The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Exeter Vs Sheffield

Exeter is my firm and Sheffield is my insurance.

Exeter is 20/30 places higher league table wise for my course. The deal-breaker is that I think of the lack of diversity there everyday. I remembered going to the Imperial and being the only non-white person there. If there's anything this gap year has taught me, it's that being in a diverse community is important for my wellbeing. I could go to Exeter and achieve better, but not feel the best version of myself.

Sheffield has a special place in my heart and it has the best student union. The only deal-breaker is that it's a city campus and just walking around a city campus bothers me.

So do I solely rely on cultural societies in Exeter or go to Sheffield's cultural societies knowing that even when I'm not joining I'd still meet a more diverse set of people anyway.
What are you actually applying to?

Also I wouldn't put too much weight on league tables usually. One year they could be 30 places apart and the next they could swap places...or be 1 place apart...
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
What are you actually applying to?

Also I wouldn't put too much weight on league tables usually. One year they could be 30 places apart and the next they could swap places...or be 1 place apart..

Politics and Spanish
Original post by iamwhoiam1234
Politics and Spanish

Although I've heard good things about the politics department at Exeter, if you know you wouldn't be comfortable or happy there, then there's little point going - because that will affect your academics ultimately by draining energy away from your academic work to try and navigate that. If you much prefer Sheffield, go there - since as I noted, the league tables may well change next year, and almost certainly could change significantly by the time you graduate. Plus, nobody except school leavers and school "UCAS officers" and the like actually care about league tables. Employers absolutely do not care about them, and they're a non-factor for graduate study.
Reply 4
Exeter pros:
-Nature = essential for my wellbeing
-Great academics

Exeter cons:
-constantly thinking about race 24/7

Sheffield Pros:
-More likely to become the best version of myself socially here
-Better diversity

Sheffield cons:
-city campus = big no-no
-lacks convenient greenery I need for a random nearby walk I need for my mental health
Exeter pros:
-Nature = essential for my wellbeing
-Great academics

Exeter cons:
-constantly thinking about race 24/7

Sheffield Pros:
-More likely to become the best version of myself socially here
-Better diversity

Sheffield cons:
-city campus = big no-no
-lacks convenient greenery I need for a random nearby walk I need for my mental health

Hi,

I thought I would jump in here as a recent graduate as it might be useful.

The university describes itself as a city/campus university. When I was looking at universities, I was 100% sure that I didn't want a city university because I didn't want all the buildings spread out. Sheffield was the best of both worlds for me as the uni is in close proximity to the city and you can walk from on side of "campus" to the other in 10 minutes. As all the university buildings are together within the city, I still got the campus feeling I was looking for.

Greenery is one of the factors that drew me to Sheffield. The city itself is located in close proximity to the peak district so students regularly hop on the bus out to the peaks, and a lot of societies train there etc. The university and the student accommodation at Endcliffe and Ranmoor are surrounded by green spaces and parks. These are very popular with students, particularly in the summer, with students taking a break after exams or enjoying the sun.

Good luck with your upcoming exams! If you have any specific questions let me know!

Meg :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi,

I thought I would jump in here as a recent graduate as it might be useful.

The university describes itself as a city/campus university. When I was looking at universities, I was 100% sure that I didn't want a city university because I didn't want all the buildings spread out. Sheffield was the best of both worlds for me as the uni is in close proximity to the city and you can walk from on side of "campus" to the other in 10 minutes. As all the university buildings are together within the city, I still got the campus feeling I was looking for.

Greenery is one of the factors that drew me to Sheffield. The city itself is located in close proximity to the peak district so students regularly hop on the bus out to the peaks, and a lot of societies train there etc. The university and the student accommodation at Endcliffe and Ranmoor are surrounded by green spaces and parks. These are very popular with students, particularly in the summer, with students taking a break after exams or enjoying the sun.

Good luck with your upcoming exams! If you have any specific questions let me know!

Meg :smile:

Thank you!!!!!! Could you tell me any good spots I could casually walk around in the mornings before class for my mental well-being? And what could you say about the diversity there? Do you know if Filipino society is thriving?
Thank you!!!!!! Could you tell me any good spots I could casually walk around in the mornings before class for my mental well-being? And what could you say about the diversity there? Do you know if Filipino society is thriving?

Hey,
It is so great that you are prioritising your mental health! There are so many parks near and on campus that you can walk around in the mornings, Endcliffe Park (where you can walk out to the peak district) and the botanical gardens are right next to the first year accommodation (Endcliffe and Ranmoor), and Western park and Crookesvalley park (which has a reservoir with fish in!) are also beautiful and are right opposite the students union. Western Park library also has a panoramic view of the park which is beautiful.
The diversity within the University is really good, and the University is continually working hard to improve as well which is great to see. The city as a whole is also very diverse, in terms of the local population as well as the student population from both the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam.
Unfortunately I am not sure about what the Filipino society is up to currently but it may be worth checking the Sheffield SU Societies page as they may have some of their social media sites on there! https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/activities/find-student-groups
I hope this has helped!
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Reply 8
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey,
It is so great that you are prioritising your mental health! There are so many parks near and on campus that you can walk around in the mornings, Endcliffe Park (where you can walk out to the peak district) and the botanical gardens are right next to the first year accommodation (Endcliffe and Ranmoor), and Western park and Crookesvalley park (which has a reservoir with fish in!) are also beautiful and are right opposite the students union. Western Park library also has a panoramic view of the park which is beautiful.
The diversity within the University is really good, and the University is continually working hard to improve as well which is great to see. The city as a whole is also very diverse, in terms of the local population as well as the student population from both the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam.
Unfortunately I am not sure about what the Filipino society is up to currently but it may be worth checking the Sheffield SU Societies page as they may have some of their social media sites on there! https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/activities/find-student-groups
I hope this has helped!
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Thank you! I've been on a gap year so I've gotten a better idea of what makes me happy and I know that I missed the diversity of my sixth form. Going to Exeter also made me realise how much I want greenery around my uni. When I did go to Sheffield I only really saw the building for Politics and Spanish so my impression of the city was nothing associated with greenery.

Thank you for telling me!! You've been so helpful x

Since Sheffield doesn't do salsa society, do you think I could join through Sheffield Hallam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending