The Student Room Group

Teenage boy shot dead in broad daylight in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
In his manifesto he promised to tackle knife crime though.. all politicians get attacked (policy wise) daily, Sadiq is nothing special.

No, im talking about proportions vs responsibility. Theresa May has a lot more responsibility, especially considering this crime rise began before Sadiq came in as mayor. A mayor also cannot do much since its a largely strategic job. I always see attacks by right wing idiots about out muslims mayor and "sadiq khant" because these people dont understand politics.
Original post by wam bam bam
You say this like you know him personally?

And I lived in inner city London. So I know about the lifestyle. And most choose the gang life. Because it makes them look cool or whatever.

I don't know him personally but I know his music well and followed it for a while which is enough to be affected by this news. Not just another statistic in my book.
Original post by titanlou
No, im talking about proportions vs responsibility. Theresa May has a lot more responsibility, especially considering this crime rise began before Sadiq came in as mayor. A mayor also cannot do much since its a largely strategic job. I always see attacks by right wing idiots about out muslims mayor and "sadiq khant" because these people dont understand politics.

If crime rates go up in London, the first port of call for blame will go to the mayor of London. It would be exactly the same if we had a Conservative mayor.

But as mayor, Khan does assume the equivalent of police commissioner which means he oversees a lot of police activity and has a significant hand in how resources are distributed to the police force. Now instead he’d prefer knife bins without really tackling the rising crime rate in London in general ( acid attacks, rapes are some of the crimes on the rise).
I’m sure some on both sides of the spectrum care about his religious beliefs, and I am sure more on the right would be vocal about it because well Sadiq Khan is a Labour Politician but that shouldn’t detract from a large amount of criticism being given perhaps because Khan hasn’t overseen a great transformation of London since he entered office...
Original post by Andrew97
If crime rates go up in London, the first port of call for blame will go to the mayor of London. It would be exactly the same if we had a Conservative mayor.

Your wilful ignorance of the details is telling. The crime wave began before became office, after years of police cuts.

Yep, because Ken livingstone and Boris Johnson both received the same level of abuse when they were in power right?

Original post by CountBrandenburg
But as mayor, Khan does assume the equivalent of police commissioner which means he oversees a lot of police activity and has a significant hand in how resources are distributed to the police force. Now instead he’d prefer knife bins without really tackling the rising crime rate in London in general ( acid attacks, rapes are some of the crimes on the rise).
I’m sure some on both sides of the spectrum care about his religious beliefs, and I am sure more on the right would be vocal about it because well Sadiq Khan is a Labour Politician but that shouldn’t detract from a large amount of criticism being given perhaps because Khan hasn’t overseen a great transformation of London since he entered office...

Erm no. He's not the commissioner at all, he merely oversees it. When it comes to police funding for example, he's got little power. It's actually Theresa May's position as home secretary that led to heavy police cuts.

Sadiq Khan has been pushing for more stop and search for example.
Erm no. He's not the commissioner at all, he merely oversees it. When it comes to police funding for example, he's got little power. It's actually Theresa May's position as home secretary that led to heavy police cuts.

Sadiq Khan has been pushing for more stop and search for example.

Johnson definitely got levels of abuse, rightly so because he did have questionable policies during his tenure. Livingstone as far as I’m aware, has always been a controversial figure, and as such it wouldn’t surprise me if he received similar amounts of critic.

I know he’s not commissioner, I do say he oversees the department. Lest not forget that Khan effectively is the one who produces an annual budget for where funds are allocated. Yes it is a combination of how the home office is run along with the Greater London Authority, but I don’t believe it’s a question of money at this point, it’s the poor management of resources and seemingly dubious redirections of funds ( which does seem to be a problem in other local authorities)
Only recently has Khan been pushing for stop and search if I remember right, he was quite against it previously.
My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Original post by wam bam bam
So what. He still chose to be part of that lifestyle. He knew the consequences that came with following such a path. It's his own fault.

no one deserves to be killed in cold blood, and it is not nice for you to sit and judge him. that is a young life lost. put some respect to him.

Do better
Reply 47
Original post by lunak97
My thoughts are with his family and friends.

no one deserves to be killed in cold blood, and it is not nice for you to sit and judge him. that is a young life lost. put some respect to him.

