The Student Room Group

Chances of getting an offer?

Hi! I am an international student from India, I got 86% in my 10th Grade, and I am currently in 12th grade. I am interested in applying to course of BSc Computer Science, and particularly interested in University of Stirling. I have done a little bit of community work, have worked on some few personal projects that goes from making an website with api to using data science tools in python, i have also read some books about it. I also have participated in Robotics Summer Camp where i learned to program and build robots, and have worked on one personal project for the same. I am part of my school's IT Club, where I have participated in a lot events, and hosted a few as well. If it get decent or around the same % in my 12th grade same as 10th one. In which universities do I have chances of getting in? Is my application strong?
Original post by ripoff12
Hi! I am an international student from India, I got 86% in my 10th Grade, and I am currently in 12th grade. I am interested in applying to course of BSc Computer Science, and particularly interested in University of Stirling. I have done a little bit of community work, have worked on some few personal projects that goes from making an website with api to using data science tools in python, i have also read some books about it. I also have participated in Robotics Summer Camp where i learned to program and build robots, and have worked on one personal project for the same. I am part of my school's IT Club, where I have participated in a lot events, and hosted a few as well. If it get decent or around the same % in my 12th grade same as 10th one. In which universities do I have chances of getting in? Is my application strong?

Yes. To be honest they will likely care little about all those extra-curricular activities (even though they are very relevant) and make their offer decision primarily based upon your academics.

Have you looked-up what Stirling expect to see for your 12th grade percentage to meet their entry requirements? I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking for 80% or above, in which case 86% would be a strong application.
Reply 2
On their website, it's suprisingly mentioned 65% [ https://www.stir.ac.uk/international/international-students/country-specific-information/south-asia/ ], this makes wonder if they even accept generous amount of students from india for bachelors, is there any stats i can look upon for this? also if i get through the academics part and considering i make a strong personal statement, what will decide my admission?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Yes. To be honest they will likely care little about all those extra-curricular activities (even though they are very relevant) and make their offer decision primarily based upon your academics.

Have you looked-up what Stirling expect to see for your 12th grade percentage to meet their entry requirements? I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking for 80% or above, in which case 86% would be a strong application.

It is surpisingly 65%, I am wondering how many indian students do they accept for bachelors there, I mean if that is a generous amount. Also If my i get through the academics, and have a strong ps, what will stand between me and that admission offer?
If they get a lot of applications, they’ll score your personal statement closely.

However, if they are only asking for 65% in class XII, that would suggest it’s not oversubscribed and as above, they’ll chiefly be making an offer based on your academics.
On their website, it's suprisingly mentioned 65% [ https://www.stir.ac.uk/international/international-students/country-specific-information/south-asia/ ], this makes wonder if they even accept generous amount of students from india for bachelors, is there any stats i can look upon for this? also if i get through the academics part and considering i make a strong personal statement, what will decide my admission?

The Uni Guide (here) shows that 13% of BSc (Hons) Computer Science students at University of Strathclyde are international. I don't know any source which will break this down by country.
Reply 6
Computer Science / Computer Science and AI at Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/computer-science/ - Indian 12th = An average of 85% across four subjects with 85% in Mathematics.
Robotics Engineering / Electrical and Electronic Engineering / Computer Systems Engineering at Bath - Indian 12th = An average of 80% across four subjects with 85% in Mathematics and Physics / An average of 80% across 4 subjects with 85% in Mathematics and 80% in one other science or technology subject depending on course.

Personal Statement Advice from Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/case-studies/writing-your-best-personal-statement/
It is surpisingly 65%, I am wondering how many indian students do they accept for bachelors there, I mean if that is a generous amount. Also If my i get through the academics, and have a strong ps, what will stand between me and that admission offer?

Be wary of the percentages at Scottish universities. These are minimum percentages and often you need higher. This happens with UK students where the A level grades shown are MINIMUM and the required grades are often higher.
Here is an example at Edinburgh

Standard entry requirement
The standard entry requirement is:

SQA Highers: AAAB (achievement by end of S5 preferred). BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S6. (Revised 1 August 2023 to change entry requirement from AAAA.)
A Levels: AAA - ABB.
IB: 37 points with 666 at HL - 32 points with 555 at HL.
Minimum entry requirement
The minimum entry requirement for widening access applicants is:

SQA Highers: AABB by end of S6. BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S6.
A Levels: ABB.
IB: 32 points with 555 at HL.
This is your course at Stirling. The 65% is for 1st year entry. It is 75% for 2nd year entry which is where you would start in England

Direct Entry to 1st Year:

Year 12 Grade cumulative score of 65% and above from the following state boards:

CBSE
ISC/ICSE
Metro state boards (Delhi, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal)
Students from other state boards will require Year 12 Grade cumulative score of 75%.

Advanced Entry to 2nd Year:

Year 12 Grade cumulative score of 75% and above from the following state boards:

CBSE
ISC/ICSE
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
This is your course at Stirling. The 65% is for 1st year entry. It is 75% for 2nd year entry which is where you would start in England

Direct Entry to 1st Year:

Year 12 Grade cumulative score of 65% and above from the following state boards:

CBSE
ISC/ICSE
Students from other state boards will require Year 12 Grade cumulative score of 75%.

Advanced Entry to 2nd Year:

Year 12 Grade cumulative score of 75% and above from the following state boards:

CBSE
ISC/ICSE

Thanks for the info, i was wondering based upon my extra-curriculars and similar % in 12th grade like 10th, what will be the chances for my admission
Thanks for the info, i was wondering based upon my extra-curriculars and similar % in 12th grade like 10th, what will be the chances for my admission

Extra curriculars have very little impact on offers in UK universities. In the UK offers tend to be based on educational performance ie grades.

For the vast majority of universities if your grades meet the requirement you will get an offer. Offer rates are around 90% for most courses. Those that dont get offers have either not taken the necessary subjects or their predicted grades are way below what is required.

Your application is definitely strong. I hope you get into Stirling! What’s your social?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending