The Student Room Group
Original post by omcfs
hey guys, been struggling with new spanish gcse's, got any tips?

do what i do and dont revise for spanish
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous69gcse

do foundation and youll be fine
Original post by tyryer
do foundation and youll be fine

im foundation lets go boys
use apps like duolingo and busuu and memrise etc etc etc there are loads that are great for expanding your vocabulary
Reply 5
thanks yeah. I will cheek them out now
Original post by sparks01
use apps like duolingo and busuu and memrise etc etc etc there are loads that are great for expanding your vocabulary

same lol
Original post by omcfs

I got 98.5% in my mock and take 2 other languages both of which I got 9s and equivalent in and this is how I do it:
For the reading and the listening paper, I go onto the syllabus and learn the vocab on the syllabus by putting it into a quizlet. Then, I listen to Spanish music at least once a day (I recommend Matisse) and try to translate the lyrics. If I am finding it hard just from hearing it then I will google the lyrics. I also do old spec past papers because they are still pretty relevant. The most important thing for the reading and listening is to know the vocabulary on the spec and there is also a grammar checklist so just ensure that you know all of that so that you know how it can be applied. Also, maybe think about investing in an app just to continue to increase your vocabulary little by little until the exams. I suggest drops because it makes sure that you don't do too much in one go like me finishing duolingo in a week.
Next, writing. Knowing the vocabulary on the spec will help you with this along with knowing all of the grammar. If you are unsure about any of the grammar one of the good things about Spanish is the large amount of resources that exist so just google the part of the grammar that you are not sure about and complete a worksheet or something until you understand the grammar. My next piece of advice is to have a checklist of things that you want to include for all the writing tasks and wrote this checklist out before you start writing any answer. This will generally just be the grammar from the spec and writing out the top band of the mark scheme but I would also suggest making some golden phrases for each topic and subtopic listed on the syllabus. Things like si tuviera la oportunidad get you loads of marks so if you google the imperfect subjunctive, the imperfect and deade hace, the past perfect anything like that and learn some set phrases from a dictionary website or something and manage to get them into your exam, you will do really well. Maybe just try to come up with a few questions for yourself for each topic no subtopic and answer them aswell so that you have preprepared paragraphs if you need them. For example, I have a preprepared paragraph about my brother visiting a museum that I always try to fit in to my writings. You should really get your golden sentences and preprepared paragraphs checked by a native speaker if you can.
I'm sorry this was so much writing but the most important thing is to know the vocabulary and grammar on the spec really well. If you know this then there is nothing that they can ask you that you won't be able to answer.
Reply 8
Original post by K9s_scientist
I got 98.5% in my mock and take 2 other languages both of which I got 9s and equivalent in and this is how I do it:
For the reading and the listening paper, I go onto the syllabus and learn the vocab on the syllabus by putting it into a quizlet. Then, I listen to Spanish music at least once a day (I recommend Matisse) and try to translate the lyrics. If I am finding it hard just from hearing it then I will google the lyrics. I also do old spec past papers because they are still pretty relevant. The most important thing for the reading and listening is to know the vocabulary on the spec and there is also a grammar checklist so just ensure that you know all of that so that you know how it can be applied. Also, maybe think about investing in an app just to continue to increase your vocabulary little by little until the exams. I suggest drops because it makes sure that you don't do too much in one go like me finishing duolingo in a week.
Next, writing. Knowing the vocabulary on the spec will help you with this along with knowing all of the grammar. If you are unsure about any of the grammar one of the good things about Spanish is the large amount of resources that exist so just google the part of the grammar that you are not sure about and complete a worksheet or something until you understand the grammar. My next piece of advice is to have a checklist of things that you want to include for all the writing tasks and wrote this checklist out before you start writing any answer. This will generally just be the grammar from the spec and writing out the top band of the mark scheme but I would also suggest making some golden phrases for each topic and subtopic listed on the syllabus. Things like si tuviera la oportunidad get you loads of marks so if you google the imperfect subjunctive, the imperfect and deade hace, the past perfect anything like that and learn some set phrases from a dictionary website or something and manage to get them into your exam, you will do really well. Maybe just try to come up with a few questions for yourself for each topic no subtopic and answer them aswell so that you have preprepared paragraphs if you need them. For example, I have a preprepared paragraph about my brother visiting a museum that I always try to fit in to my writings. You should really get your golden sentences and preprepared paragraphs checked by a native speaker if you can.
I'm sorry this was so much writing but the most important thing is to know the vocabulary and grammar on the spec really well. If you know this then there is nothing that they can ask you that you won't be able to answer.
wow this is sooo useful thank you so much. the idea about music and prepared paragraphs is very clever. I will defo be using all these techniques
Reply 9
I got 98.5% in my mock &take 2 other lingos both which I got 9s &equivalent in &dis how I do it: D most importnt fing 4da readin &lisnin is 2no d vocab on d spec & ders also a grama checklist so jus ensure dat u no alla dat so dat u no how it can be applied.

Can you send this grammar checklist please?
Reply 10
who cares about spanish
Original post by nk02
Can you send this grammar checklist please?

If it has an R next to it you only need to be able to recognise it in the listening and reading. Anything else could come up in the translation or as something that they expect in the writing/ speaking.
3.3.1 FoundationTier
3.3.1.1 Nouns
3.3.1.2 Articles
de nite and inde nite lo plus adjective (R)
3.3.1.3 Adjectives
agreement
position
comparative and superlative: regular and mayor, menor, mejor, peor demonstrative (este, ese, aquel)
inde nite (cada, otro, todo, mismo, alguno)
possessive, short form (mi)
possessive, long form (mío) (R)
interrogative (cuánto, qué)
3.3.1.4 Adverbs
formation
comparative and superlative: regular interrogative (cómo, cuándo, dónde)
adverbs of time and place (aquí, allí, ahora, ya) common adverbial phrases
3.3.1.5 Quanti ers/intensi ers
(muy, bastante, demasiado, poco, mucho)
3.3.1.6 Pronouns
subject
object (R)
position and order of object pronouns (R)
re exive
relative: que
relative: quien, lo que (R)
disjunctive (conmigo, para mí)
demonstrative (éste, ése, aquél, esto, eso, aquello) inde nite (algo, alguien)
interrogative (cuál, qué, quién)
3.3.1.7 Verbs
regular and irregular verbs, including re exive verbs all persons of the verb, singular and plural
modes of address: tú and usted
radical-changing verbs
negative forms
interrogative forms
re exive constructions (se puede, se necesita, se habla) uses of ser and estar
Tenses:
present indicative
present continuous
preterite
imperfect: in weather expressions with estar, hacer
imperfect (R)
immediate future
future (R)
perfect: most common verbs only
conditional: gustar only in set phrases
pluperfect (R)
gerund (R)
imperative: common forms including negative
subjunctive, present (R) in certain exclamatory phrases (¡Viva! ¡Dígame!)
subjunctive, imperfect: quisiera
impersonal verbs: most common only.
3.3.1.8 Prepositions
common, including personal a por and para
3.3.1.9 Conjunctions
common, including y, pero, o, porque, como, cuando 3.3.1.10 Number, quantity, dates
3.3.1.11 Time
Use of desde hace with present tense (R) 3.3.2 HigherTier
Students entering for Higher Tier assessments will be required to apply all grammar and structures listed for Foundation Tier, in addition to the new grammar and structures listed for Higher Tier.
3.3.2.1 Articles
lo plus adjective 3.3.2.2 Adjectives
comparative and superlative
possessive, short and long forms (mi, mío) relative (cuyo)
3.3.2.3 Adverbs
comparative and superlative
3.3.2.4 Pronouns
object
position and order of object pronouns
relative: all other uses including quien, lo que, el que, cual possessive (el mío, la mía)
3.3.2.5 Verbs
Tenses:
future
imperfect
imperfect continuous
perfect
This is all from the specification which also has all the vocabulary you need. It is worth looking at the who specification before the exam just to make sure that you have everything.
You can see the spec here http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/spanish/specifications/AQA-8698-SP-2016.PDF
Hope this helps!
Reply 12
If it has an R next to it you only need to be able to recognise it in the listening and reading. Anything else could come up in the translation or as something that they expect in the writing/ speaking.
This is all from the specification which also has all the vocabulary you need. It is worth looking at the who specification before the exam just to make sure that you have everything.
You can see the spec here http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/spanish/specifications/AQA-8698-SP-2016.PDF
Hope this helps!

Thanks
Reply 13

How did you learn verbs with prepositions as in:
consistir en, acabar de, ayudar a etc.
Original post by nk02
How did you learn verbs with prepositions as in:
consistir en, acabar de, ayudar a etc.

Unfortunately I don't have as cool an answer to this. I just learn it as a whole phrase instead of as just the verb. There is probably a reason why it is acabar de and consistir en and it might be easier to learn the whole grammatical reason why but I am not aware of it so I just know that that is what it is.
In regards to ayudar a and any situations ending in a it is because in Spanish if you are doing something to a person or an animal then you have to have a if that makes sense.
For example: ayudo a mis padres. Visitó a sus abuelos. Comí a mi hermano. Abracé a mi perro
So it is not a specific verb thing more a grammar rule so my advice for the prepositions is for the most part you will probably just have to learn the whole phrase but it is still worth googling "why is it consistir en and not just consistir" just in case it's a grammar rule. Also, a mistake with a preposition is classed as a minor mistake even on the A Level mark scheme for writing so it shouldn't effect your grade that much if at all if you make that mistake as you are allowed minor errors as long as it doesn't subtract from the quality of the writting. Don't fret if you forget something like that it is more important to use complex vocabulary and know lots of tenses.
Also I really like the K9 image. 😊
Original post by omcfs

Do this memrise course, I went from fail to grade 8 because of it.

https://www.memrise.com/course/193647/aqa-gcse-spanish-vocabulary/
Reply 16
thanks x

Original post by omcfs

I used quizlet for vocabulary. It’s an amazing resource, use it and you will pass.
Is the only vocab that can come up in the exam from the specification only?
I would assume so. When I did GCSE Spanish, what came up in the exam was really similar to the past papers we did. Nothing will come up that you haven’t been taught.

Latest