The Student Room Group

A* grade on the A level Computer Science Project

Hello all,

I am an A2 level student doing Computer science. I am being concerned about my a level project because I need to get an A* on it. For everyone who got A* on their A level computer science project, is it ok to ask you what did you do to get an A* and what do they really want to see in order to get it?

P.S I am doing OCR computer Science
Whilst I am doing OCR Computer Science the only real advice I can offer you is simply meet the objectives. Marking CS projects is an objective thing, and you just have to satisfy the criteria given by OCR in their specification as best you can. I'm currently on track to receive ~90%+ and this is what I'm doing.

In terms of your design phase, try to make as many useful prototypes on paper before making digital copies. Give them annotations, criticise them, and then communicate with your client and make sure that their opinion is considered before making decisions. Always always make your client sign beneath the design headers--it shows your communication.

In terms of your software development phase, just document your code succinctly. Don't document things that you needn't, such as how you intend to place a button in a Windows form, say. I'm currently using Unity in my computer science project and I'm only documenting the code--this is sufficient.

Your evaluation is what it is. It's not going to be easy to evaluate but the headers should elucidate some things for you. Try looking also at the exemplar projects.

Whilst we're on the subject--do you have any form of computer science OCR A level resources I could have? I'm currently in a position of dire straits and any resources floating around anyone may have will be of significant use to me.

All the best.
Original post by TobyReichelt
Whilst I am doing OCR Computer Science the only real advice I can offer you is simply meet the objectives. Marking CS projects is an objective thing, and you just have to satisfy the criteria given by OCR in their specification as best you can. I'm currently on track to receive ~90%+ and this is what I'm doing.

In terms of your design phase, try to make as many useful prototypes on paper before making digital copies. Give them annotations, criticise them, and then communicate with your client and make sure that their opinion is considered before making decisions. Always always make your client sign beneath the design headers--it shows your communication.

In terms of your software development phase, just document your code succinctly. Don't document things that you needn't, such as how you intend to place a button in a Windows form, say. I'm currently using Unity in my computer science project and I'm only documenting the code--this is sufficient.

Your evaluation is what it is. It's not going to be easy to evaluate but the headers should elucidate some things for you. Try looking also at the exemplar projects.

Whilst we're on the subject--do you have any form of computer science OCR A level resources I could have? I'm currently in a position of dire straits and any resources floating around anyone may have will be of significant use to me.

All the best.

ik im not yr13 but any advice for AS computer science and what grade did u get ?
Hi, I am in Year 12 and I had no knowledge on Computer Science or Programming but know I am coding using python and pygame. For my A level project I thought of doing a revision game, e.g. simple game such as dodger( stuff falling and the user has to avoid them) or snake game(the snake eats and gets bigger) etc. And in the game after levels, scores or time ask maths and Computer Science related question(equation, encryption, key, numbers...) Is this a good project ? For AQA , I will be happy with B+. Obviously then it will mark the answers and give a score for the game, for the questions and combined
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 214508
Hi, I am in Year 12 and I had no knowledge on Computer Science or Programming but know I am coding using python and pygame. For my A level project I thought of doing a revision game, e.g. simple game such as dodger( stuff falling and the user has to avoid them) or snake game(the snake eats and gets bigger) etc. And in the game after levels, scores or time ask maths and Computer Science related question(equation, encryption, key, numbers...) Is this a good project ? For AQA , I will be happy with B+. Obviously then it will mark the answers and give a score for the game, for the questions and combined

Not really. Check the AQA CompSci spec, there's a section on development techniques and their groupings. Try to incorporate as many of the group A ones as possible. Having at least 2 of the main ones (Complex data model in database (eg several
interlinked tables), Hash tables, lists, stacks, queues, graphs,
trees or structures of equivalent standard, Files(s) organised for direct access, Complex scientific/mathematical/robotics/
control/business model, Complex user-defined use of objectorientated
programming (OOP) model, eg classes, inheritance, composition, polymorphism, interfaces, Complex client-server model).

If you're intending on doing CompSci for A2 I BEG THAT YOU START AND MOSTLY FINISH YOUR PROJECT DURING SUMMER. I was extremely stressed doing it with normal deadlines and have had to do countless all-nighters for it. My health and grades in other subjects suffered because I kept putting it off and just stressing. So please, try to complete it during summer. That way your teacher can give you feedback and you can just spend time tweaking it and seeing what other people did in their coursework.

The NEA is one of the best learning experiences you'll ever have for compsci, so don't worry if you get stuck - that's meant to happen! Just do it all in good time - unlike me :smile:
Thanks a lot I will think to do something more complex or just complicate the game
Original post by kidb_
Not really. Check the AQA CompSci spec, there's a section on development techniques and their groupings. Try to incorporate as many of the group A ones as possible. Having at least 2 of the main ones (Complex data model in database (eg several
interlinked tables), Hash tables, lists, stacks, queues, graphs,
trees or structures of equivalent standard, Files(s) organised for direct access, Complex scientific/mathematical/robotics/
control/business model, Complex user-defined use of objectorientated
programming (OOP) model, eg classes, inheritance, composition, polymorphism, interfaces, Complex client-server model).

If you're intending on doing CompSci for A2 I BEG THAT YOU START AND MOSTLY FINISH YOUR PROJECT DURING SUMMER. I was extremely stressed doing it with normal deadlines and have had to do countless all-nighters for it. My health and grades in other subjects suffered because I kept putting it off and just stressing. So please, try to complete it during summer. That way your teacher can give you feedback and you can just spend time tweaking it and seeing what other people did in their coursework.

The NEA is one of the best learning experiences you'll ever have for compsci, so don't worry if you get stuck - that's meant to happen! Just do it all in good time - unlike me :smile:

Are the teachers supposed to help us in any way? Is making a website with dynamic data a good idea? I have not made my project but I've practised making website, will that be helpful?
Reply 7
Hi all, I'd like to revive this thread because my classmates and I are getting very stressed out about this project. We've been given very little guidance by our teacher on how to go about doing the project. I'm doing the OCR Computer Science Project.

I'm trying to create a platform shooter game in Visual Basic but as it is, it just isn't happening. My design is currently only half finished, with only problem decomposition and development plans, no flow diagrams or any communication with client about prototype sketches. With development I've completely hit a brick wall and I just don't have the ability to program this game.

I see one of you is using Unity, and I was wondering if it'd be worth scrapping my current application and doing it in Unity? Also how should I document my code, because currently I have so much code documented which is either repeated or does very little?

I need an A in Computer Science and the way this project is going that isn't going to happen. I'm on 13,000 words across 60 pages and I've only covered about 25 marks from the course specification.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
If you are stuck on the game the best idea is modify/trim it down to a level that’s doable. My project is entirely different to yours but could you tell me a bit more in detail how ur game works? I don’t intend to copy it but I will approach it the way I’ve done mine to help a little.
Edit : Didn't expect it to post
Thinking of making a real time tactics game for my project, good idea?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JoelBigSmokeTea
ur mom lol

No u
Original post by geoKar
Hello all,

I am an A2 level student doing Computer science. I am being concerned about my a level project because I need to get an A* on it. For everyone who got A* on their A level computer science project, is it ok to ask you what did you do to get an A* and what do they really want to see in order to get it?

P.S I am doing OCR computer Science

The examiner is going to mark your work based on the specification. Read through it and make sure you have included everything they want.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/170844-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-computer-science-h446.pdf (Page 21 onwards).
Original post by JoelBigSmokeTea
Edit : Didn't expect it to post
Thinking of making a real time tactics game for my project, good idea?

Maybe. It depends. Your project needs to be like Goldilocks' porridge - Nothing too big or too small, nor too simple or too complex - It needs to be 'just right'. The mark scheme that will be used to grade your project is the most important thing, so worry about that first, then ask yourself what kind of project you could do which will actually make it easy for you to pick up all of those marks. If you think you can do it with that, then it's a good idea.

Think about how big it might be and how complex it will need to be in order to work. Most of all, think about how much time do you will personally need to make something work. Whatever you do, make sure you don't forget to tick all the proverbial "boxes" in the mark scheme. The documentation is a really big part of the marks (requirements, analysis, acceptance tests, design, etc.) so it's a good idea to think about all of that stuff before just jumping in to start writing code.
(edited 6 years ago)
How did it go? =)
Reply 14
Original post by username3093384
Thanks a lot I will think to do something more complex or just complicate the game

I know it's been a while but can you remember what you did to make your game more complex as I am thinking of making a similar game to yours.

Quick Reply

Latest