The Student Room Group

Is it necessary to update software on a iPhone?

I keep getting a pop up to update my iPhone's software to iOS 11 but I haven't. I tried to a few times but it keeps saying you can't update at this time try again
later but is it necessary to update it? Is it free? What will happen if I don't update and what happens if I do update it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Original post by s817
Anyone?

You should update it. Any bugs are usually fixed and the software generally runs better. But you should update it whilst its connected to itunes on the computer so you get a clean update.

After a while, apps lose compatibility for older software versions. So soon your whatsapp will stop working for example
Original post by s817
Anyone?

No

Unless you're interested in new features.
Na, i have had my iphone 6 two years and not updated once, keep getting notifications saying my phone has not been backed up in 98 weeks and stuff.

i should note that my old ipod 4th gen became useless when i eventually updated it as it wiped half the old versions of apps to install the new ones but could't as they were not compatible, yay.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by trippieblue
You should update it. Any bugs are usually fixed and the software generally runs better. But you should update it whilst its connected to itunes on the computer so you get a clean update.

After a while, apps lose compatibility for older software versions. So soon your whatsapp will stop working for example

It's probably not a good idea if you have iPhone 6s and below

The new software makes these phones run slower and drains their battery faster - it's not purposefully bad intentions; it's just the old hardware can't keep up
Original post by Kyber Ninja

The new software makes these phones run slower and drains their battery faster - it's not purposefully bad intentions; it's just the old hardware can't keep up

Apple themselves admitted a long time ago like in November or December that they intentionally slowed down Iphones because of a battery issue via a software update, but apple have been doing this for a whole anyway and a lot of people know that.
Original post by Iahmed512
Apple themselves admitted a long time ago like in November or December that they intentionally slowed down Iphones because of a battery issue via a software update, but apple have been doing this for a whole anyway and a lot of people know that.

Not OP apparently :smile:
Not OP apparently :smile:

Yeah I know, I'm quoting you because you not the OP said that about apple slowing down and"it's not purposefully bad intentions" but it is.
Yeah I know, I'm quoting you because you not the OP said that about apple slowing down and"it's not purposefully bad intentions" but it is.

No really - if it didn't, the phone would shut down

I think you'd rather have a slow phone than a non-usable phone
Original post by s817
I keep getting a pop up to update my iPhone's software to iOS 11 but I haven't. I tried to a few times but it keeps saying you can't update at this time try again
later but is it necessary to update it? Is it free? What will happen if I don't update and what happens if I do update it?

It isn't necessary but if automatic updates are on it will update itself so you should ensure it is off. It might be slower not just because of apple slowing it down but because of the hardware. Software updates are always supposed to have less bugs and be more secure but major software updates like IOS 10 to 11 have extra features but some of these may not apply to older phones anyway.
No really - if it didn't, the phone would shut down

I think you'd rather have a slow phone than a non-usable phone

Sorry can you explain the first part it's not clear, are you saying the phone would shut down if it didn't get updated

Oh wow, don't know why, I thought you weren't being serious, but it really is true then. So the OP probably does need to do the software update then.
Oh wow, don't know why, I thought you weren't being serious, but it really is true then. So the OP probably does need to do the software update then.

I think it's a balanced approach

You'll probably get a new phone soon if your phone is old, so maybe not worth doing the update

and if your phone is old, but one of the new models, again, maybe not worth it
I think it's a balanced approach

You'll probably get a new phone soon if your phone is old, so maybe not worth doing the update

and if your phone is old, but one of the new models, again, maybe not worth it

But if the phone shuts down if not updated then you don't really get a choice?!
But if the phone shuts down if not updated then you don't really get a choice?!

The decision you make is based on the assumption that the event is unlikely
The decision you make is based on the assumption that the event is unlikely

Oh right, don't even know why I'm saying all this stuff, don't even have iPhone.

If you have a 6 or newer you can get a £25 battery replacement from Apple during 2018, I did this recently and it's like having a new phone again. :biggrin:

The batteries are going to age over 3 years regardless of whether you have new software or not, and you'll be pushed onto it eventually for compatibly etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending