The Student Room Group

ASAP computer science a level

to do computing at uni do u have to do it at a level
people say u only need maths but is that rlly true
Original post by daddy1324

Yes. Have you not checked the entry requirements of computer science degrees?

They say Computer science at degree level is too different to computer science at A Level, universities don't really ask for it.

Having said that, I have noticed that a number of top end universities do recommend computer science at A Level as one of your A Levels, but they make maths a mandatory subject.

A better question to ask is: where do you intend on applying and for what specific degree? This would determine what you need at A Level more than anything.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi! Computer Science at A-Level isn't usually a required subject for CS at university but Maths is a common requirement. That being said, there are still lots of universities that don't require Maths to study Computer Science.

Don't let that discourage you from taking Computer Science at A-Level. If you can't take Maths, A-Level CS still shows your interest in the subject. It's also good to take to see you really want to study CS at university. I suggest checking universities you think you want to apply to to see their requirements if you can take Maths though.

Hope that helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Yes it's true that maths tends to be the only requirement (not all unis even require that). I have 3 offers for computer science without taking comp sci A level + 2 pending
Reply 4
Original post by juicygcse
Yes it's true that maths tends to be the only requirement (not all unis even require that). I have 3 offers for computer science without taking comp sci A level + 2 pending

Where did you apply and for what reasons?

Quick Reply

Latest