The Student Room Group

MA Social Work Uel

Hi!, has anyone got any hints about the interview process for getting into Uel for the Ma social work degree?

Secondly, with regards to previous social work Experience, can one state voluntary care of family members/ family friend? Is this acceptable, without a certified reference letter?

Thirdly, can one apply for bursary help without the student finance loan, does this give one advantage for a nomination of the bursary? I gather that the university nominates students for bursaries and it's a first come based service.

Thanks all.

By the way, I just got a request from uel to produce my level 2 qualifications in Maths and English! I did them over 30 years ago in Africa!, although I have redone them at a local college 2 years ago, the Exams dept are claiming they can't find any trace that I took the tests! I took them as an initial diagnostic assessment via a computerised system, will this suffice as having passed the level 2 qualifications or will I have to go back to college and sit for the tests formally in 6 weeks as Learndirect are not permitting people to book tests alone anymore! They make you go back to a classroom for 4-6 weeks! I also have a Master's degree at law with a very high merit ( 67.8% gpa)... what do I do to get the tests done? City and Guilds and other providers require a long process too! Worried that this will delay my application to get on to the course!!!! :.(

Scroll to see replies

Hi. I had my interview on the 13th and got a unconditional offer the same day. Interview is based on questions you would have experienced in a social care setting. Why do you want to study social work ? Why UEL ? Etc.

That’s really odd. They must have your record. You will defo need it to get in. I hope you get it sorted and hope to see you in September.

Best wishes
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks ShaneB...

Unfortunately, painfully speaking; African ways of dealing with simple communication is a far cry from the standards in the UK.

Despite finding out that my old Secondary School had changed its name and governing body, they still have issues with simple queries. I sent an email over a week ago...no response.

Secondly, Southbank university hve[ invited me for an interview for the 6th March. So, will see how it goes. I really wouldn't mind going there anyway.

Meanwhile, some contact at the school is making checks for the certificate and I will need to send a scanned authorisation permitting the 'messenger' in Nigeria to collect my original certificate, when and if its found.

Will keep you posted....

QUOTE=ShaneB1133;76248664]Hi. I had my interview on the 13th and got a unconditional offer the same day. Interview is based on questions you would have experienced in a social care setting. Why do you want to study social work ? Why UEL ? Etc.

That’s really odd. They must have your record. You will defo need it to get in. I hope you get it sorted and hope to see you in September.

Best wishes
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
ShaneB: pardon me asking, what was your discipline in your first degree?
Reply 4
Hello just wondering for the interview is it a group interview or a one to one interview how is the day laid out and is it on the same day as the written exam?
Original post by Ambitious18
ShaneB: pardon me asking, what was your discipline in your first degree?

Criminology and sociology
Original post by Malzzz16
Hello just wondering for the interview is it a group interview or a one to one interview how is the day laid out and is it on the same day as the written exam?

It’s an interview with one person. They ask you questions and score you.
Reply 7
Thanks ShaneB...

Unfortunately, painfully speaking; African ways of dealing with simple communication is a far cry from the standards in the UK.

Despite finding out that my old Secondary School had changed its name and governing body, they still have issues with simple queries. I sent an email over a week ago...no response.

Secondly, Southbank university hve[ invited me for an interview for the 6th March. So, will see how it goes. I really wouldn't mind going there anyway.

Meanwhile, some contact at the school is making checks for the certificate and I will need to send a scanned authorisation permitting the 'messenger' in Nigeria to collect my original certificate, when and if its found.

Will keep you posted....

QUOTE=ShaneB1133;76248664]Hi. I had my interview on the 13th and got a unconditional offer the same day. Interview is based on questions you would have experienced in a social care setting. Why do you want to study social work ? Why UEL ? Etc.

Best wishes

Thanks ShaneB...
Good news, I managed to trace my O level English and Maths. I passed my interview for Ma social work at Southbank. Was a bit of writing and research on social work theory which included NHS principles and ethics, as well as discussing a theory which has influenced one's interest in the field.

I found it quite easy and interesting. At the end one had a 'one to one' oral interview which was basically a regurgitation of the written test (a 30 minute reflection from an article extracted from the Guardian newspaper). I got a conditional offer from Southbank, however I'm waiting for the unconditional offer which following the submission of my transcripts.

Goldsmith, Uel and Greenwich rejected my application for the following reasons:

1. Goldsmith University didn't think my personal statement was intriguing enough. They thought it didn't show pasdion for the profession! I thought this was really odd! I have sent my personal statement to friends who have finished social work, and a professor of social work and the feedback was good.

2. Uel and Greenwich gave their reason as 'No Reference' was submitted in UCAS application!

I did upload the reference and sent it directly to Uel upon their request! Don't know what went wrong as my reference was relevant to social work anyway.

3. I withdrew my application from London Met.
Reply 8
Original post by ShaneB1133
Criminology and sociology

Great. I've got a Bsc in Media and New Technology and my second degree is an LLM in human rights 68.7 (gpa). 67.8 was an error quoted earlier.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ohhhh wow. Well done!!!
Great. I've got a Bsc in Media and New Technology and my second degree is an LLM in human rights 68.7 (gpa). 67.8 was an error quoted earlier.

Oh wow well done!!!!

Thanks ShaneB...
Good news, I managed to trace my O level English and Maths. I passed my interview for Ma social work at Southbank. Was a bit of writing and research on social work theory which included NHS principles and ethics, as well as discussing a theory which has influenced one's interest in the field.

I found it quite easy and interesting. At the end one had a 'one to one' oral interview which was basically a regurgitation of the written test (a 30 minute reflection from an article extracted from the Guardian newspaper). I got a conditional offer from Southbank, however I'm waiting for the unconditional offer which following the submission of my transcripts.

1. Goldsmith University didn't think my personal statement was intriguing enough. They thought it didn't show pasdion for the profession! I thought this was really odd! I have sent my personal statement to friends who have finished social work, and a professor of social work and the feedback was good.

2. Uel and Greenwich gave their reason as 'No Reference' was submitted in UCAS application!

I did upload the reference and sent it directly to Uel upon their request! Don't know what went wrong as my reference was relevant to social work anyway.

Congratulations on getting in!!! Seems like a perfect match. I wish you the best !!!
Thanks ShaneB...

Congratulations on getting in!!! Seems like a perfect match. I wish you the best !!!

Thanks!
Hello i have an interview at uel for MA i was just wondering how shall i prepare for it, do i need to have knowledge on social work? And alsp what documents i need to bring in
Thanks ShaneB...

Hi Shane B, hope you're well.

Just pleased to inform you that I also received pleasant news that I've been nominated for an NHS Bursary for the MA Social Work starting this September.

So elated. Got to start reading the theory critical reflection on the subject from now onwards to get a feel and understanding.
Heyyy

I’m soo happy for you!!!! I got nominated as well !! :smile:

Wish you nothing but the best with your course
Heyyy

I’m soo happy for you!!!! I got nominated as well !! :smile:

Wish you nothing but the best with your course

Wish you the best too, THANKS!
PLEASE could you point Malzzzz in the right direction as per UEL Social Work interview requirements. I'm sure Uel sends pre interview instructions like Southbank Uni did for mine.

I will post my experience from the interview on Malzzzz's page, hope it helps. As per documents req'd; it's clearly understood on the UCAS application and from the relevant University's emails and website. Thanks..
Original post by Malzzz16
Hello i have an interview at uel for MA i was just wondering how shall i prepare for it, do i need to have knowledge on social work? And alsp what documents i need to bring in

ginal post*by*ShaneB1133)
Thanks ShaneB...
Good news, I managed to trace my O level English and Maths. I passed my interview for Ma social work at Southbank. Was a bit of writing and research on social work theory which included NHS principles and ethics, as well as discussing a theory which has influenced one's interest in the field.*

I found it quite easy and interesting. At the end one had a 'one to one' oral interview which was basically a regurgitation of the written test (a 30 minute reflection from an article extracted from the Guardian newspaper). Uel's test may be different, but you could ask ShaneB1113 eho has recently got through to study MA social work at UEL. I've now got a confirmed unconditional offer from Southbank.

Hope this helps. Best wishes!
Reply 18

Hi Shane B, hope you're well.

Just pleased to inform you that I also received pleasant news that I've been nominated for an NHS Bursary for the MA Social Work starting this September.

So elated. Got to start reading the theory critical reflection on the subject from now onwards to get a feel and understanding.
Hello,

I came across this post now and just wondering how you knew you got the capped place. I have an unconditional offer from South Bank but need to know if I got the capped place.

Did you email them to ask? And if you did not how long did it take them from time of offer to inform you about the capped place.
Reply 19
Hi Diadem. I am having the same problem. I have been offered a place at UEL and trying to find out whether I will be nominated for bursary is proving really difficult! Have you had any luck?

Quick Reply

Latest