Do better

No. I refuse to give any respect to those who involve themselves in gang culture.
Original post by Wōden
No. I refuse to give any respect to those who involve themselves in gang culture.

someone is dead, a young man lost. whether or not you know of his situation or whether he was actually involved in gang-related activity, he deserves respect as a human.

gangs may hurt our society but it is the negative behaviour from members of society that really damages our society.
Original post by lunak97
someone is dead, a young man lost. whether or not you know of his situation or whether he was actually involved in gang-related activity, he deserves respect as a human.

gangs may hurt our society but it is the negative behaviour from members of society that really damages our society.

It is true this guy deserves at least some respect, not all people who have died do.
Original post by Wōden

Does that make you feel powerful? GB was not even 18, and not like other gang members. He fell into it because of where he was brought up but focused in school and aspired to be an architect.

It's so easy to just throw around a lack of sympathy online towards situations you have 0 knowledge or experience of. It's just ignorant, cold and pathetic. There is a family mourning today, and a young life lost and all you can focus on is the fact he was involved in a gang. I get what you mean and yeah gangs aren't great for society but GB wasn't like the rest. He was a family man and had aspirations outside Brandon Estate.

RIP Rhyhiem 1999-2018
I wouldn't say it was all his fault, teenagers have been bought up differently in todays society and a majority get into gangs and it's hard to leave when you are already in. Regardless it was bad decision to make but there may have been a reason or something. Whatever you think towards his death, he still needs respect and sympathy, no-one deserves to die like that.
Some people are so stupid man. It's so easy to judge from the outside :facepalm:
RIP Rhyiem
Rhyiem's world
Glo in peace
Reply 53
Original post by LMsav
Does that make you feel powerful? GB was not even 18, and not like other gang members. He fell into it because of where he was brought up but focused in school and aspired to be an architect.

It's so easy to just throw around a lack of sympathy online towards situations you have 0 knowledge or experience of. It's just ignorant, cold and pathetic. There is a family mourning today, and a young life lost and all you can focus on is the fact he was involved in a gang. I get what you mean and yeah gangs aren't great for society but GB wasn't like the rest. He was a family man and had aspirations outside Brandon Estate.

RIP Rhyhiem 1999-2018

Oh come on. I hear the very same platitudes being said after almost every gang related killing. "He was a good boy. Didn't do nothing wrong. Just fell in with a bad crowd. Trying to turn his life around..." etc etc. I've heard it all so often it's increasingly difficult to take any of it seriously.
Original post by Wōden
Oh come on. I hear the very same platitudes being said after almost every gang related killing. "He was a good boy. Didn't do nothing wrong. Just fell in with a bad crowd. Trying to turn his life around..." etc etc. I've heard it all so often it's increasingly difficult to take any of it seriously.

Did you grow up in inner city London? I used to live on this guys block and I'm telling you it's so easy to fall into the wrong crowd. Imagine your friends all being influenced and trapping or being in gangs or whatever, you wouldnt want to lose them if you had been friends with them for a long time. Also, these blocks are full of gangs: there were probably about 3 just in my block and the one next to it. When people dont care whether you're part of a gang or not, and just want to kill you because of your postcode, wouldnt you want to be protected any way you can, even if it means hanging out with these gangsters.
Original post by Kremz10
The worst thing about this is that it's bound to get worse now that GB is gone as Moscow have to ride out for him. Summer 2018 is due to be a deadly one.

M17, Moscow, E17

Are these gangs?

Tell me more details about London gangs young urban London people
Original post by Wōden

You're entitled to your opinion, but I assure you the same things are not said every time. GB really was not involved, and every case is different. Regardless, a child has died, a mother and a 6 year old sister are devastated and you act as if his death is irrelevant because he's a former gang member. If you still can't show respect to him, show some respect to the family and loved ones who will, currently, feel as if their world is falling apart.

You don't have to respect the life choices of individuals while they were alive, but respect the fact that he's gone.

He was shot in the head and the shooters took photos which are circling around online (they are very graphic). Must be gut wrenching for his family to see that...
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
I wouldn't say it was all his fault, teenagers have been bought up differently in todays society and a majority get into gangs and it's hard to leave when you are already in. Regardless it was bad decision to make but there may have been a reason or something. Whatever you think towards his death, he still needs respect and sympathy, no-one deserves to die like that.

Gangs have been around for decades lol it's not new
Original post by Betelgeuse-
M17, Moscow, E17

Are these gangs?

Tell me more details about London gangs young urban London people

Brandon Estate (Moscow 17 gang) is SE17.

What else do you wanna know?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Gangs have been around for decades lol it's not new

But it has gotten worse over the years, the way young people are influenced to join gangs for street cred and rep, without thinking about the consequences

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending