The Student Room Group

Chances at Cambridge/UCL?

Hey guys,

In my GCSE’s I got AAAAAAAA went to an
inexperienced and poor school and my results were top 8 (somehow lmao)

At A2 I’m predicted A*A*A and have an A in EPQ.
Do you guys think I stand a decent chance at getting into Cambridge or UCL/LSE for Law? Also do you think I should re-do my EPQ next year and push it up to an A* or does it not make a difference?

I’m not being cocky, I just what a realistic opinion on what others think.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by InnocentJackski
0% .
Only if u are from Asia u may get a chance, otherwise dont think about it

Why?
Yes go for it.
Reply 3
Original post by ultimateradman
Yes go for it.

Have you heard of anyone who’s got in with similar grades?
Yeah, course you have a chance. Nobody can quantify your chance, as we don't know how well you'll come across in an interview (for Cambridge), or how much wider reading/academic exploration you've done for your personal statement.

You might as well apply, but if you have Cambridge, UCL and LSE as 3 of your 5 choices, make sure the other 2 are safer options, as nobody can guarantee getting an offer from the first three, no matter how good your grades are.
0% .
Only if u are from Asia u may get a chance, otherwise dont think about it

Ignore this person.
Original post by anon56431
Have you heard of anyone who’s got in with similar grades?

No,but they take in contextual factors(going to a bad school) and good A2 predictions into account. And your GCSEs aren't the worst.
This post can be nothing more than an ego boost... If you think you haven't got good enough grades to get into Cambridge then please do explain to me who has? And no, the A to an A* in an EPQ is certainly not going to get you (or stop from getting) into Cambridge. This will come down to whether they like you and think you're a good fit for the uni and course. Apply.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Ignore this person.

Its true. When you look at most university students they are usually from China, Japan and India. Not to be offensive or racist. If we look at the biggest stock holders they come from the the middle east. Prince Salman from Saudi Arabia, has cash blowing all around him. I know u guys going to say this isnt about money, but the reason for education is to earn money. Even if you end up at cambridge, your chances of getting the job u want are very low, the world today is so competitive
QUOTE=InnocentJackski;77957658]Its true. When you look at most university students they are usually from China, Japan and India. Not to be offensive or racist. If we look at the biggest stock holders they come from the the middle east. Prince Salman from Saudi Arabia, has cash blowing all around him. I know u guys going to say this isnt about money, but the reason for education is to earn money. Even if you end up at cambridge, your chances of getting the job u want are very low, the world today is so competitive

Sorry, do you mean that HUGE 13% as quoted from the Cambridge website? Get back in ya bitter box. And yeah, must be terrible for Oxbridge grads, christ there's so many of them begging on the streets, just have to keep em away at every corner -.-[

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Dobby's Phoenix
Sorry, do you mean that HUGE 13% as quoted from the Cambridge website? Get back in ya bitter box.

??? what u on about. Definetly relevant to the topic
??? what u on about. Definetly relevant to the topic

100% relevant to this topic.
100% relevant to this topic.

Maybe if we took ur irrelvancy and multiplied it by my relevancy then you would maybe ended up as a trending topic. BTW i wasnt even talking to you, so go back to ur little cage.
i'm sure your shining maths skills above will be deemed utterly essential though, don't you worry sir!
Maybe if we took ur irrelvancy and multiplied it by my relevancy then you would maybe ended up as a trending topic. BTW i wasnt even talking to you, so go back to ur little cage.

I think I'll allow the fellow readers to judge what's 'relevant' in this scenario... I'm sure your shining maths skills above will be deemed utterly essential though, don't you worry sir!
i'm sure your shining maths skills above will be deemed utterly essential though, don't you worry sir!

I think I'll allow the fellow readers to judge what's 'relevant' in this scenario... I'm sure your shining maths skills above will be deemed utterly essential though, don't you worry sir!

Call me sir. I definelty dont mind. I did get an A in maths so what can i say. People always say its a turn on.
Original post by anon56431
Why?

don't go because you can't even comprehend sarcasm, lol.
what do you want to study?
Its true. When you look at most university students they are usually from China, Japan and India. Not to be offensive or racist. If we look at the biggest stock holders they come from the the middle east. Prince Salman from Saudi Arabia, has cash blowing all around him. I know u guys going to say this isnt about money, but the reason for education is to earn money. Even if you end up at cambridge, your chances of getting the job u want are very low, the world today is so competitive

You are aware that these unis consist mostly of European people and race is a non-factor in admissions anyway? Maybe if you cared to look at the admissions statistics instead of making snarky comments you'd realise this.
QUOTE=InnocentJackski;77957658]Its true. When you look at most university students they are usually from China, Japan and India. Not to be offensive or racist. If we look at the biggest stock holders they come from the the middle east. Prince Salman from Saudi Arabia, has cash blowing all around him. I know u guys going to say this isnt about money, but the reason for education is to earn money. Even if you end up at cambridge, your chances of getting the job u want are very low, the world today is so competitive

Sorry, do you mean that HUGE 13% as quoted from the Cambridge website? Get back in ya bitter box. And yeah, must be terrible for Oxbridge grads, christ there's so many of them begging on the streets, just have to keep em away at every corner -.-[

LOL, the guy is clueless. (Not you)
Original post by random_matt

LOL, the guy is clueless. (Not you)

Omg finnaly some one understand me. My g. Give me a touch.

Quick Reply

Latest