhere like Oxford is just as hard, if not harder to get, than a 2:1 from many places.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8

Proportion of 2:1 or better per subject (Maths isn't the highest by any means).

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 13.26.42.jpg
NB. Medicine and VetMed aren't usually classed as honours.
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/publications/students-2015-16
Reply 9
Great. That answers my question. Thanks for posting!
Reply 10
Great. That answers my question. Thanks for posting!

And by university...

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 14.07.47.jpg

Quite a wide range.
Original post by Doonesbury
Proportion of 2:1 or better per subject (Maths isn't the highest by any means).

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 13.26.42.jpg
NB. Medicine and VetMed aren't usually classed as honours.
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/publications/students-2015-16

And by university...

Quite a wide range.

I love your stats :love: They just make me so happy!
Reply 12
Original post by Lemur14
I love your stats :love: They just make me so happy!

:hat2:

(Especially when they contradict a myth... :wink: )
:hat2:

(Especially when they contradict a myth... :wink: )

I just like stats in general, they don't even need to have a purpose :redface:
Reply 14
And by university...

Quite a wide range.
Some really interesting stats there. Don't know what to take from them really. With Oxford in 3rd place and Imperial and Cambridge in 36th and 38th place respectively (about 10% difference) I have to wonder why? Is it the teaching, is it the calibre of students, is it the courses are easier, is it the subjects offered and so on. Could be none of that or could be all of that.

I did expect to see more than 26% had firsts at Cambridge though.
Reply 15
Original post by nutz99
Some really interesting stats there. Don't know what to take from them really. With Oxford in 3rd place and Imperial and Cambridge in 36th and 38th place respectively (about 10% difference) I have to wonder why? Is it the teaching, is it the calibre of students, is it the courses are easier, is it the subjects offered and so on. Could be none of that or could be all of that.

I did expect to see more than 26% had firsts at Cambridge though.

If you want a First go to Surrey :wink:

Nah, it's more complicated than the headline figures...
You need a 2:1 classification to join certain accounting bodies. So it would definitely hold you back in that area. Your ability to gain a graduate scheme position will also be severely affected as well, due to the fact that 90% of grads scheme have a 2:1 degree classification requirement in place.
Reply 17
If you want a First go to Surrey :wink:

Nah, it's more complicated than the headline figures...
Maths at Surrey may be a good combination, statistically speaking :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by EvoBoost4Days
You need a 2:1 classification to join certain accounting bodies. So it would definitely hold you back in that area. Your ability to gain a graduate scheme position will also be severely affected as well, due to the fact that 90% of grads scheme have a 2:1 degree classification requirement in place.

The main UK accounting bodies place no requirement on a degree classification. Indeed, they accept school leavers onto their professional qualifications. With regard to the "fact" that 90% of graduate schemes require a 2:1, I don't believe that. When looking at accounting for example, you can get into at least one of the Big 4 with a 2:2 these days.
Reply 19
Original post by nutz99
Maths at Surrey may be a good combination, statistically speaking :smile:

Statistically 52.63% :biggrin: (with 42% making do with a 2.1)
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/study/10007160FT-UGB10F0001U/ReturnTo/Search

Quick Reply

Latest