The Student Room Group

CIE AS Level Geography

The Geography exam is tomorrow. Would love to hear from some previous Geography A Level students for advice?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ashleydko
The Geography exam is tomorrow (gulp!!) and I am soo nervous. Would love to hear from some previous Geography A Level students for advice or some people who are in the same boat as me.Good luck friends !!

Aha im doing the exam too tommorrow hopefully it will be alright, i just hope the atmosphere and weather questions arent too hard. Are you answering the rocks and weathering question in section B?
Reply 2
Im also sitting this exam tomorrow! What option do you think your going to do for section B? Nervous because its a revised spec! but hopefully not to different from the past papers
Reply 3
Original post by bellyyyy
Im also sitting this exam tomorrow! What option do you think your going to do for section B? Nervous because its a revised spec! but hopefully not to different from the past papers

Im going to be doing rocks and weathering in section B i hope the 15 marker is on slope stability or tectonics. Do you think the questions will be similar to the specimen paper?
Reply 4
Original post by RiRi_97
Im going to be doing rocks and weathering in section B i hope the 15 marker is on slope stability or tectonics. Do you think the questions will be similar to the specimen paper?

Ahh fair enough! thats my least confident topic..i really just cant get my head around slopes! I think i might do hydrology or atmosphere and weather..but i will see tomorrow i guess!
I hope so, the specimen paper seemed okay! are you feeling prepared? also are you doing component 11/12 or 13?? sorry for all the questions..its just no one ever seems to do CIE!
Reply 5
Ahh fair enough! thats my least confident topic..i really just cant get my head around slopes! I think i might do hydrology or atmosphere and weather..but i will see tomorrow i guess!
I hope so, the specimen paper seemed okay! are you feeling prepared? also are you doing component 11/12 or 13?? sorry for all the questions..its just no one ever seems to do CIE!

Yeahh ikr literally no one does CIE lol im doing component 11 and i feel kinda nervous but looking at the previous past papers none of the questions are weird there all pretty similar so i think it will be the same as the old syllabus but the only difference is physical and human are split into 2 papers. Luckily section A is data response so it can be easy marks dont worry im sure we will do good!!! :smile: :h: also do you know how much out of 60 is an A?
Reply 6
Just came back from the exam, component 11: first section literally the most insignificant topics came up. Im not sure how I did. Section B i did question 4 and Im very happy with it. Anyone else?
I also choose question 4 was rather my default option(probably because I only prepared for it)
The rest of the exam is kinda what u expect
from a geography paper( I never saw it coming logic) good luck on the next paper :smile:

Ps
Does anyone know what is A out of 60?
Reply 8
thanks you too! The grade boundaries will probably be around 40 something /60 for an A Im guessing
Reply 9
quick question; does anyone remember how you explained the reduced precipitation on the mountain range with increased distance from the sea?
I put due to orographic rainfall forming, less rain falls on the leeward side of the mountains which are further from the sea
Original post by ruth8723
I put due to orographic rainfall forming, less rain falls on the leeward side of the mountains which are further from the sea

Oh ok same! I always second guess the most simplest things lol thanks for answering
Ahh i felt like it was harder than i was expecting!! There was so much that could be asked but yet hardly antying came up, i found questions 1 and 2 hard because i wasnt really sure i understood the diagrams? and i really struggled to describe the pattern of precipitation in question 2! also i completly missed out a diagram for human slope modificaitions as i had no clue what to draw, what did you guys all draw?? ...so really not feeling very confident at all :frown:
Do you think the grade boundaries will be low?
Ahh i felt like it was harder than i was expecting!! There was so much that could be asked but yet hardly antying came up, i found questions 1 and 2 hard because i wasnt really sure i understood the diagrams? and i really struggled to describe the pattern of precipitation in question 2! also i completly missed out a diagram for human slope modificaitions as i had no clue what to draw, what did you guys all draw?? ...so really not feeling very confident at all :frown:
Do you think the grade boundaries will be low?

I AGREE WITH YOU 100% Actually all my class mates were confused with section A. Section B was really good thank goodness. BUT Section A like what a waste of a year. We had so much more in our syllabus. Lets hope human geography is better :smile:
Reply 14
What on earth was this exam, it's all the small things that I never really considered to have an entire question on? Hjulstrom curve for section A hydrology completely screwed me over. I couldn't read it. In section B I did question 4.
Original post by Yxh
What on earth was this exam, it's all the small things that I never really considered to have an entire question on? Hjulstrom curve for section A hydrology completely screwed me over. I couldn't read it. In section B I did question 4.

Yep completely get you! its like they just picked out words from the syllabus rather than topics..and i was counting on this paper because i find the advanced geog so hard!!

I couldnt answer the hjulstrum curve either tho so dont worry, hopefully the grade boundaries will be low
It seems like most people did q4, it seemed to be the nicest. Tho i really struggled to write much for how precipitation type/inensity affected the hydrograph..like there just wasnt that much to say..
Reply 16
wow that exam was basically all the irrelevant things you could possibly think of combined into a paper. That mass movement question was the worst in section B. And also for the slopes question in section A did we have to draw a diagram? and the hjulstrom curves y axis like what was that lol
Reply 17
I spoke about snow, heavy rainfall and light rainfall.

Yep completely get you! its like they just picked out words from the syllabus rather than topics..and i was counting on this paper because i find the advanced geog so hard!!

I couldnt answer the hjulstrum curve either tho so dont worry, hopefully the grade boundaries will be low
It seems like most people did q4, it seemed to be the nicest. Tho i really struggled to write much for how precipitation type/inensity affected the hydrograph..like there just wasnt that much to say..
Original post by Yxh
I spoke about snow, heavy rainfall and light rainfall.

Yep, thats what i did too, but i only seemed to be able to write like a paragraph on it but ohh well its done now i guess
yeah a lot of people found the questions quite random... good luck for the second paper... do any of you guys happen to remember the values you got for question 1a i and ii?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending