The Student Room Group

Exeter vs. Sheffield vs. Leeds Law

Hi everyone! I’m a Canadian who’s been accepted to several Graduate LLB programs, including Exeter and Leeds. I’ve also gotten into Sheffield, where it’s an MA Law though still a qualifying law degree. I’m leaning towards Leeds or Exeter based on rankings and previous posts I’ve read through on this sight, but haven’t ruled out Sheffield yet. Anyway, since I’m not super familiar with the UK any insight you guys have on Law departments/student life/general satisfaction/ the cities themselves/anything important i should know would be so appreciated. Thank you so much in advance! Super excited to head across the pond come fall, wherever I end up 😊
Personally I would say prestige wise, Sheffield is more "common" if you are talking within the city firms. I think there was a thread where a chart can be found, and if I remember correctly, Sheffield provides the most students to the Bar. Also, I think it has the most amount of students working at National firms.

Sheffield + Leeds are larger "city" universities as compared to Exeter. Probably find better nightlife in Leeds, possibly.

Sheffield + Leeds are north, so the weather is often colder etc, I think Sheff uni is pretty close to the peak district, if youre in to greenery etc

I am not sure what things you would find more "important" in your decision making, but I have given some things above. Although, it is worth noting, my view is very limited as I dont go to uni in any of those cities or anywhere near for that matter. Most of it is just what I have picked up from visiting friends.
Original post by TSRFT8
Personally I would say prestige wise, Sheffield is more "common" if you are talking within the city firms. I think there was a thread where a chart can be found, and if I remember correctly, Sheffield provides the most students to the Bar. Also, I think it has the most amount of students working at National firms.

You talking about this? It's in regard to law firms, not actually chambers. Sheffield is the least prominent out of those three. And this list survey has been debunked hundreds of times on this forum.

Any reputational difference is slight, anyway.
Original post by Notoriety
You talking about this? It's in regard to law firms, not actually chambers. Sheffield is the least prominent out of those three. And this list survey has been debunked hundreds of times on this forum.

Any reputational difference is slight, anyway.

Yup although the one I saw had Sheffield at the top, for the bar anyway. I did at the time look it up as I was perplexed but it did in fact provide the highest number to the bar. Also, national firms, although these things just make no difference anyway.

Like you said, all three are pretty much the same in terms of prestige. Personally I would go with Sheffield, just because its a more "lively" campus, but this is my two day experience. Take it with a pinch of salt.
Really sorry, this was like 3 years ago when I was deciding on universities, I could not tell you nor confirm if the source was even the best.

Also, I read that article earlier. I always wondered why Liverpool law school was constantly berated. :biggrin:

Seriously though, there needs to be a cap, those numbers are atrocious. Not sure how a university deals with that amount of students in ONE year.
The Chambers data refers to where trainees completed their undergrad. That includes the GDLs. So it is relevant, I feel, to contextualise against size of the whole student body rather than the size of the law school directly.

Original post by TSRFT8
Really sorry, this was like 3 years ago when I was deciding on universities, I could not tell you nor confirm if the source was even the best.

Also, I read that article earlier. I always wondered why Liverpool law school was constantly berated. :biggrin:

Seriously though, there needs to be a cap, those numbers are atrocious. Not sure how a university deals with that amount of students in ONE year.

Liverpool has no entry standards to speak of; that's their problem! I am not sure if this is inherently tied to the size of intake, though. It is a lack of proper marketing of and investment in the law school. Legal Cheek article is crap as per, mind; there are other large intake schools not mentioned. But I am used to Katie King leaving us wanting more ...
Original post by TSRFT8
Very true, I (just out of curiosity) checked their website to see if the entry requirements have changed, I lolled.

"Academic standards at the University of Liverpool are high and we place strong emphasis on enhancing student employability. You are guaranteed to meet excellent candidates. Undergraduates begin their courses with average grades of AAB"

I would share my Liverpool FOI data, but their website is down at the moment. It basically showed that everyone from BBB+ was given an offer.

Unexpectedly, there was about 5-10% (as I recall) enrolled who had A*AA+. So maybe they're not lying about excellent candidates; it is just you'd have to meet the whole 1800 law students to find a good number of them.
You couldn't even read your data properly, Mr Liverpool Utd.

Also ULaw is spread across all 200 of its campuses. Why intake is fun and worthy of an article is because you imagine 600 people sitting in one room barely being able to hear some bored lecturer talking about the tort of privacy.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending