The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lewis.h
In my exam on Macbeth the question was about how Shakespeare presents Macbeth and Banquo's views on the supernatural. I mentioned level 8/9 points about Macbeth, but I completely forgot to mention Banquo. Am I therefore limited to a level 5?

I hope you wrote a ****ing good essay on Macbeth only ( :frown: )

And one on whatever novel!!
Reply 2
Original post by Elwood21
Original post by lewis.h
In my exam on Macbeth the question was about how Shakespeare presents Macbeth and Banquo's views on the supernatural. I mentioned level 8/9 points about Macbeth, but I completely forgot to mention Banquo. Am I therefore limited to a level 5?

Nah dont worry im sure you did fine bud :smile:
Original post by lewis.h
In my exam on Macbeth the question was about how Shakespeare presents Macbeth and Banquo's views on the supernatural. I mentioned level 8/9 points about Macbeth, but I completely forgot to mention Banquo. Am I therefore limited to a level 5 ?

thats exactly what i did! but i mentioned about 2-3 points on Banquo did anyone do Jekyll and Hyde?
For a practise essay last week I had the same question (just without banquo) and the same extract. Bruh I’m too lucky
Reply 5
Original post by SaveraA7890
thats exactly what i did! but i mentioned about 2-3 points on Banquo did anyone do Jekyll and Hyde?

ya what did you think of the question?

I talked about themes of the gothic ( fin de siecle and all that), exposition and some CK about darwinism, duality
ya what did you think of the question?

I talked about themes of the gothic ( fin de siecle and all that), exposition and some CK about darwinism, duality

yeah i thought the questions was decent. i mentioned Faust and gothic and context about Stevenson but who knows?
but i knew so many quotes before but when i got in my mind blanked on me and i stared at the paper for time
Reply 8
but i knew so many quotes before but when i got in my mind blanked on me and i stared at the paper for time

what grade you aiming for?
what grade you aiming for?

8/9. you?
8/9. you?

9 apparently, i got highest in my school for mocks so all my teachers have huge expectations of me now lol XD
9 apparently, i got highest in my school for mocks so all my teachers have huge expectations of me now lol XD

wow congrats! you better smash it then! btw what quotes did u use?
Original post by lewis.h
In my exam on Macbeth the question was about how Shakespeare presents Macbeth and Banquo's views on the supernatural. I mentioned level 8/9 points about Macbeth, but I completely forgot to mention Banquo. Am I therefore limited to a level 5 ?

Did you forget to in the extract too?
Reply 13
I embedded quotes in the extract, but I didn't blatantly state that Banquo said them. But apparently AQA markers mark you for what you HAVE done, not for what you haven't

I did Jekyll and Hyde, how did u find it?
How do you know it is a grade 8/9 answer? What did you put?
Original post by lewis.h
I embedded quotes in the extract, but I didn't blatantly state that Banquo said them. But apparently AQA markers mark you for what you HAVE done, not for what you haven't

You won't be limited to a 5 but you still won't get top grades no matter how good the rest of it is. You will probably be limited to a 7 or so on this paper which isn't bad but if you are aiming for the top grades then you might be disappointed. On the other hand, you have your novel and the other paper to pull your grade up.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Goldfish4343
How do you know it is a grade 8/9 answer? What did you put?

Basically, I did an essay two days ago and my teacher said it was an 8 with some level 9 points in there, as I mentioned about the iambic tetrameter symbolising the inversion of the Holy trinity etc, and about Macbeth's nihilism, and then some other stuff, and I mentioned form and structure with Malcolm being the last one on stage and what that represents etc.
Just no blatant analysis of Banquo- though I believe I did embed some of his quotes.

I worked out though that if I get 15/34, I may have a decent chance of getting a 7 if I get >25 marks on section B.
Reply 18
Would this be okay for the Macbeth question-

*The ill and good quote from the text* directly exposes Macbeths hamartia of deciding good from bad? I later mentioned about how he subsequently chose the evil side.
I wrote that “at the beginning of the play, Macbeth treats the witches with dominance as he is demanding with them and shows courage in front of them, but at the near end we see his inferiority towards the witches which may suggest that the witches replaced god in the chain of being as it is the only step above the king. This is visible because he treats them with more respect and decides to go to them rather than the witches coming to him”. Was this a good level 8/9 interpretation?

Latest