The Student Room Group

terrified of my exams :/

My first GCSE exam ( Spanish speaking) and then there is about three weeks until exam season begins.
I did a speaking mock the other week but I was so unbelievably tense and trying so hard to hold back tears (even though nothing had gone wrong) that it was affecting my ability to speak and think quickly.
And although I've been revising for months and have done past papers, I'm afraid of two things: the exam itself to an extent and the obvious disappointment on results day.
People keep telling me "you're best is all you can do" and that it will be fine but I just feel so overwhelmed.
so, those who have been through this, what advice have you got to get my heart rate down?
You’ll relax into them once you realise the exam situation is exactly the same for everything. The first ones gonna be nerve wracking, it’s kinda unavoidable, but if you’re prepared enough you’ll be fine. I reckon you’ll be amazed how quickly you settle in to the routine of having one virtually every day, especially over the whole 4 weeks or so. I sat my GCSE’s last year, and regarding nerves I’d just say, don’t be afraid to take your time, if you need 5 mins to ponder a question, take it. It’ll save you from being stressed and thinking in a hurry is never good. As for results day, I was slightly disappointed with mine, but you just gotta realise they probably won’t hold you back in the long run. Good luck! X
rt I'm finding it so hard to revise for Spanish speaking; in fact, Spanish in general! :angry::bawling:
I think I overestimated myself in the first place because of what was always expected of me and now it has dawned on me how class exams are and how little time I have to become as good as I want to be.
Original post by Hiraeth.
rt I'm finding it so hard to revise for Spanish speaking; in fact, Spanish in general! :angry::bawling:

me too! I did a few mindmaps about a month ago and nothing since other than learning some stuff for my speaking exam and i know ill forget all that on the spot. I have no idea what to do! any ideas on how to prep for listening?
message me if you like :smile:
Original post by louisaharkness
me too! I did a few mindmaps about a month ago and nothing since other than learning some stuff for my speaking exam and i know ill forget all that on the spot. I have no idea what to do! any ideas on how to prep for listening?
message me if you like :smile:

Oh i'm going to be honest, Spanish is my worst subject by far (only scored a 6)

For listening our teacher has given us logins for a website that has listening resources so it helps to identify words otherwise the only thing that can really help you, and the key thing for all the Spanish exams is just "key vocab" which my teacher always drills into my head. Sadly it's too hard and dreary to learn key vocab and I'll know i'll forget it.

They generally word things differently. They won't explicitly say "no me gusta futbol" (I don't like football) but instead they might say something like "en mi opinion, futbol es muy abburido" (in my opinion football is very boring).

Don't hold too hard on this advice. I'm bad at Spanish so you're probably best at asking a teacher ahah :lol:
Original post by louisaharkness
I think I overestimated myself in the first place because of what was always expected of me and now it has dawned on me how class exams are and how little time I have to become as good as I want to be.

Same girl, I was predicted straight A*s and ended up with A*A*AAAAAAABB, so I felt like I’d failed even though i got good grades, just realise that some days are bad days, and the exam may reflect that, or it may not, and everyone’s in the same boat in that respect
[QUOTE="Hiraeth.;77059728"]Oh i'm going to be honest, Spanish is my worst subject by far (only scored a 6)

For listening our teacher has given us logins for a website that has listening resources so it helps to identify words otherwise the only thing that can really help you, and the key thing for all the Spanish exams is just "key vocab" which my teacher always drills into my head. Sadly it's too hard and dreary to learn key vocab and I'll know i'll forget it.

They generally word things differently. They won't explicitly say "no me gusta futbol" (I don't like football) but instead they might say something like "en mi opinion, futbol es muy abburido" (in my opinion football is very boring).

Don't hold too hard on this advice. I'm bad at Spanish so you're probably best at asking
Original post by Hiraeth.
Oh i'm going to be honest, Spanish is my worst subject by far (only scored a 6)

Don't hold too hard on this advice. I'm bad at Spanish so you're probably best at asking a teacher ahah :lol:

I had an interview on the day of spanish listening mock so I missed it and have no idea what to expect other than my friends all saying it was hard 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending