The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Geography - B J384 - 22 May, 05 Jun, 11 Jun 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Is anybody else’s school struggling to finish the Geography course in time before exams? We only have about 10 lessons left and we still have most of Dynamic Development and Resource Reliance to cover? I just don’t think we’re going to get it done in time or if we do we won’t go into any detail about the case studies or anything.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have the same exam board for Geography, we just finished all the topics last week, we're going to be doing work on the Decision Making Exam next week and our teacher is in the process of making revision booklets for us on all of the topics. For case studies I just condensed them all down to a couple of A4 sheets and stapled them together and it's seemingly very helpful. I also use BBC Bitesize (the new site) site to revise for Geography, there's lots of great stuff on there. Do you mind me asking what you got for your last mock? I got an 8 on the two papers that we did and I used the stated methods to revise.
Reply 2
I think I’m definitely going to try those methods out thanks! And I just scraped a 6 as I messed up my timings and panicked meaning I answered a lot of the 8 markers wrong. Also do you have a rough idea as to what your grade boundaries were for your last mock? As nobody in my year got higher than a 7 which i think was around 77%.
Reply 3
Original post by _Hannah__
I think I’m definitely going to try those methods out thanks! And I just scraped a 6 as I messed up my timings and panicked meaning I answered a lot of the 8 markers wrong. Also do you have a rough idea as to what your grade boundaries were for your last mock? As nobody in my year got higher than a 7 which i think was around 77%.

I don’t completely remember the grade boundaries but I think it was 82% for an 8. I got 9 in paper 1, it was exactly 90%, and I got 85% in paper 2, so my overall grade was 8

I'm exactly the same! I struggle so much with timing the first 2 (1hr 15min) papers, and I feel like my teacher has told us to write more than necessary for some of the 6/8 markers; I recently saw that OCR had released a few sample answers for each level, and what was being viewed as a Level 3 response only had about 1/3 to 1/2 of what our teacher usually expects us to write for those questions.

Anyone able to run me through how much is expected for 6 and 8-mark questions? Would really appreciate it :h:
Reply 5
Original post by giothevanna11
I'm exactly the same! I struggle so much with timing the first 2 (1hr 15min) papers, and I feel like my teacher has told us to write more than necessary for some of the 6/8 markers; I recently saw that OCR had released a few sample answers for each level, and what was being viewed as a Level 3 response only had about 1/3 to 1/2 of what our teacher usually expects us to write for those questions.

Anyone able to run me through how much is expected for 6 and 8-mark questions? Would really appreciate it :h:

Could you be more specific on how much you are told to write? For 6 markers do three paragraphs including facts and figures if there’s space otherwise try to use all the space available for the Q and for 8 markers I put down everything I know about the question, and return to it when I’ve finished the paper to add in anything I’m missing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Aseeb Tariq
Could you be more specific on how much you are told to write? For 6 markers do three paragraphs including facts and figures if there’s space otherwise try to use all the space available for the Q and for 8 markers I put down everything I know about the question, and return to it when I’ve finished the paper to add in anything I’m missing.

Yeah we've been told to write three very detailed paragraphs for 6 markers, but looking at some of the exemplar answers, people have achieved Level 3 responses essentially writing the same amount as just over one of our paragraphs (an example is at http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/467026-candidate-style-answers.pdf - page 8). For 8 markers, we usually have to do 2 slightly longer paragraphs and a conclusion.
Good luck today guys! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Evil Homer
Good luck today guys! :biggrin:

I have ocr b as my exam board and it was easy!
What was the river basin question. I didn't read it properly think I answered it wrong. Was it about Geology or just general management?
Original post by Sarcher212
What was the river basin question. I didn't read it properly think I answered it wrong. Was it about Geology or just general management?

Oh I wrote about Thames Basin, which was my case study and I talked about how meanders formed.
Is anybody else’s school struggling to finish the Geography course in time before exams? We only have about 10 lessons left and we still have most of Dynamic Development and Resource Reliance to cover? I just don’t think we’re going to get it done in time or if we do we won’t go into any detail about the case studies or anything.

yes
How is everyone feeling about paper 2 tomorrow? Has anyone got any predictions? (NB: I know it's important to revise everything, but are there topics that are likely to come up?)
Hey guys, how did the exam go? :biggrin:
Please tell me I wasn't the only one utterly confused on their suburbanisation question? The definition is people migrating to the suburbs, yet the closest of the 4 options was "urban areas getting larger"
Reply 15
Original post by GenericUsernameQ
Please tell me I wasn't the only one utterly confused on their suburbanisation question? The definition is people migrating to the suburbs, yet the closest of the 4 options was "urban areas getting larger"

Yeah I got that as well
Can anyone remember the exact wording of the final 8 mark question about traffic in Norwich? There was a word after ‘traffic’ which I was slightly unsure about.
Reply 17
Original post by Iricescent
Can anyone remember the exact wording of the final 8 mark question about traffic in Norwich? There was a word after ‘traffic’ which I was slightly unsure about.

Fairly sure it was something along the lines of "transport provision"
Reply 18
How did everyone find paper 3? Luckily as a class we had studied Rio as a case study for urban futures which definitely helped with parts of the 12 markers!
Original post by GenericUsernameQ

Sorry but that’s wrong I thinks

it was the last one proportion” I think hard 2 remember

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending