The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K8e.H
I live in Scotland and they don’t really seem to care here!! I did my week in a hospital and research lab experience when I was 15, and I still got to go into theatre and everything! I think it’s probably because half of us go to uni at 17, so they need to be less strict about the age policy.
And honestly I probably won’t have space to talk about half of the stuff I’ve done, or I’ll end up trying to cram it all in!
Lot’s of uni’s are saying that they value voluntary work over work experience now, so what you’ve done is definitely worthwhile. The dance leader shows commitment, and the Mencap thing is great for communication :smile:
Do you do any extracurriculars? Quite often the skills you develop can be directly related to medicine.

I’m doing my highers atm (biology tomorrow!) so I haven’t even looked at admissions tests yet! My lats exam is the 21st of May so after that I’m starting UKCAT. I have the 1250 questions book so I think I’ll just use that and medify, and the free resources.
I’m going down to Cambridge with a friend from monday to friday the week of the open days. I’m so excited because I’ve never been! I’m a little unsure at the moment if I’m even going to apply, mainly because of the BMAT. Then it’s so much money and so far away from home! But I’m sure when I see it I’ll definitely want to apply!! :smile:

Ah fair enough. In England they are fairly strict with the age stuff. I went to Cambridge for a Masterclass and it is such a nice place, it'll definitely make you want to apply. In terms of extra curricular, I do a lot of dance (just recreational though nothing like graded stuff), I've been on the athletics team since Yr 7 and I am also house captain. I'm sure they link to Medicine one way or another but I just need to work on the phrasing of it!
Reply 61
Original post by Samanthaplague
Ah fair enough. In England they are fairly strict with the age stuff. I went to Cambridge for a Masterclass and it is such a nice place, it'll definitely make you want to apply. In terms of extra curricular, I do a lot of dance (just recreational though nothing like graded stuff), I've been on the athletics team since Yr 7 and I am also house captain. I'm sure they link to Medicine one way or another but I just need to work on the phrasing of it!

Please don't let my work experience or anything put you off! It's normal for Scottish applicants to have a lot of work experience, mainly because of the low age limit and, where I live atleast, a very well organised work placement programme. You have great volunteering, and a couple of days of quality work experience is much better than a month of shadowing you can't reflect on. My friend got an offer from Cambridge this year with a few days in a hospital and only a morning in a GP. She mainly focused on her 2 years of voluntary work. So don't worry, you have great work experience and extracurriculars!! (Remember cambridge care more about the academic stuff like masterclasses than anything else!)
Reply 62
Hi there,

I am currently in Grade 11, well almost done actually....and I am a Cambridge/Oxford medicine aspirant too...
I am studying in Canada, and I am doing the full IB curriculum.
Does anyone have any inputs on how an IB student is assessed in these unversities?
Does the IB score have any value at all or do they solely rely on the BMAT performance and the subsequent interviews?

Cheers !!

I am also appearing for the UKCAT exam this August.
Original post by SSRaj
Hi there,

I am currently in Grade 11, well almost done actually....and I am a Cambridge/Oxford medicine aspirant too...
I am studying in Canada, and I am doing the full IB curriculum.
Does anyone have any inputs on how an IB student is assessed in these unversities?
Does the IB score have any value at all or do they solely rely on the BMAT performance and the subsequent interviews?

Cheers !!

I am also appearing for the UKCAT exam this August.

hello from england!

A Level and IB are looked at equally (A Level being the UK equivalent of your IB). i think you need 776 in your higher level subjects. an IB student is assessed like any other student and they look at your academic record, BMAT, personal statement and interview when considering applicants. so yes, IB score has a HUGE value, and do look on their website for full IB requirements.

hope that helps and best of luck in your application!
Reply 64
NEW BLOG POST! Please check it out if you're interested in studying medicine, I review and recommend science based books.

https://widestreader.wordpress.com/2018/06/21/the-brain-the-story-of-you/
Is it better to apply to Cambridge medicine with 2A*'s in both Biology and Chemistry, with an A in maths or with 3A*'s in Biology, Chemistry and Economics? @Doonesbury @vincrows @Helenia
Reply 66
Original post by googlyeyed400
Is it better to apply to Cambridge medicine with 2A*'s in both Biology and Chemistry, with an A in maths or with 3A*'s in Biology, Chemistry and Economics? @Doonesbury @vincrows @Helenia

Nearly all successful Cambridge medic applicants have 3 sciences. So the former is better than the latter. However other medschools may view such an application differently. Don't just consider what's best for Cambridge, consider what's best for you to become a medic.
(edited 5 years ago)
Heya guys,

Current Second year medical student at Cambridge. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have openly on the forum or via pm if you have anything personal you'd like to ask. I'm not an official rep for Cambridge but I do represent a current students perspective and any opinions given are mine and mine only.

Hope everyone isn't too stressed about exam results and I wish you all the best of luck!!

Elliott
Hi, in the UKCAT official mocks, the calculator M- function doesn't work, it works in medify though.
Can anyone confirm if it works in the actual ukcat exam?

Thanks
I never even knew there was a memory option on the calculators, that would've saved me a lot of panicking during practice...
Hey guys I’ve made a poll for the UKCAT scores for 2019 entry:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content
Feel free to visit and vote on it. Also remember to post your scores!!
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Heya guys,

Current Second year medical student at Cambridge. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have openly on the forum or via pm if you have anything personal you'd like to ask. I'm not an official rep for Cambridge but I do represent a current students perspective and any opinions given are mine and mine only.

Hope everyone isn't too stressed about exam results and I wish you all the best of luck!!

Elliott

Hi! I'm just wondering which college you're in? And do you recommend it?
Reply 72
Hey guys I’ve made a poll for the UKCAT scores for 2019 entry:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content
Feel free to visit and vote on it. Also remember to post your scores!!

It's BMAT for Cambridge....

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much work experience/ voluntary work have people done?

Hi!
Work Experience:
- 5 days at a Mental Health Hospital on the adult wards
- 2 days in a more urban GP surgery
- 4.5 days a hospital in Trauma and Orthopaedics (but saw a variety of clinics)
- 3.5 days at a very rural GP surgery and community hospital

Volunteering:
- In my old primary school's Yr 3 class for 4 days
- At my city's Chinese School helping out in the younger classes
- Volunteering at a special needs school as a Music Therapy buddy
- I've done q a bit of voluntary tutoring for younger pupils at my school (it's nursery up to 6th form so there's a lot of opportunity for that!)

I've done a lot of volunteering with Children (I really enjoy working with children! Thinking possibly paeds later on but that's a long way to go :h:) but do you think it's worth getting some experience with older members of the population?
Original post by Doonesbury
It's BMAT for Cambridge....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know but they’ll be people who do the UKCAT too
Original post by bobollybee
Hi!
Work Experience:
- 5 days at a Mental Health Hospital on the adult wards
- 2 days in a more urban GP surgery
- 4.5 days a hospital in Trauma and Orthopaedics (but saw a variety of clinics)
- 3.5 days at a very rural GP surgery and community hospital

Volunteering:
- In my old primary school's Yr 3 class for 4 days
- At my city's Chinese School helping out in the younger classes
- Volunteering at a special needs school as a Music Therapy buddy
- I've done q a bit of voluntary tutoring for younger pupils at my school (it's nursery up to 6th form so there's a lot of opportunity for that!)

I've done a lot of volunteering with Children (I really enjoy working with children! Thinking possibly paeds later on but that's a long way to go :h:) but do you think it's worth getting some experience with older members of the population?

The volunteering you've done will go a long way, if you've done any long term commitments to volunteering (i.e. if you've done one of those things for at least a year), even better. Make sure to highlight what you've gained/ learned from this on your PS.

I got some volunteering in at both ends of the age spectrum and I got offers, so it can't be a bad thing to do! This will be good to show your options are still open and you're not set on paeds etc. (even though you may be contemplating it).

Hope this helps and good luck!!
Hi
I am hoping to apply to Cambridge medicine and I was wondering if anyone knew whether doing 4 A Levels would make my application better.
Original post by Thefazbaz
Hi
I am hoping to apply to Cambridge medicine and I was wondering if anyone knew whether doing 4 A Levels would make my application better.

nah
Original post by K8e.H
Hi there!
I’m a Scottish student in S5. I am doing five Highers: biology, chemistry, physics, english and maths (the majority of scot medicine applicants do the same). I am applying to Cambridge over Oxford because I’ve been told that oxford are very prejudiced against Scottish students, and I don’t want this to affect my chances.
I am getting rly stressed out now - I can’t believe that we will be applying this year!
I have ordered a couple of books from the library and am subscribed to the sBMJ - I will let you know if I find any good books! :smile: I know Cambridge don’t put much weight on the PS, but what work experience/volunteering/EC’s do you do? I have been putting a lot more work into this than I put into wider reading :smile:

How many A1s did u get? I only got . But i was 1 mark off in 2 subjects and 3 marks off in another subject. Apparently all As arent enough.
Original post by K8e.H
Hi there!
I’m a Scottish student in S5. I am doing five Highers: biology, chemistry, physics, english and maths (the majority of scot medicine applicants do the same). I am applying to Cambridge over Oxford because I’ve been told that oxford are very prejudiced against Scottish students, and I don’t want this to affect my chances.
I am getting rly stressed out now - I can’t believe that we will be applying this year!
I have ordered a couple of books from the library and am subscribed to the sBMJ - I will let you know if I find any good books! :smile: I know Cambridge don’t put much weight on the PS, but what work experience/volunteering/EC’s do you do? I have been putting a lot more work into this than I put into wider rea

Original post by MagicalMedic
2018 post-interview reject here to answer some questions you guys might have. Not that I'll be that useful anyway :lol:

How many A1s at higher should i have? I only have 2 but was 1 mark off in 2 subjects.

Latest

Trending

Trending