The Student Room Group

Ocr Physics B Paper 2 June 8th 2018

How did everyone find it? I found it much better than Monday's paper but that last 6 marker was awful.

Scroll to see replies

Never been so defeated by a paper. Both the fact that I found the questions difficult, and that everyone found them relatively easy. I got about 50%.
Not too bad apart from that last 6 marker and the banana question. A lot of people found it difficult though
Reply 3
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Never been so defeated by a paper. Both the fact that I found the questions difficult, and that everyone found them relatively easy. I got about 50%.

That's pretty rough, but I thought last year's paper 2 was easier, however that had lower boundaries, so I think they may be in your favour.
Original post by poseidon820
That's pretty rough, but I thought last year's paper 2 was easier, however that had lower boundaries, so I think they may be in your favour.

Same actually. Thanks for making me feel better about it. Just need to make up the ~15% I lost in the next one and call it a day.
Reply 5
There were a few quite hard questions, but overall I think it was easier than paper 1. Guesses for grade boundaries?
What was the last 6 marker again?
Original post by Lavalamp1999
What was the last 6 marker again?

About the non-reflective coating on the solar cells. It gave you their refractive indexes and the wavelength of light going in. I had no idea what to say lol.
Original post by kathschof1
About the non-reflective coating on the solar cells. It gave you their refractive indexes and the wavelength of light going in. I had no idea what to say lol.

Oh yeah. The wavelength decreases by the same proportion as the refractive index increases. So by the time the phasor passes through the coating and bounces back it has rotated by pi radians, destructively interfering with the top surface > less reflecting.
Oh yeah. The wavelength decreases by the same proportion as the refractive index increases. So by the time the phasor passes through the coating and bounces back it has rotated by pi radians, destructively interfering with the top surface > less reflecting.

Oh wow! I would never have thought of that. Thanks so much for your help!
what we thinking in terms of grade boundaries? found it a lot harder than last year's paper 2 so im really hoping for it to be lower lol. there were a lot of calculations i was surprised but that one about the bananas over 20 years was tragic. hoping they're generous with method marks

Also the fact that light slows down when changing to a higher index medium so that the angle of incidents are much lower so less total internal reflection. You could support this by doing a simple calculation of the critical value increases as it switches mediums.
How did everyone find it? I found it much better than Monday's paper but that last 6 marker was awful.

What did everyone

What did everyone get for the efficiency on the the last equation
Original post by Dahen2323
What did everyone

I just ran out of time half way through the question, so annoyed. I was going to do the intensity is proportional to 1/r^2, so 1/5.2^2 = the intensity at 5.2AU. Then I'd find the efficiency using the difference in power from the value i'd calculated? I might be remembering the question incorrectly though.
What did everyone

16%
16%

good to know i got one thing right
Original post by Tom19800
I just ran out of time half way through the question, so annoyed. I was going to do the intensity is proportional to 1/r^2, so 1/5.2^2 = the intensity at 5.2AU. Then I'd find the efficiency using the difference in power from the value i'd calculated? I might be remembering the question incorrectly though.

Yea that’s what I done

What about the question about does the solar pulse have enough energy to move from 1500 m to 2300m or whatever it was. Could you use mgh for gravitational potential energy change as you didn’t have the mass of earth and the radius ?
What about the question about does the solar pulse have enough energy to move from 1500 m to 2300m or whatever it was. Could you use mgh for gravitational potential energy change as you didn’t have the mass of earth and the radius ?

Yeah you can use mgh. It rose from 1500m to 8500m and had to charge the batteries.
Yeah you can use mgh. It rose from 1500m to 8500m and had to charge the batteries.

Okay thank you, I need help with third paper do you know any resources

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending