The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Maths New spec grade boundaries

What are your predictions for the grade boundaries? Out of 300?

I think they will be roughly the following but I may be wrong, do these look realistic to you? Im really worried
A*: 235
A: 195
B: 160

Scroll to see replies

I hope they're like that. Nobody can really predict them accurately, they could either be really high or really low. My guess is around the 240 mark for an A*. Best thing to do is to just do your best on paper 3, and put paper 2 and paper 1 behind you (as I keep telling myself).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by John19790
What are your predictions for the grade boundaries? Out of 300?

I think they will be roughly the following but I may be wrong, do these look realistic to you? Im really worried
A*: 235
A: 195
B: 160

They will be higher than average this year imo because of the high amount of resits. Although, everyone could do badly (which is what I secretly want) so the boundaries are lower than average.
Reply 3
Original post by LL2018
They will be higher than average this year imo because of the high amount of resits. Although, everyone could do badly (which is what I secretly want) so the boundaries are lower than average.

This is the first year of the course.
Reply 4
Original post by RedGiant
I hope they're like that. Nobody can really predict them accurately, they could either be really high or really low. My guess is around the 240 mark. Best thing to do is to just do your best on paper 3, and put paper 2 and paper 1 behind you (as I keep telling myself).

Do you think A will be around 200? I found pure 1 alright but pure 2 was really bad!
Do you think A will be around 200? I found pure 1 alright but pure 2 was really bad!

Possibly between 200-220. But as I say, nobody can be sure. The only thing you can do that will help is doing well on paper 3.
Reply 6
Possibly between 200-220. But as I say, nobody can be sure. The only thing you can do that will help is doing well on paper 3.

Yeah, I guess, I'll carry on revising for that. Its all up in the air. If we go off the GCSE grade boundaries they will be really low. So imo 195 could be realistic. How did you find pure 1 and pure 2. Did you find pure 2 much harder?
Reply 7
This is the first year of the course.

Sorry I thought you were talking about the old spec, didn't know the new spec had already started.
I hope they're like that. Nobody can really predict them accurately, they could either be really high or really low. My guess is around the 240 mark for an A*. Best thing to do is to just do your best on paper 3, and put paper 2 and paper 1 behind you (as I keep telling myself).

Hey can you explain your profile pic to me please? Im sorry if it seems like a silly question i just can't work it out lol
Original post by VJobanputra207
Hey can you explain your profile pic to me please? Im sorry if it seems like a silly question i just can't work it out lol

Lol, it's meant to read "don't be a jerk" :biggrin:
Original post by VJobanputra207

3rd derivative of displacement is jerk.
Reply 11

How did you find paper 3? I found it very tough
I am hoping that A* is around 240... Really dont want to resit next year.
How did you find paper 3? I found it very tough

Same, not sure if I'll get an A* now.
Does anyone know if there's an unofficial mark scheme around anywhere? I really wanna find out how I did lol
I'm seeing;
A* - 220/300
A - 184/300

They're awarding more higher grades this year and they're competing like with like so the majority year 12 and the previous year 12. It's old new spec so has to be low.
Same, not sure if I'll get an A* now.

What do you think you got paper 3? <65?
Original post by thekidwhogames
What do you think you got paper 3? <65?

Still not sure, I might have got about 60-70 but I just don't know. Still no unofficial markscheme?
If I get an A instead of A*, I'll just have to accept that (which is alright really). Either way I'm just going to not think about it too much and see what happens on results day.
(edited 5 years ago)
Still not sure, I might have got about 60-70 but I just don't know. Still no unofficial markscheme?
If I get an A instead of A*, I'll just have to accept that (which is alright really). Either way I'm just going to not think about it too much and see what happens on results day.

What about paper 1 and 2? No official mark scheme but the answers were:
a = 0.02 or something.
Prob was P(L>20)^4 / P(L>16)^4 for the 5 marks
P(L>16) for the 1 marker
3 marks for proving the probability
5 marks for the mean hypothes testing which I believe was accept H0 that mean = 18
The one about correlation; reject H0 as it was on critical region and it had follow up questions about interpration and correlation
5 marker on data value at beginning

Mech:
alpha = 14 degrees
Time was like 1 something
distance was 2 root 226
acceleration 2.25 proven
acceleration of block = 3.96
if the force was like that, frictional force increases so restulant force decrease and so does acceleration
prove the equation
x=2/3 a
tanb=5/4
x<=5/3 a or somehting like that

time for the vector was like 2 something
priv
I was telling some of my friends that sat the paper as well that the grade boundary must be low since they have figures on how many of Year 12 students get A* on their first year exams. Considering that a lot of people found the exams tough ( with the exception of TSR members because TSR usually attracts students who are good at their subject etc) and the fact the average mark per paper may be well even less than 60, it makes for an intresting case really. I feel that about 50/60 percent of first year students would be getting A* at normal maths and so the boundary for an A* may well even be 180/190 ish. Of course this is all hypothetical but the exams that edexcel have set this year were nothing like old spec maths, where you can just memorise the method and get A* quite easily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending