The Student Room Group

Computer science and maths at uni

Im interested in doing computer science and maths at uni but can't really find a ranking for the joint course. I was just wondering if there are any respectable unis for the course, so far Edinburgh seems the most reasonable (except oxbridge of course), but I'd like to be reasonable with my expectations.
Reply 1
Original post by olly1369
Im interested in doing computer science and maths at uni but can't really find a ranking for the joint course. I was just wondering if there are any respectable unis for the course, so far Edinburgh seems the most reasonable (except oxbridge of course), but I'd like to be reasonable with my expectations.

What grades are you predicted and do you do further maths A level?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
What grades are you predicted and do you do further maths A level?

A's and B's and no I don't do further maths unfortunately.
Reply 3
A's and B's and no I don't do further maths unfortunately.

Just to check - are you Scottish/ entitled to Scottish free education (for example an EU citizen?). I think a few universities such as St Andrews pretty much require Further Maths which at least lets you reduce your list to consider. Not my field but I heard Loughborough and Lancaster could be good options if you like campus style universities. I met a graduate of Herriot Watt who I think did maths but with lots of CS options and said it was a great course.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Just to check - are you Scottish/ entitled to Scottish free education (for example an EU citizen?). I think a few universities such as St Andrews pretty much require Further Maths which at least lets you reduce your list to consider. Not my field but I heard Loughborough and Lancaster could be good options if you like campus style universities. I met a graduate of Herriot Watt who I think did maths but with lots of CS options and said it was a great course.

I live in England so I won't be able to get it for free unfortunately. I saw Loughborough though and that looked like a good place to go. Not sure about Lancaster though, might have to look into that one👍🏻
Reply 5
I live in England so I won't be able to get it for free unfortunately. I saw Loughborough though and that looked like a good place to go. Not sure about Lancaster though, might have to look into that one👍🏻

Both campus universities in small towns - seem to have high student satisfaction.
Best:
Oxford
Imperial

Good:
Warwick
UCL
Edinburgh
St Andrews
Bristol

Honourable mention: Cambridge. They don't have a joint course as such, but they offer a Computer Science stream that is 50% Maths 50% CS in the first year and then 100% CS for 2nd and 3rd year. If you don't mind this sort of degree, then it would be above Oxford/Imperial.

Doing this course at exeter, so AMA I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ever feel like you wanted to do more maths apposed to comp-sci or vice versa? But it's not feasible sometimes, like you can't do a lot of the advanced maths modules that a normal maths student can do because you have to also do comp-sci modules, and the other way around of course. I'm considering transferring to a Math/Phys joint honours, I want to do a lot more maths than a Theoretical Physics degree but I don't want to miss out on any Physics, if you get what I mean.
Reply 9
Further thoughts (some of the highest rated universities may not work out because of lack of further maths) - Exeter, Birmingham. Would also see what students think of Strathclyde.

Any idea what sort of university you prefer? Location?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest how well integrated are the two parts of the course? I've heard really mixed experiences from people on courses combined between departments.
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you say that it is an interesting subject to study? What advice would you give to someone (like me) that is wanting to do it at uni?
Would you say that it is an interesting subject to study? What advice would you give to someone (like me) that is wanting to do it at uni?

Original post by ajj2000
Out of interest how well integrated are the two parts of the course? I've heard really mixed experiences from people on courses combined between departments.

Original post by Mikasadoge
Ever feel like you wanted to do more maths apposed to comp-sci or vice versa? But it's not feasible sometimes, like you can't do a lot of the advanced maths modules that a normal maths student can do because you have to also do comp-sci modules, and the other way around of course. I'm considering transferring to a Math/Phys joint honours, I want to do a lot more maths than a Theoretical Physics degree but I don't want to miss out on any Physics, if you get what I mean.

Some v good questions, I'll answer them tomorrow morn/afternoon..
Reply 13
Original post by ajj2000
Further thoughts (some of the highest rated universities may not work out because of lack of further maths) - Exeter, Birmingham. Would also see what students think of Strathclyde.

Any idea what sort of university you prefer? Location?

I dont really mind about the location. i havent been to enough to know what i prefer so i cant really say. Im thinking Edinburgh at the moment due to its high recognition and fairly reasonable entry requirements. i also had Sheffield in mind but after looking a bit today, ive been put off a little.

I would also say, as someone mentioned about Cambridge, that some of the unis have a very heavy math component inherent in their CS degrees. Edinburgh and Imperial spring to mind. Edinburgh also let you take a small number of modules from other schools as part of a CS degree, so you can do modules from the School of Mathematics. You don't necessarily have to do a CS + Mathematics degree.

One more for your list which is slightly left of field in that it isn't in the UK, but it Trinity College Dublin has a great CS degree that has a lot of mathematics built in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending